Quick Question About Nintendo DS
Sep 20, 2007 at 2:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

dj_mocok

Headphoneus Supremus
Just wondering, is there any difference between Nintendo DS game and Gameboy Advance game? (similar title, and played using DS Lite).

Because looks like Gameboy advance game is cheaper than the DS version of the same title.

Maybe difference in picture quality, if any? Or are they exactly the same (only GBA has bigger cartridge)? Thanks.

Sep 20, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #2 of 21
Which game are you referring to? I do not know of any game that plays on both DS and GBA. But I bet there is a visual difference, touchscreen capability, top schreen used for map/status vriewing and maybe even mic intergration on the DS version.

Sep 20, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #3 of 21
GBA advance games only play on one screen. DS Lite games use both screens. Sometimes the bottom screen is only controls, and sometimes it's another view.

GAD

Sep 20, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #4 of 21
DS games have better 3D capability,
in home console equivalent, a Gameboy is a portable Nes, a gameboy advance is a portable Snes, now the DS is the portable version of the nintendo 64, its more or less capable of the same, games go up to 1Gb, better graphics, better games, theres games where you dont notice the differance, like the mario RPG, both versions are almost the same,

while other games, the 3D kicks in, or the special controlls, and then you notice, you should really pick up a game like starfox DS or Elite Beat Agents,

Sep 20, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
games go up to 1Gb

Where did you gather that information?

I'm pretty sure that the largest games are only up to 256MB.

Sep 20, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #6 of 21
I think some of you misunderstood my question.
Say, I have a Shrek III game in Gameboy Advance format, and also in Nintendo DS format, and I am playing both of those games using Nintedo DS Lite, will I notice any difference between playing the GBA version cartridge and the DS cartridge?

What title of game that you can notice the difference (between playing the GBA and DS version) when playing it using DS Lite ?

Sep 20, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think some of you misunderstood my question.
Say, I have a Shrek III game in Gameboy Advance format, and also in Nintendo DS format, and I am playing both of those games using Nintedo DS Lite, will I notice any difference between playing the GBA version cartridge and the DS cartridge?

What title of game that you can notice the difference (between playing the GBA and DS version) when playing it using DS Lite ?

Are you sure that this doesn't answer your question?
Quote:

Originally Posted by GAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
GBA advance games only play on one screen. DS Lite games use both screens. Sometimes the bottom screen is only controls, and sometimes it's another view.

GAD

Because it sounds like yo are trying to find out if there are any gameplay differences between a DS and GB version of a game.

Sep 21, 2007 at 9:54 AM Post #8 of 21
So that means if I have a DS Lite, and if I wanna buy certain game and if the shop sells that game in GBA cartridge, I might as well get the GBA version then, since it's cheaper and no difference at all?

Sep 21, 2007 at 11:31 AM Post #9 of 21
the largest game i´ve seen for now was 133MB, thats 1Gb
(small b = bit, big B = Byte, 8bit = 1Byte)

i get my information from having a programable cartrige which allows the running of Gameboy advance and Nintendo DS game backups

Sep 21, 2007 at 1:05 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So that means if I have a DS Lite, and if I wanna buy certain game and if the shop sells that game in GBA cartridge, I might as well get the GBA version then, since it's cheaper and no difference at all?

No - as I said, the DS-lite version will use both screens. Sometimes there will be visuals in that screen, sometimes not. It depends on the game. For example my kids have "Over the Hedge" for DS-Lite and it's amazing. The 3d effects are excellent, and both screes show different views at the same time. It's really very cool. The GBA only has one screen, so gameplay is very different.

With Lego Star Wars, the action all takes place on the top screen, and the bottom screen is used only for control. I have not seen the GBA version, but I would imagine you just access those controls differently. I don't know about story lines or graphics on the GBA in this case.

It depends on the game.

GAD

Sep 21, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #11 of 21
Do you think it's because the DS version of the game is 'optimised' for DS, and with GBA, the developer didn't include the feature of say, being able to show dual screen gameplay?

Sep 21, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #12 of 21
NDS play NDS games + GBA Games.
GBA only play GBA Games.

I have DS Lite, it's worth the price paying for. Heck, I'll buy it even if they sold it at higher price. It is that good. dj Mocok, google 'm3 ds simply' or 'r4ds'
wink.gif

Sep 21, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #13 of 21
there is no game differance between the DS lite and the normal DS, the Lite has a better battery and brighter screen, but the GBA advance game cartige dont fully fit, but play just the same,

Sep 22, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i get my information from having a programable cartrige which allows the running of Gameboy advance and Nintendo DS game backups

The GBA isn't equal to the SNES in size or graphics, just look at the snes to gba ports. And the DS is (at the moment) incomparable to the N64, the 3D graphics can be quite horrid. The games that do have acceptable 3D usually sacrifice texture, detail, art variety, speed, etc. to a very high extent. The low resolution screen is also a huge (negative) factor. I say this a person who's played almost every single decent DS game.
Quote:

Do you think it's because the DS version of the game is 'optimised' for DS, and with GBA, the developer didn't include the feature of say, being able to show dual screen gameplay?

Isn't that obvious? It's the same with games that are ported to various systems (I.e. Splinter Cell for ps2/xbox/pc/gc). As for DS versions always being better than GBA, not true. Different ports can have drastically different gameplay/graphics.

Sep 22, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #15 of 21
Every DS game must have some touch screen functionality as well as dual screen usage. Those elements are required for games that are licensed on the DS.

There may be similar titles released for DS and GBA, but they really aren't the same game. I'd be hard pressed to think of one that is essentially the same game, though I suppose in theory, one could exist. But that's theory. Does anyone have an example? I can't think of any.

Best regards,

-Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back