PS Audio P3/P5/P10
Aug 29, 2016 at 9:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

bigfatpaulie

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello,

I am looking for some input from people who have used two or more of the PS Audio regenerators.  I'm interested in knowing the sonic differences between the models for devices will under the maximum capacity.

For example, is there a benefit to using a P10 over a P3 with just a DAC - something that a P3 could easily handle on its own.

Jan 24, 2017 at 3:57 AM Post #3 of 14
P10 and P5 here. During my research, here are some of my conclusions:

1) outside of listed differences in specs (load, plugs, etc), the higher end models can maintain lower output impedences under different loads which some say should have all sorts of positive results.
2) p3 and p5: have active cooling (i.e. Fans) and p10 is passive (i.e. Quiet)
3) some comments that p3 seems to be most reliable of three models
4) remember stated loads of equipment aren't what they could use at their peak. Probably more of an issue with amps.

Jan 24, 2017 at 4:16 AM Post #4 of 14
P10 and P5 here. During my research, here are some of my conclusions:

1) outside of listed differences in specs (load, plugs, etc), the higher end models can maintain lower output impedences under different loads which some say should have all sorts of positive results.
2) p3 and p5: have active cooling (i.e. Fans) and p10 is passive (i.e. Quiet)
3) some comments that p3 seems to be most reliable of three models
4) remember stated loads of equipment aren't what they could use at their peak. Probably more of an issue with amps.

That's pretty much everything about it. And the later model P3 does seem to be more reliable. When I mentioned about hum on P3 and P10, PS audio tend to ask me to send them back and offer a quote of fixing at $250 without even asking too much about my electricity in home. In their own posts, however, they tend to say that it's because of DC in the line.

Jan 24, 2017 at 4:48 AM Post #5 of 14
Forgot to mention. I haven't really tested my P5 and P10 head to head. P10 is on bigger system and P5 is on headphone setup. These things are big so not really easy to move around to test.

Jan 26, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #6 of 14
I picked up a pre-loved P3 for a very attractive price recently and have been using it on my headphone rig.  I can't help but feel as if its a bit of overkill for a small number of components.  The power in my townhouse varies about 3 volts during the day.  THD% of the input signal has hovered at around 2% while the output signal is consistently at 0.1% THD.    The P3 is loafing along and rarely runs under a load of more than 65 Watts.  

While I might not be taxing it fully at the moment, it was a good buy and I am sure it will serve a multitude of different roles while I own it.  

Jan 27, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #7 of 14
TBone,

I really like the P3 for headphone setup. The fan (which isn't loud in first place) isn't an issue with headphones.

I am interested in performance differences you are seeing/hearing.

Jan 27, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #8 of 14
I am interested in performance differences you are seeing/hearing.

I can't really give you an A/B comparison.  I acquired the P3 simultaneously with the arrival of a new DAC.  I am not thrilled with the DAC's USB input performance and will be evaluating a Singxer SU-1 to see if it clears up the poor performance I am experiencing.  

That's a very long winded way of saying that I have too many changes in my system to pin any one change on the introduction of the P3.

I can tell you that I am VERY impressed with the P3's ability to connect to PS Audio's "PowerPlay" website and track voltage / wattage / THD over time.  I can see graphically how the voltage in my home swings during the day.  

More than anything I feel like the P3 is an insurance policy.  It gives me confidence that my system has a solid foundation for the investments that I've made in my other audio components.

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #9 of 14
Since this is the only thread on the PS Audio regenerators, I thought I would share my reports for February 2017.
You can see how the voltage and noise swings throughout the month & what the output of my P3 Power Plant is.

Here's an example of how voltage swings during the day.
That's a little more than I would have anticipated.

Mar 5, 2017 at 5:39 AM Post #10 of 14
The P10 is on my long term list of upgrades for my main system. It's nice see them getting a little bit or traction on the forums. Thanks for posting your logs!

Mar 5, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #11 of 14
Your main system a headphone or speaker system? Rumors have started that a P20 is coming out soon. Probably good time to pick up used p10 once those come out.

Mar 5, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #12 of 14

Both hence the need for a P10. I have the following plugged into my Surgex SA-1810:

2 powered speakers
turntable
DAC
AMP
iFi iPower 12v
iFi iPower 5v
Computer
MIT Predator 6
DDC

Good intel on the P20 coming out and the offloading of P10's. That may fit into my timeline nicely.

Mar 26, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #14 of 14
The "PCM" P5 and P10 are being discontinued. The new "DSD" P5 and P10 units will be priced at $4999 and $7499, respectively. PS Audio will be accepting direct trade-ins of the earlier models for discounts towards the new models, as explained in the first thread linked below.

See here about the discontinuation of the "PCM" models and upcoming trade-in opportunities: https://forum.psaudio.com/t/p10-and-p5-discontinued/

See here about the new "DSD" models: https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=42194

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back