QUAD ERA-1 Thread
Jan 24, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #226 of 2,268
Wondering if an owner of the ERA-1's can tell me what is the termination hp side 2.5 or 3.5mm I only use balanced cables with my amps, I can't seem to find any info on this thanks..

Jan 25, 2019 at 3:12 AM Post #227 of 2,268
3.5mm. You want the connectors to be quite slim (many already are) as there is a recess limitting width.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #230 of 2,268
They don't lack any body at all and are overall maybe slightly warm, due to somewhat fuller bass quantity, but there is also great spark and air to the treble. .

As compared to something like Audeze X, the bass response of the Quad's does not possess the same thickness, which, could be considered a good thing, and certainly not a deficit.
I also find them to have a very very nice midrange, which i feel is their signature sound.
A few reviewers have felt the trebles are pronounced, but, i dont find that this is the case at all.
I suspect that if the Quads seem bright to a listener, then the gear pushing them is the reason, and not the Quads.
Their treble isn't rolled off, but its certainly not their reason to exist, as that award goes to their mids.
This is a fine set of headphones @1500 USD. and for about half that, this is even better.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #234 of 2,268
As compared to something like Audeze X, the bass response of the Quad's does not possess the same thickness, which, could be considered a good thing, and certainly not a deficit.
I also find them to have a very very nice midrange, which i feel is their signature sound.
A few reviewers have felt the trebles are pronounced, but, i dont find that this is the case at all.
I suspect that if the Quads seem bright to a listener, then the gear pushing them is the reason, and not the Quads.
Their treble isn't rolled off, but its certainly not their reason to exist, as that award goes to their mids.

I am comparing them with modded early edition HE-6s mainly, which are my main headphones. Compared to the LCD-X what you describe matches quite well I think, from memory. The midrange is great indeed, but there are many a planar with beautiful midrange (granted most of them a lot more expensive for this midrange quality).
For me what defines these headphones is how dynamic, impactful, tactile and fast they are and how sounds just pop out from a black background. You only get this with very headphones, like HE-6 (require modding) on a top rig and Abyss. They are in my top 5 all times headphones for rock/metal. The bandwidth they have is amazing, which is indeed a trait of other planars too, but nevertheless really well executed with the Quads. Even with the busiest music they don't break a sweat.

I only tried 2 amps with them, but I have a feeling despite their relative efficiency, they love a very focused and clean sounding amplifier to deliver this kind of performance.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #236 of 2,268
I. The midrange is great indeed.
For me what defines these headphones is how dynamic, impactful, tactile and fast they are and how sounds just pop out from a black background.
I only tried 2 amps with them, but I have a feeling despite their relative efficiency, they love a very focused and clean sounding amplifier to deliver this kind of performance.

Music lives in the midrange, and the designer of these headphones, i believe, designed their tone around the mids.
I think he initially created their unusually good mids, then implemented the bass and treble so that they compliment the mids.
This headphones have such an overall pleasing balance.

It really is quite a sound for $800 USD.
If you are reading this and just dont want to spend that much, then wait for a good used set to appear.
This always happens, and these are worth waiting for, worth owning.

Jan 28, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #237 of 2,268
It appears that the Brainwavz Alara may be from the same oem template. Wonder how they would compare to the Quads, and especially highlight if there was any custom tuning performed by either brand or they are just straight off the shelf.

Jan 28, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #238 of 2,268
Cannot comment on the sound, but those Alara seem to only come with the velour pads (2 pairs), that imo are not as good sounding as the leather ones that are one of the options included with the Quad. The sound with velour pads has some midbass bloat, less focus and is softer/less dynamic sounding.

All else being the same (which we don't know) for the pads reason alone I would consider a difference in price.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #239 of 2,268
I love these headphones. Any long-time Sennheiser lovers should definitely check these out. A planar that gets the midrange right!
Most planars get the midrange right. It's the upper mids that they lose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back