Q701 DAC + AMP for my computer
Mar 7, 2013 at 4:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

huddy

New Head-Fier
Hi

I realise there's probably quite a few threads around talking about this, but I still seem to be undecided what I should go for I think mainly because a lot of the suggestions were not based on experience (i.e people who had actually owned the 701s and the DAC/AMP they were recommending); so please when it comes to suggesting a DAC and /or AMP please do it so only if you have actually used them with the q701 or have it on very good authority the combination your suggesting is a good one, that would help me a lot, thanks :)

That said I'm new to the hi-fi/audio/headphones world and i'm trying to find a good DAC/AMP for my Q701s, I'll be using them on my computer with a combination of FLACs, spotify, movies and some gaming :).

I've tried these out with the Dac Magic plus but wasn't very impressed at all, so I've decided to move on and I tried out a friends arcam rpac and that sounded pretty good, so I could go for that but I'm thinking there's something better out there and like I say I'm no audiophile but I do like high quality music! 

I've heard all sorts about FiiO stuff, but like I say just want some opinions from people who OWN the Q701s and what you use with them! 

I'm guessing I will need both a DAC and an AMP or maybe something that does both? In terms of budget i'm thinking no more than £300ish for both?

A friend recomnended this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/E-01-Headphone-Amplifier-with-ALPS-potentiometer-Base-on-lehmann-amp-115V-230V-/110849643136?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item19cf275280 

Which comes highly recommended but I just wanted to see what owners of actual Q701 are using and obviously the above is only an AMP so any DAC recommendations in conjuction with that? 

Thanks again for your help!

Billy 

Mar 8, 2013 at 6:12 AM Post #2 of 3
I had the K701 for longer than, well, for a long time. The FiiO E9 was a fine amp to drive them. So were a lot of other things that can handle 1-2 mW/ch output. They're pretty stable, just insensitive - not really the dragon that a lot of reviews make them into. Take it or leave it.

DAC-wise; that's an even more slippery slope. What do you have presently in that respect?

Personally, I'd lean towards the MF V-CAN over the E9, because it's better put together (IME/IMO), but both are good. If you want a classier/better take on the TPA6120, the CIA VHP2 would be such a example - at six times the price of the E9 (not worth it imho, but it is what it is; their customer service is STELLAR too). I'd probably not even worry about the whole "DAC thing" unless you either: A) have nothing suitable/clean right now or B) really like spending money.

Alternately, depending on what kind of space, money, etc you have - a "full size" integrated amplifier or receiver would be a suitable device as well. I like Yamaha and Marantz in general, but there are plenty of good brands out there.

Mar 8, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #3 of 3
I'm currently using a Titanium HD soundcard + a Schiit Magni for my Q701's.  I play games, watch a ton of movies, and of course listen to music with this combo and it does a great job.  The setup cost me a little over $200 and I'm fully satisfied with it.  If you didn't want a sound card though, consider getting the Schiit Modi to complete the Schiit stack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back