Question about amp/dac stack with dt770 80ohm
May 17, 2017 at 4:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

zackw419

Head-Fier
I own a saffire 6 1.1 soundcard for music production

https://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/saffire-6-usb/specifications

I want something powerful enough to drive my dt700's to their full potential. I was thinking of getting the magni and stacking it with the saffire 6.

My question is. Based on the specs of the saffire 6, is the DAC sufficient?

Since I still do use the saffire 6 for recording I'm trying to figure out a way to implement it into the mix...Or sell it and get something with a good latency and a good dac and or dac/amp that is make with music production/recording in mind. An all in one kind of thing.

Thoughts?

May 17, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #2 of 7
For audio production (creating, mixing, critical listening), I would say to get some Sony MDR-V6 or MDR-7506 headphones.
From my understanding, boring & neutral headphones, are the best choice for audio production.
And use the DT770 for music enjoyment.

May 18, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #5 of 7
I appreciate it however I am only in question about the dac/amp stack in this case :)
I would say for now to skip getting a DAC and just connect an external headphone amplifier to the Saffire.

May 20, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #7 of 7
I own a saffire 6 1.1 soundcard for music production

https://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/saffire-6-usb/specifications

I want something powerful enough to drive my dt700's to their full potential. I was thinking of getting the magni and stacking it with the saffire 6.

My question is. Based on the specs of the saffire 6, is the DAC sufficient?

I wouldn't worry about the DAC itself, check instead if the Saffire 6 can output a fixed line out signal to an amp. If it can, then skip the DAC, and just make sure you get a headphone amp with a low output impedance.

Since I still do use the saffire 6 for recording I'm trying to figure out a way to implement it into the mix...Or sell it and get something with a good latency and a good dac and or dac/amp that is make with music production/recording in mind. An all in one kind of thing.

You can set the interface as the input device and the DAC as the output device, but personally I'd only do that if your interface can't spit out a fixed voltage line out to an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back