Prog rock
Feb 17, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #1,636 of 4,481
I'm not trying to be a smart-ass. I discovered Crim around 1979. I've been searching for something in the "vein" of those albums, plus "Islands", since that time. You're picking some of the most singular and un-duplicated music in the history of rock.

One band that I think came a little bit close was Aphrodite's Child, and their album 666. At least "The Four Horseman" off that album is kinda close...

I LOVE this album, but it's close to Crim only in spirit. It is a very, very trippy album, and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for early Prog.

Thank you, I will be ordering the CD!

Feb 17, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #1,637 of 4,481
Feb 17, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #1,638 of 4,481
The Steven Wilson album Grace for Drowning has some serious early 70s King Crimson vibes in it. Now, not at all times. I also read that at one point when Steven was remastering one of the old Crimson albums, he jokingly apologized to Robert Fripp for ripping off the sound from those albums. So even he thought it was that obvious. Fripp for his part said he didn't notice it. But I have to agree with swspiers, there aren't many out there that sound like any version of Crimson.

Feb 18, 2018 at 12:43 AM Post #1,639 of 4,481
Did I mention it's Extremely trippy? You'll have to check in and let us all know what you think of it.
Will do, I guess Thick as a brick will have to do until i receive the CD as 666 is not on Google play music.

The Steven Wilson album Grace for Drowning has some serious early 70s King Crimson vibes in it. Now, not at all times. I also read that at one point when Steven was remastering one of the old Crimson albums, he jokingly apologized to Robert Fripp for ripping off the sound from those albums. So even he thought it was that obvious. Fripp for his part said he didn't notice it. But I have to agree with swspiers, there aren't many out there that sound like any version of Crimson.
Will check that out, I have only listened to Hand Cannot erase and To the Bone

Feb 18, 2018 at 2:11 AM Post #1,640 of 4,481
Will do, I guess Thick as a brick will have to do until i receive the CD as 666 is not on Google play music.

Will check that out, I have only listened to Hand Cannot erase and To the Bone
Yeah, it's really the only solo album he's done that's this Crimson like.

Feb 20, 2018 at 7:27 AM Post #1,641 of 4,481
Musical Comic for Genesis' trippy epic, "Supper's Ready," off their album Foxtrot (1972).
Nathaniel Barlam:
"Note: This song's lyrics contain many religious and political references, but they are all in a humorous pastiche manner as the song's message is more universal than any single religious or political belief system. It is a spiritual journey that doesn't take itself too seriously, and as such my interpretation follows suit."

Feb 20, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #1,642 of 4,481
The new Organized Chaos album is quite good. (Recommended if you like bands like Pain Of Salvation and Haken)

Great album! Don't let the hideous cover art full you, this one is excellent!
Besides Haken, I hear some Faith No More (Sol Invictus) similarities.

Feb 21, 2018 at 9:48 PM Post #1,643 of 4,481
Islands.JPG

@swspiers Thanks for referring this album, ordered "discipline" and "islands", enjoying this one more.

aphrodite's child is here too, reserved for the weekend.

Feb 21, 2018 at 11:41 PM Post #1,644 of 4,481
Anyone pickup the new "legend of the saugullmen"? Not officially out on cd/vinyl quite yet but you can stream it

Feb 22, 2018 at 12:53 AM Post #1,645 of 4,481
I thought it was supposed to be released on February 9th?

Feb 22, 2018 at 12:57 AM Post #1,646 of 4,481
It was but appears it was delayed last I looked Feb 23rd is the official release for CD and March for vinyl

Feb 22, 2018 at 1:02 AM Post #1,647 of 4,481
I just grabbed it as a FLAC off Bandcamp - no room for physical media :D

Feb 23, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #1,650 of 4,481
New Gazpacho single

This band sounds like present day Marillion... just MUCH better!

Yup, that was really good!

Never heard of them before. From wikepidia:
Gazpacho's music has been described by one critic as being "classical post ambient nocturnal atmospheric neo-progressive folk world rock".[1] The music has been compared to A-ha, Radiohead, Marillion and Porcupine Tree.[2]

No wonder I like them :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back