Proud new pre-owner of Zana Deux Transformer!
Jan 13, 2010 at 11:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

dasmodul

100+ Head-Fier
Most on the way.

Source 1: Esi Juli@ Sound Card
Source 2: Onkyo C-S5VL SACD Player
DAC: Cambridge Audio DacMagic (Silver)
AMP: Zana Deux Transformer(Silver)
Interconnect RCA: CablePro Reflection v2
Interconnect Toslink: Monoprice Optical x2
Interconnect Digital Coax: Monster Cable

Headphone 1: Sennheiser HD595
Headphone 2: AKG 702

Jan 13, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #2 of 17
gratz. I wonder how it sounds with DacMagic
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 13, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #3 of 17
After some burn-in of the components, I will be able to get a Benchmark PRE in for comparison. I'll be sure to post my thoughts on the differences.

Jan 13, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #4 of 17
That must have been a tough night for your back pocket...

Jan 13, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #6 of 17
It was a rough night yes :-\ I did read some positive remarks on the K702/Raptor combo. They sound like an amp with a signature I will like.

Jan 13, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by dasmodul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My first head-fi setup!! Stokked. Sent in the check for the Raptor and rest is on the way. I've had the Senn HD595s for a long time, monster coax had lying around and the Onkyo is pretty new, everything else was ordered last night! Thanks to all you guys for answering my questions and helping me dive in to this addicting 'hobby'. :p

Source 1: Esi Juli@ Sound Card
Source 2: Onkyo C-S5VL SACD Player
DAC: Cambridge Audio DacMagic (Silver)
AMP: Ray Samuels "Raptor" Tube (Silver)
Interconnect RCA: CablePro Reflection v2
Interconnect Toslink: Monoprice Optical x2
Interconnect Digital Coax: Monster Cable

Headphone 1: Sennheiser HD595
Headphone 2: AKG 702

Good for you. you have nice setup. please give impressions. Now all you need tis the 54.00 JVC 900 cans to go with it. This hobby is nuts costing me an arm and a leg/

Jan 14, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcpoor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
k, just making sure you know the raptor is a otl design and those aren't usually recommended for lower impedance headphones.

maybe the very low damping factor would help loosen up the otherwise polite bass of the 701.

^^all speculation

Jan 14, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #10 of 17
Yeah, and it's not like I'm married to the K702s. The fun part of getting this system is to now have a 'collection' of different cans :))) I probably see an 'impolite' Denon AHD7000 not far behind...and then we move to Senns..haha

Jan 15, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #11 of 17
In a strange turn of events that included a mailed envelope without a stamp, I made a last minute upgrade and now will be the proud owner of a Zana Deux Transformer instead! I have no idea yet on when I'll be getting it but as before I will update with impressions when I do.

<post title edited>

Jan 15, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #12 of 17
grats on ZDT.

Feb 8, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats on the ZDT! That's a fine piece of hardware.

I bet it is. The price difference between the ZDT and ZD is only $300 and I am wondering what the subtle differences between the two are (sound stage wise). Using either as a preamp seems like a very compelling reason to get one or the other--their specs seem too close to call in the preamp arena. The ZDT driving speakers is a + as well. I've got to read up on Transformer Coupled amps versus OTL amps!
confused_face_2.gif

EDIT:
eek.gif
I just realized that the ZDT is not a preamp. Oops. Two different animals. Sorry.

Feb 8, 2010 at 6:03 AM Post #15 of 17
Nice set up.
Waiting for your impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back