PS-1 vs. HP-1000
Sep 19, 2006 at 2:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 75

VR6ofpain

Headphoneus Supremus
PS-1-4.JPG

Does anyone think that the PS-1 will continue to hold its value and/or increase in value as time goes on in a similar fashion to how the HP-1000 series cans did?

Correct me if I am wrong, but weren't there PS-1's produced in a more limited number than the total combined amount of HP-1, HP-2, and HP-3's? The only thing that I could see altering this is the fact that the HP-1000 series cans did not have a cult following at the time trying to keep them in prestine condition. In fact it seems as though people didn't care much for headphones back in the HP-1000 days (though you would think the owners would, considering they payed a good penny for them). So maybe the PS-1 won't as much go up in value, but retain its value?

I believe I will one day have to own the PS-1 and I wonder if I will even be able to justify buying one (if they stay over $1K, I won't be able too)!
plainface.gif

PixelPusher_PS1_05.jpg

[size=xx-small]...yes they look a that cool[[/size]

Sep 19, 2006 at 2:52 AM Post #2 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
PixelPusher_PS1_05.jpg

wow, didn't notice the "LIMITED EDITION" watermark for a second there...
wink.gif

Sep 19, 2006 at 2:56 AM Post #4 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Im willing to bet you'd enjoy the PS1. Its the bassiest thing Ive ever heard.

...because I used my HF-1 with Flats and love my K81DJ right?
icon10.gif

Strangely enough I still love my K601, even though if it had just a little more bass punch I would love it more.

Sep 19, 2006 at 2:56 AM Post #5 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by camille
wink.gif

LOL... thats not a watermark.

A very small number of PS1s were made using leftover parts from the Freehand systems wireless headphone. That headphone said "limited edition" on it. Most of the PS1s that used those left-over earcups were re-worked to remove that text, but not all of them were completely re-worked. So some PS1s have the standard PS1 text etched over a faint remnant ghost image of the freehand text.

Sep 19, 2006 at 2:57 AM Post #6 of 75
Quote:

...because I used my HF-1 with Flats and love my K81DJ right?
icon10.gif

wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Sep 19, 2006 at 2:58 AM Post #7 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by camille
wink.gif

he must have one of the "Freesystems" PS-1s, that used housings from a prototype wireless grado idea for the cups.

Sep 19, 2006 at 2:59 AM Post #8 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
he must have one of the "Freesystems" PS-1s, that used housings from a prototype wireless grado idea for the cups.

I thought all PS-1 were Freesystems prototypes like this?

Sep 19, 2006 at 3:11 AM Post #9 of 75
Quote:

nope, just the earlier ones!

Sep 19, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #10 of 75
Quote:

Looks like grawk's Zebra's HHF-1's
tongue.gif

My PS-1's have those markings under the PS-1 lettering but it is much less noticeable than some of the photos I've seen. The only thing I could see unseating my PS-1's from the thrown is after April when I hear the L3000's... having that level of SQ in a sealed can could mean a lot to me.

I've never heard the HP series so can't really answer your question but the number of unmodded PS-1's seem to be dissipating.

Sep 19, 2006 at 4:22 AM Post #11 of 75
Well it is official, 10 responses (including my own) without an answer to the questions in the original post. I love head-fi. You post some photos of a headphone and everyone starts chatting about random things. Awesome!
cool.gif

Sep 19, 2006 at 4:26 AM Post #12 of 75
It's impossible to predict how the valuation of the PS-1 will grow over time.

Still, my gut feeling is that we will see a prime condition PS-1 sell for well over $2k in the next [EDIT]year or so[/EDIT]. HP1000... I don't know. Even I'm surprised at the prices we're seeing lately (i.e., at $1,500 or higher). Still, it's not beyond the realm of unreasonable to imagine one selling for more than $2k in the next few years.

The PS-1 has a unique sound. I didn't find it as rewarding as the HP1000. I don't regret selling mine (though I'm sure over time it will demand an even higher price than what I sold mine at). I do somewhat regret selling my HP2.

Best,

-Jason

Sep 19, 2006 at 4:27 AM Post #13 of 75
It will certainly at least hold its value, but I would be surprised if it started going up much anytime soon. Give it some time and I'm sure it will though.

Sep 19, 2006 at 4:30 AM Post #14 of 75
Quote:

Well it is official, 10 responses (including my own) without an answer to the questions in the original post. I love head-fi. You post some photos of a headphone and everyone starts chatting about random things. Awesome!
cool.gif

I had a chance to hear them both... but on separate occasions and completely differnet rigs. So take this for what its worth (not much). The HP1000 was a HIGH$$$ tube driven setup and the PS1 was a PC as source and a gilmore amp of some sort. Somewhere on here theres some meet pics of me listening to the HP1000 and holding a Qualia.... I tihnk.

From what I recall the HP1000 in that system was flatter and less colored. I cant remember much, but the PS1 setup had a LOT more bass.

Sep 19, 2006 at 5:34 AM Post #15 of 75
Who knows what's going to happen to future prices? It's like trying to predict the California real estate market.

If you really love it and must have it to truly be happy, just buy it and worry about resale price later. But if you love it so, why would you ever resell it?

Just make sure you listen to the PS-1 and various systems compared to other great 'phones before jumping the gun to avoid future regrets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back