Question about balanced DAC/Amp
Jul 8, 2015 at 12:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

bclark8923

500+ Head-Fier
Looking into getting a balance system. For the Amp I understand it as it drives direct amplification cleanly to each headphone. But for a balanced DAC, what difference is it making? Is it just each channel has cleaner sound because of the reduced interference? 

Curious semi-audiophile :)

Jul 8, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #2 of 4

A DAC has analog output circuitry, and if that circuit shares a common ground between the channels, it can't be balanced.  In that case it would also be subject to common mode noise, which would then be fed into your balanced amp.  So in theory you'd want to go balanced all the way through the analog chain to get all of the benefits of balanced operation.

At least that's how I understand it.... 
smile.gif

Jul 9, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #3 of 4
  Looking into getting a balance system. For the Amp I understand it as it drives direct amplification cleanly to each headphone. But for a balanced DAC, what difference is it making? Is it just each channel has cleaner sound because of the reduced interference? 

Curious semi-audiophile :)

From my best understanding (at least in my brain).
The main benefit for a balanced connection it help feed a quality signal over longer distances.
And also makes sure the signals reach the speaker or headphone cup (diaphragm) at the same time(?), for better imaging(sound stage?).
An un-balanced connection is one signal channel and one ground channel, per speaker or headphone cup (diaphragm)
A balanced connection is two signal channels, with one (or two?) grounding channel(s), per speaker or headphone cup.
Headphone cables are usually a short distance, so I'm assuming a headphone with balanced connection helps with imaging (sound stage?)
And I guess a balanced connection helps reduce interface (another guess).

Jul 10, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #4 of 4
Balanced is one of the most abused and misused words in hifi.

The main benefit for a balanced connection it help feed a quality signal over longer distances. Yes

And also makes sure the signals reach the speaker or headphone cup (diaphragm) at the same time(?), for better imaging(sound stage?). No

An un-balanced connection is one signal channel and one ground channel, per speaker or headphone cup (diaphragm) Sorta

A balanced connection is two signal channels, with one (or two?) grounding channel(s), per speaker or headphone cup. Not quite

Headphone cables are usually a short distance, so I'm assuming a headphone with balanced connection helps with imaging (sound stage?) No

And I guess a balanced connection helps reduce interface (another guess). Sorta

Ok here's the super condensed version that ignores some details/technical matters.

Unbalanced (aka single ended in this scenario): You have one signal wire. Your reference point is ground (zero volts for all intents and purposes). Your output (headphone or speaker) is the voltage difference between the signal and ground.

Balanced: You have two signal wires. There is a ground, but you don't use it directly. Your output is the difference between the two signal wires. Typically the signal in these two wires are inverted from each other, but not necessarily. One of the wires could simply be zero volts, which also works. Just because that wire is zero does not mean it is ground. If that doesn't make sense, don't worry about it.

Unbalanced: if you have crap/noise/interference in a signal wire, and you take the difference to ground, then you get that crap on your output.

Balanced: If you have equal crap on both signal wires, then taking the difference cancels out the crap. Awesome, except it only cancels if both wires are perfectly balanced and implemented correctly, otherwise you've just doubled your device cost and complexity for no reason.

A well done unbalanced system can sound great. A poorly done balanced system will not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back