RAAL 1995 headphones, Magna and Immanis
Feb 4, 2024 at 11:27 AM Post #16 of 1,776
Are you planning to produce that interface/stand only with TI-1b on board or also with TI-1c?
The 32 Ohm version comes as standard, and by order we can make 16 or 8 Ohms.
The new RCD Interface will not come with two selectable impedances, but only one, whichever someone wishes to choose.

The reasons for a single impedance on offer are that we're not chasing power so much any more and compatibility with all decent headphone amps.

Here's the comparison to SR's, driven by 32 RCD Interface, on SAEQ Hyperion Ge:

For the same perceived broadband SPL as SR's (with OB Compensation):

In dB:
CA's with Coffee Bean pads needs 1 click down (-2dB)
Magna needs 2 clicks down (-4dB)
Immanis needs 3 clicks down (-6dB).

In terms of power percentage (if SR's use 100% of power):

in % of power:
CA's need 63%
Magna needs 40%
Immanis needs 25%

In Watts, if the SR's needed, say...6W, for the same perceived broadband SPL:

In Watts:
CA's need 3.8W
Magna needs 2.4W
Immanis needs 1.5 W

Basically, if you have a SET amp of 6W at 8 Ohms, it will produce 1.5W at 32 ohms and Immanis will give you the same SPL as SR's with TI-1c at 8 Ohm input.
However, having 32 Ohms will be compatible to any decent headphone amp out there and 8 Ohms will not.

If we're talking 6-ish Watt SET amps, the new and upcoming Auris Audio Headonia 10th Anniversary 300B has output transformers that provide full power at 25, 50, 100, 150, 300 and 600 Ohms. There are transformer outputs for each of those load impedances, not one-winding-for-all, so full power is available at any impedance, and no problem there.

Last edited:
RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Feb 6, 2024 at 10:25 AM Post #17 of 1,776
20240206_154500m.jpg

Just a fraction of the parts we have...work in progress!

Feb 6, 2024 at 12:27 PM Post #18 of 1,776
20240206_154500m.jpg

Just a fraction of the parts we have...work in progress!
Hi Alek, you've probably mentioned this already. But since I'm lazy - how would you describe the bass of the the new hps compared to the Sr1a? Thanks!

Feb 6, 2024 at 1:03 PM Post #19 of 1,776
Hi Alek, you've probably mentioned this already. But since I'm lazy - how would you describe the bass of the the new hps compared to the Sr1a? Thanks!
Way more important would be compared to Ca-1a since it's the other circumaural 🤔

Feb 6, 2024 at 1:42 PM Post #20 of 1,776
I am also very curious about what we can expect in terms of bass response vs the SR1-A and CA-1A in these new headphones.

Feb 6, 2024 at 3:08 PM Post #22 of 1,776
Not to me
Well compared to the SR-1A the Magna and Immanis will both have way better subbass performance and most likely more Bass overall.

Feb 6, 2024 at 6:12 PM Post #23 of 1,776
Is True-Ribbon headphones very leaky in sound?
More so then more regular planar or dynamic open headphones? That's what i imagine when i see picture of them especially the SR-1b, the CA-1a looks less leaky and open.
Could they be made closed back?

Feb 6, 2024 at 6:31 PM Post #24 of 1,776
Is True-Ribbon headphones very leaky in sound?
More so then more regular planar or dynamic open headphones? That's what i imagine when i see picture of them especially the SR-1b, the CA-1a looks less leaky and open.
Could they be made closed back?
Yes, they are open-back, so pretty much the same as open-back planars.

Developing a closed-back ribbon headphone is certainly possible, it's just that it's not something that I will focus in a foreseeable future.

Feb 6, 2024 at 6:54 PM Post #25 of 1,776
Given that I won't be able to afford the Immanis any time soon this will do in the meantime...

20240206_234625.jpg

😁

Now to build a high pass filter for the sr1b so they and the subs don't tread on each other's toes...

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2024 at 7:12 PM Post #26 of 1,776
About the sound

In essence, I wanted a listening experience where nothing bothers you, but you still hear everything and in the right proportions.

I’ve kept the open midrange of the SR, but made it smoother. I have extended the highs up and, in general, removed that “information overload” feeling that SR’s tend to have for some people.

Basically, no information is lost, but what is gained is a sense of refinement. That helped in the feeling of “being there" that SR's excel at.

Magna is like refining the SR's mid-high and continuing linearly all the way down. Very neutral sound. Very much up the alley of SR aficionados.
But with bass that is better textured and deeper than with CA's.

With Immanis, I have used the extra surface area of the driver and tuned the <1kHz region to a full, big sound with a bass to match, so I added weight and punch.
I wanted some added richness in low-mid/upper bass, but with taste, nothing overwhelming. Just to give the right body to an orchestra or a choir.
As with Magna, CA-kind of bass only resembles this, but not really a good comparison.

The SR-like “edge” feels softer, but not because it really is, but because there is a <1k region to enlarge the body of the sound. If the edge would be missing, with the new tone balance, I would loose life-like presentation and the sense of refinement.
I don’t want a choir to be dull, I want to count rows, but I also want the basses, baritones and altos to have a full presence.

The difference between M and I is perhaps like listening to high-end speakers, one large floorstander with 15" woofer, the other also a floorstander, but up to 70l of volume.
They are both correct, only the bigger one sounds bigger.

The staging is quite good for a circum-aural. It goes beyond that, as now I have a large leakage zone right in front of the ear canal.
Basically, the front is open to space and that cleans up the earpad chamber reverb in front of your ear-canal. It also allows leakage of sound toward the other ear much better than when I place that leakage zone behind the ear. What I got is a sense of “spaciousness” in sound and that sense is more pronounced in Immanis.

I can listen to Classical music on either of these for 2 hours with no fatigue, yet, no information is lost, it is just presented in a different context.
With Pop, Rock, it depends on the volume and how much compression they used in mastering. For example, I can listen "Dance Fever" album by Florence+ The Machine for 2 times in a row, or my Mark Knopfler playlist for hours, but constant noise than never relieves with compressed Metal or Rock, erh...makes me look for other genres after an album.

With poorer recordings, you sure know it’s a poorer recording, but that won’t make it unlistenable. You will listen to it till the end, because of reduction of problematic areas in headphones.
Now problems in headphones do not compound with problems in recordings. It’s not because I’m reducing information, I’m just presenting it in a better way than before, I think.

Last edited:

Feb 6, 2024 at 7:50 PM Post #28 of 1,776
I can listen "Dance Fever" album by Florence+ The Machine for 2 times in a row
I absolutely love that album. Any chance some of these might show up at Canjams in the U.S?

Feb 6, 2024 at 7:56 PM Post #29 of 1,776
With Immanis, I have used the extra surface area of the driver and tuned the <1kHz region to a full, big sound with a bass to match, so I added weight and punch.
I wanted some added richness in low-mid/upper bass, but with taste, nothing overwhelming. Just to give the right body to an orchestra or a choir.
As with Magna, CA-kind of bass only resembles this, but not really a good comparison.
That sounds very promising. Can't wait to audition them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back