Project Ember (Garage1217) vs Schiit Lyr
Jun 4, 2013 at 7:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

DaemonSire

500+ Head-Fier
Hi All,
I was wondering if anyone has really had a chance to review the new Project Ember amp from Garage1217 and how it stacks up against the Schiit Lyr?  Reading previous reviews/comparisons of the Project Sunrise II vs Lyr seemed very promising for the Sunrise II - especially given the much cheaper price.

Seeing as how the Project Ember is seemingly equal/better than the Sunrise II in all ways, I was wondering how it compares directly against the Lyr.

I'm pretty interested and think I'm set on picking up the Ember, but was hoping to have some opinions on it before pulling the trigger.

My phones would be Q701, Mad Dogs, HD25-1....for now...:)

Thanks

Jun 6, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #2 of 47
I'd also like to know.

Maybe I'll just have to buy it and compare it myself at the upcoming meet in Los Angeles.

Jun 24, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #3 of 47
I'd love to hear your opinion on it Kamakahah if you do get a chance to compare.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like there is much out there for reviews though.

I've talked with Jeremy @ Garage1217 several times and I'm pretty convinced I'm going the route of the Ember.  It's more customizable and cheaper.

Seeing as how the Sunrise II compared so closely to the Lyr and the Ember is on par (and greater) in a lot of ways, seems like a safe bet.

Jun 24, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #4 of 47
Well, my purchase is currently on hold. Just got a good deal on a used Emotiva mini-x a-100. Going to make some cables to hook it up to my Mad Dogs. If it doesn't work out, then i'll probably sell it and go for the Ember. 

Unless of course the Ember goes on sale, but I don't see that happening. 

Jun 27, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #6 of 47
Quote:
I just purchased an Ember so ill try and post some impressions on how it does with my 650 once I get it. Although my reviewing skills are not the best haha.

Looking forward to it. 
beerchug.gif

Jun 27, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #8 of 47
I think I'm going to pull the trigger myself...the current promo with the free vintage tube is too much to resist :)

Plus I'd like to support Jeremy.  I've emailed him a ton of questions and he has always emailed me back right away with thorough and 'personalized' answers...not the copy/paste variety.  Awesome guy.

Jun 30, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #10 of 47
Quote:
Well Ill eventually sit down and write a full review, but after getting my Ember yesterday Im in heaven :) This thing has got some serious, clean power.

What source (DAC, DRIVE, etc...) are you using with the Ember?

How is the Bass and Sub-bass with your headphones and the Ember ? the synergy must be great with both the  Q701 and the Mad Dogs... every time i read some impressions about the Ember i'm more impatient to get one... (i don't have the money for now).

Jul 5, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #11 of 47
I have a modded T40 with the Ember and imo it's a fantastic match. The Ember is set on low power with low output impedance and the t40 virtually hovers on your head!! It has an enormous amount of power and is one of the few amps that I have that really gets a grip of the t40, making it seem like a portable headphone.

I'm really chuffed with the match. Good bass weight and authority. Tremendous slam. A very lively listen. I like it a lot.

Questions to the designer can be left here. One is doing a UK tour:

http://diyah.boards.net/thread/143/project-ember?page=6&scrollTo=2240

Jul 10, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #12 of 47
Great info beyondthepale35 and iancraig10.  Cannot wait for mine to arrive.

Will be using a Music Streamer II DAC for the time being until I get either a Bifrost or Peachtree DAC-iT.

One thing I've noticed from the pictures of the RCA inputs on the Ember, are they set up as White / Red as opposed to Red / White?  Most DACs and Amps I see tend to go Red / White.  Just anticipating if I'm going to have to cross-over my cable as Bifrost and Music Streamer II are both Red / White.

Minor comment really but if you had short or thick cables, could be troublesome?

Jul 11, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #13 of 47
You are correct, they are switched. Doesnt effect me since my cable is longer but yeah, I can see how it could be annyoing with a 6" cable. You definitely made a good decision ordering one, if I wasnt so busy with school Id write a proper review but its a fantastic sounding amp. Just got my first tube to roll with and Im loving the results already.

Jul 11, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #14 of 47
Quote:
What source (DAC, DRIVE, etc...) are you using with the Ember?

How is the Bass and Sub-bass with your headphones and the Ember ? the synergy must be great with both the  Q701 and the Mad Dogs... every time i read some impressions about the Ember i'm more impatient to get one... (i don't have the money for now).

For now Im using a Modi until I can afford a Bifrost. Bass is definitely plentiful and articulate, not earth shattering but that may be just the tube Im using and my general preference to avoid really bass heavy music. Marvin Gaye and Kendrick Lamar both sound phenomenal for what its worth.

Sep 18, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #15 of 47
hey, anyone ever do the comparison with the Lyr and the Ember?  I'm interested in the results, as I've narrowed it down to those two amps to run my K702, and the Ember is sure a lot cheaper!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back