Question about open headphones (Sennheiser HD 598)
Jul 28, 2014 at 12:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Sydite

New Head-Fier
I really want to upgrade my audio setup eventually. Schiit Stack + $200ish headphones. Debating between the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80ohm or the Sennheiser HD 598.

From what I've gathered:
The DT 770s are closed and sound more fun. They're also supposed to be extremely comfortable.
The HD 598s are open and have a wider soundstage. They're considered neutral and bring out an accurate sound. The cable is also detachable so they'll likely last longer. They look comfortable but I haven't heard as much praise from them as I have from the DT 770s in that regard.

Now, here's the issue: My mic. I'm using a Samson Go Mic. It sits on my desk and picks up sound pretty well but not too much. If I whisper it might be inaudible, but everything above that sounds fine. (To give you an idea of sensitivity.)

Now I've heard the HD 598s, since they're open, leak sound a bit. Will this be a problem? I frequently Skype with friends while listening to music and/or playing games. If the leak is significant, this will cause problems. However, I just don't know how much would leak.

So, owners of the HD 598s or owners of similar open headphones -- will the sound leak get picked up by my Samson Go Mic during Skype calls?

Jul 28, 2014 at 4:59 AM Post #2 of 3
I don't think you'll have any problems with open headphones and any microphone for Skyping purposes. Products like the Antlion Modmic, which is specifically designed for open or closed headphones, or desktop mics are used with open headphones all the time. I even see people using desktop mounted condenser microphones for Skyping purposes on twitch.tv and youtube with no problem. The only time you really need to worry about using open headphones near a microphone is if you are using it for recording purposes in a studio. Then, a closed tracking phone will typically be used, but I've even seen the occasion semi-open headphones used for that application.

Jul 28, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #3 of 3
I have the 558, and it really depends on how loud your music/audio is playing.  I can bring the level down to where it isn't audible a foot or two away from my head, but it can be a less than satisfying volume for music.  I imagine though that if you want to hear the Skype conversation the music needs to be at a lower level in the mix, so it shouldn't be an issue.  They don't leak as badly as I expected before buying them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back