Quick Portable Recommendation ~$200
Jul 14, 2013 at 5:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Silverion77

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a new pair of headphones to use with my laptop on the go. Just to go over what my experience, I have been using a pair of DT880s 600 ohm running through an E7/E9 (I know, not the greatest, but it gets the job done) and I love them. I also have a pair of Grado HF2s, but they are only brought out at special times. I find the 880s more palatable for general listening, VoIP, etc.

I finally decided it's time to finally junk these crappy pair of plastic $2 headphones I found in a drawer in the house and get another pair to add to the collection. Things I'm mostly looking for are closed, decent isolation, portable (in terms of amping, I'm fine carrying these in a bag), good at music genres, not terrible at gaming audio and around $200.

My knowledge is a bit rusty since I haven't been watching audio development lately, but the options I have been reading into are:
Audio Technica M50 - overall heard fantastic things about these from many people, just curious if they are a bit out of date.
Shure 440/840 - don't know a thing about these xD
VModa LP2 - another phone I know little about. A friend of mine got them and likes them, but they are his first real headphone.
Beyerdynamic Custom One - very shaky reviews. Some like them, others don't...have it lower on my list

Any other recommendations/input you guys have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for the help.

Jul 14, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #2 of 11
Hello!

By looking at the headphones you mentioned above, it seems like you are looking for bassy headphone. Yes, the ATH-M50 are unfortunately replaced by UE 6000 which does much more better

Hope this helps!
Billson :)

Jul 14, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #4 of 11
Beyerdynamic Custom One

Jul 14, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:
Hello!

By looking at the headphones you mentioned above, it seems like you are looking for bassy headphone. Yes, the ATH-M50 are unfortunately replaced by UE 6000 which does much more better

Hope this helps!
Billson
smily_headphones1.gif

I am a fan of some nice bass, but it's not really a requirement. Given, I have been using my 880s and while they have strong bass, its nice and tight. Far from overwhelming. The UE 6000 looks nice, but I'm not really a fan of active noise cancellation. Really not a fan of having to put batteries into my headphones constantly (and the chance of dead batteries = no headphones).

Edit: Read about the UE 6000. Noise cancellation isn't always on. My bad.

Also had the HD25s on the list as a possibility. I was just unfamiliar with their sound quality to other circumaural options in the same price range. How do the Amperiors match up to the 25? Also, after the recent announcement, I was thinking of waiting for the new Momentums to launch. The current ones are a bit above my range, but the supras look like they'll be around $200ish.

After some more research, people also seem to like the AKG K550. I originally had a pair of small portable K27s, but they broke (which led to the $2 pos). From what I can tell, tehy seem to be a more mid-centric headphone with good staging.

Jul 14, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #6 of 11
I like the sound of my JVC HA-S500-Z (Gunmetal Gray) folding headphones.
I paid $76 for mine. I think they are cheaper now.

Jul 14, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #10 of 11
V-Moda M-80.

On my ears, when placed properly, they seal fine. They are really versatile, sound great with everything, and are built solid.

I take them when I'm on the go and I even listen to them at home.

Overall, a great set IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back