Questions about the Yulong D100 MKII
Jan 12, 2013 at 12:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

tateburns

New Head-Fier
Greetings,

I'm interested in purchasing a Yulong D100 MKII, but have a few questions I'm wondering if someone can help answer. 

1) Does it support ASIO or any other flavor of kernel streaming on it's USB input from a PC or MAC?

2) Does it support all bit rates up to 24/96? I have a cheapie Edirol DAC right now that I have to use the resampler plugin in Foobar because if I set it for ASIO it won't process 16/41, 24/48, etc.

3) If there is no volume control knob, how do I control volume from my PC? I'd prefer not to attenuate the signal in Foobar or in the OS. I'd like to have both turned up to 100% and let the DAC attenuate vs. any type of processing from software before the signal reaches the DAC.

Thanks to anyone can help. If the Yulong doesn't meet these requirements, but you can make a recommendation of comparable component that will I'd love to hear about it.

Jan 12, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #2 of 13
Quote:
3) If there is no volume control knob, how do I control volume from my PC? I'd prefer not to attenuate the signal in Foobar or in the OS. I'd like to have both turned up to 100% and let the DAC attenuate vs. any type of processing from software before the signal reaches the DAC.

I
'm also interested in purchasing a D100 and interested in any forthcoming answers.

As to the above quote, is that the best way to do it?  I have always wondered about that.  Which volume to control, where to set each program, etc.

Jan 12, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #3 of 13
I have volume control knobs on the back of my active Event TR8 studio monitors, but it would be a total PITA to control it that way.

It is my understanding, for best performance and a truly bit perfect signal to your DAC you should not use any volume control via software. This is the reason apps like JRiver have the ability to completely disable volume control. For Foobar I believe the recommendation is to set your volume at 100%.

The lack of volume control for the RCA and XLR outputs on the back of the Yulong D100 might be a deal breaker. Otherwise it seems like a second outboard pre-amp would be needed which just adds more cost. This probably gives me good reason to save up for the Benchmark DAC1 USB.

Jan 12, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #4 of 13
You should control the volume through your amp or preamp, not through the dac itself. Your computer source should be at 100%.

Jan 12, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #5 of 13
With active studio monitors and no need for an amp or pre-amp that essentialy leaves me with only the option of controlling volume via the tiny hard to reach knobs on the back of my monitors.

Guess I'll need to look elsewhere beyond the Yulong then. I'm interested in any other offerings in $500 market before I commit to saving up for a Benchmark DAC1 USB.

Jan 12, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #6 of 13
Fair enough, but adjusting system volume does not involve any signal processing before it hits the dac, so that's still an option for you.

To answer your other questions, the D100 does support ASIO (driver download required) and supports upto 24/192, but only 24/96 over USB

Jan 12, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #8 of 13
Ideally, it should be at 100% but because of your setup (no amp or preamp) you'll have to control it through Foobar. Either way, you're running your signal thru the D100 so you're getting the best out to your speakers. Enjoy!

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #9 of 13
Finding the TC Electronic Pilot renewed my interest in the Yulong D100. This is a really great looking device that would sit between the D100 and my active monitors apparently adding no sonic degradation (totally passive device). This would also be perfect for switching between headphones and monitors on the fly, which for me has always been a pain because I have to stand up and physically power off my monitors (just like the guy in the video is describing)

http://www.tcelectronic.com/level-pilot/

Still wondering about kernel streaming or ASIO features of the Yulong D100 if anyone can answer? Also if I'd have to use the resampler plugin in Foobar in order to playback different audio resolutions on the fly?

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #11 of 13
In the original D100 MkI thread, it was mentioned that that Yulong himself recommended using a resampler in foobar - and that the D100 outputs a set sampling rate regardless because he found that specific sampling rate performed best for numerous reasons (I think it was like 110kHz? - I read it a long time ago)

The D100 absolutely supports ASIO

Oct 23, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #13 of 13
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I am picking up a Yulong D100 MKII soon and just wanted to ask for clarification about the issue with lack of vol control with RCA/XLR outputs. Perhaps it will be easier if I explain my setup.  I will be using a pair of HD650s, The D100MKII, and bottlehead crack.

So from my understanding, if I use my HD650s with the 1/4 front jack on the D100 as a standalone unit (internal amp), everything should be standard, (windows vol 100%, foobar 100%, volume controlled through D100 vol knob).

If I use RCA cables to connect my D100 to my bottlehead crack, with HD650 plugged into the crack, then then the D100 is outputting at 100% volume correct? (so in this case, windows vol100%, foobar 100%, d100 outputting at 100%, vol is controlled through the bottlehead crack knob).

If I decide to go XLR balanced on my HD650, then I can have it plugged directly into the XLR output on the D100 right? (in this case, the D100 is still outputting at 100% and I would need to adjust volume using windows or foobar?).

Can someone please confirm for me if all my assumptions are correct?  I gues I'm just slightly confused on what the XLR balanced output on the D100 is intended for.  Is it intended to be outputted to a balanced external amplifier?  Or is it ok to plug in a balanced pair of headphones directly into it?  I understand that if its fixed output is 100% at all times, then I would definitely need to turn my windows vol down to 0 to begin with to avoid blowing out my headphones.

Thanks in advance, everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back