Quick questiuon....will an Fiio E18 drive dt990 pro 250 ohm? (to satifaction)
Sep 1, 2014 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

woolnerc

Head-Fier
Quick questiuon....will an Fiio E18 drive Beyerdynamic's dt990 pro 250 ohm? (to satifaction)
I will use it between two devices, my LG G3 and Sony utrabook pro 13.
the ultrabook  is great for what it is, but internal dac, not so great. this is what I would use the dt-990 for,
on the go, it will drive, grado 325i, vmoda m100, kipsh s4ii iem. from the Lg G3. (on silly dayt maybe the dt's)

I was picking up both the dt990 and e18 in aprivate sale for 200 boxed, good deal I think, but is it a good pairing for what I want?

ps if another fiio or other would work better let me know.(small entry level budget, easy mobility for on the go)

Sep 2, 2014 at 5:40 AM Post #3 of 7
I've not tried the E18 yet but I hear it's a little less powerful than the E12 - the E12 can power anything I can throw at it (600ohm/88dB hard to drive), so you'll be fine with 250 ohm DT990s.

Sep 2, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #4 of 7
  I've not tried the E18 yet but I hear it's a little less powerful than the E12 - the E12 can power anything I can throw at it (600ohm/88dB hard to drive), so you'll be fine with 250 ohm DT990s.

I was trying to find a dac amp comb, to fit my constant moving needs, I hear  that the e12 is a brute and can drive most things. if only they could pair that to a dac in one unit an E18++ it would be an easy choice form me. being im buying blind still hoping some had experience be for I buy in an hour or two.

Sep 2, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #5 of 7
E18 is best used to drive headphones up till 150 ohms as stated on Fiio Specs sheet. U can get something more powerful if u want to drive dt990 effectively. U can consider Ifi idsd nano, which is also a portable dac/amp combo. IDSD nano is able to drive headphones up till 300 ohms (If my memory serve me correctly), so dt990 250 ohms shouldnt be a problem. But it is slightly bulkier than E18. But with the bulkiness, u can play dsd files. :)

Do check the compatibility of the dsd nano with ur Lg G3 though before deciding, becos it does not support all android phones. Cheers!

Sep 2, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #6 of 7
well I picked up the fiio e18, and the dt990. its...... ok. it is loud enough for me with the gain on low up to 9 out of 9, and bass on. it gets more on the h gain and 7 out 9 and bass (after 7 only distortion no real gain in volume just gets sloppy.) on or of depending on music. it does work well both with sony pc and LG G3 phone. im happy with it, for general listening of laptop mp3 music,movies. (still will keep an eye out for deal on a small valve desktop amp for the desktop and dt990

Now e18 and the v-moda 100. yes please. it sound so good. so much ommph on the bass presentation and loader than any sane person should want or need. no need to touch h gain. pretty sure that's my portable rig right there. (a lot of fun for on the go)

e18 and my grado 325i. extremely quick response, does make the 325i a little sterile, airy sounding, sharp, clean precise. maybe a warmer amp or longer listening periods.

e18 and klipsch s4 ii. cleaner, faster, stronger, be carful of gain, will deafen yourself above 5 on low gain. bass button will give the bass slam effect out of these little guys.

four distinct sound signature's, happy for the purchase, e18/dt900 for 200 used but lnib.

ps had look at the ifi nano amp/dac. if I could of gone out this lunch time and picked it up I would. gonna read more on it fore maybe the laptop perment partner as the e18 will be stuck to the phone.

Sep 3, 2014 at 7:57 AM Post #7 of 7
Glad you're happy in the end - it seems Fiio underestimate their power - the E12 has a range of 16-350 ohm according to specs but can power 600 ohm headphones admirably. The Fiio sound is on the cool side so not such a good pairing with the Grado lineup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back