Question for DIYs: How to tweak butcher block shelving??
Apr 4, 2005 at 4:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dcguy73

Formerly known as dc_guy
I picked up the "Spar" maple butcher block from IKEA the other day. (Link to the butcher block is here => http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/store...roductId=15241 )

I am going to use these blocks to replace the cheap MDF shelves on my welded steel Target rack. I believe the blocks are unfinished. They are not solid chunks of maple -- there is some hollowness inside.
My question is, what should I do with them next to increase their effectiveness as shelves and to increase their durability? Should I oil them? Put a coat of lacquer on them? Glue cork and/or rubber to the underside?

I will be placing them under a variety of components (Cd player, amp, power conditioner), so I could customize each block to suit the component it sits on.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!! Thanks!!!!

Apr 4, 2005 at 9:05 PM Post #2 of 5
Oh, never mind. They're beech. Ugh. I'm taking 'em back.
icon10.gif
And here I thought I scored a really cheap tweak . . .

Apr 4, 2005 at 9:16 PM Post #3 of 5
all wood has a tone,not acousticly inert by any stretch man, and you may find you actually like the beech or maybe not.all system dependant and use.

but if you DO find the maple you are looking for a good finish is spray on lacquer sanded between coats.You can go as many coats as your patience and elbow grease will bear but a good happy medium is four coats sanded in progression with #120 then #220 ,on the #440 and finally pumice stone if you want a high gloss.

This can be topped off with a good furniture grade wax with a high beeswax content for "show" and then buffed.available at fine furniture stores or antique furniture dealers

Apr 4, 2005 at 11:02 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by dc_guy
Oh, never mind. They're beech. Ugh. I'm taking 'em back.
icon10.gif
And here I thought I scored a really cheap tweak . . .

Before returning it, you should try listening with the beech board in the rack. Who knows, you might like it.

When you go back to Ikea, why not pick up some of their "LACK" tables? These are tried-and-true tables that sound good. I built my equipment rack using their extra long LACK tables and spikes, and these sound better than many designer shelving tweaks I've tried.

Apr 8, 2005 at 3:25 AM Post #5 of 5
those things can be refinished.

but if you can return it and get the color you want - why bother ? if there is a store near you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back