Question about mini-dac and XLR->RCA
Aug 16, 2005 at 8:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

slt

New Head-Fier
I will get an Apogee mini-dac in a few days, and I am going to connect the analog-out from this to a Lehmann Black Cube amp, which does not have balanced inputs, only RCA.

I know that I could connect the two via the the mini-dac's 1/8" jack and a mini-jack -> RCA cable, but I would prefer to use the dac's XLR output which obviously will require either XLR->RCA adapters or XLR->RCA cables.

I have read some other threads about the mini-dac and XLR->RCA using either adapters or cables, and apparently there should be no problems with this, but I have a specific question about pin 3 of the XLR. It seems that most XLR->RCA adapters, e.g. the Neutrik NA2FPMF, have both pin 1 and 3 connected to ground, but I remember an old thread about the Benchmark dac1 and XLR->RCA where it was recommended to leave the pin 3 of the XLR unconnected, so I guess the question in a nutshell is:

If i want XLR->RCA from the mini-dac, either via adapters or cables, should pin 3 of the XLR be connected to ground or be left unconnected?

Aug 17, 2005 at 1:26 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by slt
I will get an Apogee mini-dac in a few days . . .

.....I remember an old thread about the Benchmark dac1 and XLR->RCA where it was recommended to leave the pin 3 of the XLR unconnected . . .

If i want XLR->RCA from the mini-dac, either via adapters or cables, should pin 3 of the XLR be connected to ground or be left unconnected?

Congrats on your Mini-DAC. I have one with a pcdp transport and think it a great solution.

Many of the old DAC1 XLR out-related discussions about floating pins were for connecting HD6xx headphones to the XLR outputs or building a XLR to phono jack adapter (I built one..... 8~) for other types of cans.

For a regular XLR - RCA cable, you want to short pins one and three together just as all adapters do. I have a DIY XLR - RCA cable with this configuration and it sounds killer.

Look here: http://www.mediacollege.com/audio/co...xlr-rca-1.html

Additionally, with the XLRs' internal jumpers set to calibrated mode (not adjustable from volume knob), you might find the signal a little hot. I had to turn down my XLR outs a bit to connect to a GLite with the aforementioned cable.

Aug 17, 2005 at 1:44 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by eastein
I'm using the cardas xlr to rca with audience au24 rca ic's, sound is much better than a respected (no names) but much less expensive 1/8" to rca from my apogee mini.

http://www.cardas.com/content.php?ar...&product_id=52

I think your configuration is optimal as it allows rolling of RCA cables (if into that sort of thing) to find the sound you like. I just happened to have XLR connectors and some nice Kimber PBJ hanging around.

Other diffs: Playing a 1k sine wave at 90 db, the mini out measured .7 volts. The XLR outs measured 2.3 volts.

Aug 17, 2005 at 5:54 AM Post #5 of 8
Thanks for the reponses so far.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drp
Additionally, with the XLRs' internal jumpers set to calibrated mode (not adjustable from volume knob), you might find the signal a little hot. I had to turn down my XLR outs a bit to connect to a GLite with the aforementioned cable.

This prompts another question.

Since I don't have a voltmeter and am generally quite a noob when it comes to this kind of electronics, I would prefer, at least initially, not to try to recalibrate the XLR outputs. So if I leave them in the VAR setting, I guess that I should set the front level knob to somewhat less than max. output, e.g. maybe at 12 o'clock position?

Aug 17, 2005 at 11:31 AM Post #6 of 8
Slt,

If you're going to hook an amp to the XLR outs, you really should set the XLRs to calibrated mode. It's just two jumper position changes that are clearly marked in the Apogee manual (available online). Make sure the Mini-DAC is unplugged...... Be a good idea to download the manual to start reading about the excellent piece of gear you'll be using. Ask questions if at all concerned; there are several Mini-DAC users here.

Don't worry about adjusting the internal output level pots; just use as is. A higher output level will more just affect the range of your amp's volume knob.

Aug 17, 2005 at 4:20 PM Post #7 of 8
drp,

Thanks again.
I have actually downloaded the manual, and if it's safe to just move the jumpers to the TRIM position, then I will definitely do that.

Sep 11, 2005 at 10:19 AM Post #8 of 8
I've just found this older thread and got intrigurd by the Eastein's comment on XLR to RCA adapter being much better than the 1/8" to RCA one with his Mini-Dac. Anyone else with similar experiences? I wonder whether it's the Cardas versus no name or XLR versus 1/8" that made the difference...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back