Pure i-20 iPod/iPhone Dock as a DAC
Jan 10, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #17 of 554
its cheaper digital docks like this that give me hope that some day.. maybe even soon, someone will create a portable, and compact digital out cable, similar to an LOD, for an ipod... though i wonder if the demand would actually be there.. 

Jan 10, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #18 of 554
here:
http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/pure-i-20-easily-connect-your-ios-device-to-your-media-centre-05-01-2011/

it says:

"The i-20also includes two digital outputs; coaxial S/PDIF and optical TOSLINK, bypassing the integral DAC allowing you to play the raw digital audio from your iOS device and your hi-fi amplifier to process the audio."

Jan 10, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #20 of 554

Quote:
here:
http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/pure-i-20-easily-connect-your-ios-device-to-your-media-centre-05-01-2011/

it says:

"The i-20also includes two digital outputs; coaxial S/PDIF and optical TOSLINK, bypassing the integral DAC allowing you to play the raw digital audio from your iOS device and your hi-fi amplifier to process the audio."

oooooooooooh.... now if it could only operate without being plugged in..
very_evil_smiley.gif

maybe some DIY'er could buy this thing, gut it, and pair it down for portable and battery operated use.. I'd certainly get in line!

Jan 10, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #21 of 554

Quote:
Quote:
here:

it says:

oooooooooooh.... now if it could only operate without being plugged in..
very_evil_smiley.gif

maybe some DIY'er could buy this thing, gut it, and pair it down for portable and battery operated use.. I'd certainly get in line!

^that is my problem too..
it is not made to be PORTABLE.

i hope they did think about people like us who want things to be light, cord-free...

PURE, are you listening?

Jan 10, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #22 of 554
Yeah, I think that people need to be a little patient.  I know Wadia was a novelty when they first introduced the digital out from iPod, but it is becoming more and more comoditized...meaning that they won't be able to charge us an arm and a leg for ipod digital out soon enough.  Eventually, it will be commonplace, even in the portable world (my guess about 1-2 years)

Jan 10, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #23 of 554

Quote:
^that is my problem too..
it is not made to be PORTABLE.

i hope they did think about people like us who want things to be light, cord-free...

PURE, are you listening?

i dont doubt for a second that there arent plenty of people/companies that have considered a portable digital out for ipods, however getting Apple to give the nod is undoubtedly a major hurdle if not a complete block.

Jan 10, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #24 of 554
When I saw this I was also hoping it would be portable and pocketable. I would be in for somehow getting my iPhone to be a transport with still being a small size so that I could fit in my pocket without a massive buldge my iPhone 4, Arrow 12he 3g and the "digital lod" for a sub 150 price. This is definitely a step in the right direction though.

Jan 10, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #25 of 554
still, even not portable i find this product very interesting.

seeing all the connections out, the inbuilt DAC and a remote is still bang for the buck dock.

now, let's wait for more review inputs of owners.

Jan 11, 2011 at 4:18 AM Post #26 of 554

i dont doubt for a second that there arent plenty of people/companies that have considered a portable digital out for ipods, however getting Apple to give the nod is undoubtedly a major hurdle if not a complete block.

Well the Solo is battery powered, portable (although a little too big) and Apple certified so it's certainly possible, it's just too expensive compared to this one.

Jan 11, 2011 at 9:07 AM Post #27 of 554

Quote:
Well the Solo is battery powered, portable (although a little too big) and Apple certified so it's certainly possible, it's just too expensive compared to this one.

the issue i have with the solo is that i would use it with the already sort of bulky jh3a, which would be a bit too much for portable use IMO, but even more so than that is the price, especially since it is being paid for a lot of features that in my case are not needed.

it must be possible to make a digital out that is comparable in size to a lod, if not ever so slightly bigger. 

Jan 11, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #28 of 554
If it's true what Ken or Vinnie write in the Solo thread that such a device must be able to charge the iDevice when connected in order to be certified and thereby get access to the decoder chip I don't think it's going to get much smaller than the Solo due to battery size. But it would be really cool to get something perhaps the size of the Pico Slim or smaller that would supply a digital out from an iDevice and do nothing other than that.

Jan 11, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #29 of 554
Wow this is sweet. I had all but given up on my iPod...... :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back