PS4 Audio with PC Speakers
Dec 29, 2014 at 9:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

skillfulperson

New Head-Fier
Hey

I got a PS4 for Christmas and am looking for some advice on audio for it. Currently for my PS3 i use my monitor for the pc along with the listen to this device function on the computer by connecting the ps3 via RCA to one of these - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-UCA202-U-Control-low-latency-Interface/dp/B000KW2YEI/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1419863198&sr=8-6&keywords=usb+dac via the audio output.

I just realised that the ps4 does not support RCA, so i will have to find an alternative for my audio. Looking for a similar solution. I thought about buying a toslink to 3.5mm cable and plugging it into my mic jack on my pc/ the usb dac, but im unsure if it would work effectively. 

Would love to hear opinions or if im on the right tracks. 

Dec 29, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #2 of 4
No - the Toslink to 3.5mm cables are really just optical cables. The 3.5mm plug has a small hole at the end to let the laser light out. You can only use those in a 3.5mm Toslink jack. The cable does NOT convert Toslink to 3.5mm analog stereo. For that, you need a DAC.

I'm not a gamer, but I think what many people do is buy a Mixamp for the PS4.
http://www.astrogaming.com/mixamp%E2%84%A2-pro/3AM99-AGU9X-975.html

Dec 29, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #3 of 4
Ahh wasnt wanting to spend £100 on another thing, I dont think the mixamp would answer my problems anyway because i want to keep my speakers plugged into my computer. Would the thing ive got now do? like plug a optical cable into the optical out port in the device i own? but dont know how to get the computer to listen to input and play it through the speakers. 

Thanks for the reply though

Dec 29, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #4 of 4
Why do you need to go from your PS4 into your PC? Your speakers are powered, correct? If they are, then you would go from the PS4 into a device like the mixamp (or another DAC with an optical input) and then analog into the powered speakers. You can either just unplug the speakers from the PC and plug them into the mixamp, or you can use a splitter or switch box.

Can't you also plug a 3.5mm headset into the PS4 controller? You could come off that into the powered speakers as well.

What you cannot do is connect a digital output to an analog input. That will NOT work - even if you by a cable that physically fits. There MUST be a conversion from digital to analog that takes place somewhere, either in the PS4, the PC, or a device that sits in-between like the mixamp or some other DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back