RAAL 1995 headphones, Magna and Immanis
Mar 4, 2024 at 1:54 PM Post #421 of 1,947
Yes, Chris will be reviewing Magna and Immanis. Looking forward to seeing Torq in New York. Should be a really fun show. I can't wait!
For the record, I just PM'd @Torq. He's yachting/fishing somewhere near The Bahamas, and won't be at CanJam this weekend.

Mar 4, 2024 at 1:56 PM Post #422 of 1,947
Surfing through my library, a pattern starts to form about which genres work best (for me) with the Immanis.

I have already mentioned symphonic, chamber music and jazz.

Another genre I find very enjoyable is electronica, where the sub-bass presence and resolution matches the capability of isolating sounds in a cavernous 3d stage, retrieving plankton-level details (while not exaggerating them), and a general sense of excitement / endless surprising effects.

This album is a trance-inducing experience.

1709578139061.png

When mixed with classical, theatrical soundscapes the Immanis strenghs adds up to a pretty new level of enjoyment in my book.

1709578384313.png

Mar 4, 2024 at 2:17 PM Post #423 of 1,947
For the record, I just PM'd @Torq. He's yachting/fishing somewhere near The Bahamas, and won't be at CanJam this weekend.
Ah, OK, thanks for that. He posted on forum.headphones.com that he was hoping to be there in NY. Shame he’s got nothing better to do than go yachting/fishing near The Bahamas 😜

Mar 4, 2024 at 2:25 PM Post #424 of 1,947
Surfing through my library, a pattern starts to form about which genres work best (for me) with the Immanis.

I have already mentioned symphonic, chamber music and jazz.

Another genre I find very enjoyable is electronica, where the sub-bass presence and resolution matches the capability of isolating sounds in a cavernous 3d stage, retrieving plankton-level details (while not exaggerating them), and a general sense of excitement / endless surprising effects.

This album is a trance-inducing experience.

1709578139061.png

When mixed with classical, theatrical soundscapes the Immanis strenghs adds up to a pretty new level of enjoyment in my book.

1709578384313.png
Just added to my library from Qobuz. Will give them a listen tonight.

Mar 4, 2024 at 2:49 PM Post #425 of 1,947
Alex and I have been consulting with Solaja on 2 new headphone/speaker amps. One is based on the VM (EL34) platform and the other a 300B type. If all goes well, I may have one (not sure which) at Axpona, in Chicago.
Oh, now that is exciting, Danny! Please post any information you're able to share about these as soon as you're able to share it!

Mar 4, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #426 of 1,947
I was reading the comments here about the volume on the VM-1a with the new phones. I think I may be able to resolve that with my Benchmark DAC3B. Normally this DAC is a little too hot for many of the systems I have setup (depends on the other gear). However, I like the matchup with the VM-1a. On the XLR out of the DAC3B there are 3 volume settings that can be set via jumpers on the DAC board. This DAC does not have a volume control.

The XLR outputs are equipped with low impedance passive pads that may be used to reduce the output levels while preserving the full dynamic range of the DAC3. The DAC3ships with the pads disabled (0 dB setting). XLR Output Pad JumpersFour jumpers on four 6-pin headers (P8, P9, P10, and P11) allow selection of the output level at the XLR jacks.

The jumpers are properly configured if a normal playback level is achieved when the VOLUME control is set above the 11 o'clock position.

One pair of 6-pin headers control the attenuation at each XLR jack as follows:• 0 dB - (Attenuator disabled) – (Jumper plug between pins 1 and 2 of each header) - Factory Default• -10 dB – (Jumper plug between pins 3 and 4 of each header)• -20 dB – (Jumper plug between pins 5 and 6 of each header)
I may be able to get some good volume adjustment on the VM-1a with these DAC jumper settings.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 3:04 PM Post #427 of 1,947
I was reading the comments here about the volume on the VM-1a with the new phones. I think I may be able to resolve that with my Benchmark DAC3B. Normally this DAC is a little too hot for many of the systems I have setup (depends on the other gear). However, I like the matchup with the VM-1a. On the XLR out of the DAC3B there are 3 volume settings that can be set via jumpers on the DAC board. This DAC does not have a volume control.

I may be able to get some good volume adjustment on the VM-1a with these DAC jumper settings.
It might not be necessary in your situation but thought it was better if you are aware it might affect you. Alex said you’ll be something like 3 clicks lower on the volume with Immanis compared to SR-1.

Mar 4, 2024 at 3:58 PM Post #428 of 1,947
I’m glad you posted something ‘cos I thought of a couple of things I wanted to ask you. Are you already in line waiting for promise date and delivery info or are you waiting for more feedback from NY CanJam? I‘m interested because you’ve been such a vocal supporter of the SR1 and CA1 with the VM-1a and how good they really are that I was just thinking forward to when we get to read your actual experience with either Magna or Immanis. With VM-1a no longer available I‘m considering the Hyperion GE as one of my alternatives to replace my HSA-1b mainly because in post #69 Aleks describes the VM in Triode Mode and the Hyperion as being very, very similar, almost identical, and in post #70 Aleks says Immanis does not need a big warm sounding amp to complement their tonal balance. So I’m wondering what the already much bigger, fuller-sounding Immanis will sound like when being driven by your big warm sounding amp? Any idea when you might be able to share your thoughts with us or is it still ‘as yet unknown’? And of course if the Hyperion is very similar to the VM in tonal characteristics I’m wondering if this could be leading to too much ‘warmth’ when partnered with Immanis. This I can easily try with an audition at my dealer along with a session with the envy. To try a tube pre-amp with the Bliss will not be at all practical to arrange and so I may be entirely dependent on other people’s experiences and thoughts for this.
I am going to give a listen to the new HP's at canjam...I am a huge fan of the Raal products and have made no secret of it..I will report back what I hear but if and when I do get the new HP I would likely pair it with my VM-1a..the 3db difference in volume is a non issue to me with my VM-1a because I can easily dial back the volume on my chord dave

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 5:22 PM Post #429 of 1,947
I am going to give a listen to the new HP's at canjam...I am a huge fan of the Raal products and have made no secret of it..I will report back what I hear but if and when I do get the new HP I would likely pair it with my VM-1a..the 3db difference in volume is a non issue to me with my VM-1a because I can easily dial back the volume on my chord dave
Yes, I don’t have that luxury with the Holo May. Danny said earlier that he will have all 4 Raal’s with him at CanJam so that’s great for direct comparisons. He didn’t mention what amps he will have but will be good if he has a VM.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 5:34 PM Post #430 of 1,947
Late last night I was listening to the CA-1a | VM-1a | James Brown - Motherlodde album. Just amazing. I was thinking if the new gear is better than what I have now, that is ridiculous.
Yes, "ridiculous" is totally what I'm hoping for. :D

Mar 4, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #431 of 1,947
the CA and VM together is truly special for sure

Mar 4, 2024 at 5:59 PM Post #432 of 1,947
If I had a "complaint" about the CA-1a, it's that it can be prone to sounding a bit brittle or dry. It's not a major compliant as I thought with the filters it's the best headphone currently manufactured (but not better than some vintage headphones and the modded JAR800). Is there a noticeable change in the next gen RAALs? I'll probably buy one eventually to pair with the HSA-1b but not in any particular hurry to do so.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 6:13 PM Post #434 of 1,947
Hi Chris, after reading post #396 by SteveM324 it got me wondering if your DNA has a pre-amp capability. If so you could use it as a pre-amp in front of your Bliss for a different ’flavour’ to the sound. Is it something you’ve considered?
No, Stellaris has no pre-amp feature, though I don't know whether Donald would/could add that as an option as I did not ask when I purchased. I know he can add speaker outs, so it stands to reason you could have line out added. Anyway, the way I see my setup now, I have a really solid TOTL tube route OR a really solid TOTL solid state route. I wouldn't personally have any use case for a "middle of the road" tube pre into solid state route, though I can certainly understand why someone else might. Fwiw, I found Schiit Valhalla to be a really excellent tube pre.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 6:14 PM Post #435 of 1,947
If I had a "complaint" about the CA-1a, it's that it can be prone to sounding a bit brittle or dry. It's not a major compliant as I thought with the filters it's the best headphone currently manufactured (but not better than some vintage headphones and the modded JAR800). Is there a noticeable change in the next gen RAALs? I'll probably buy one eventually to pair with the HSA-1b but not in any particular hurry to do so.
Yes, the new ones, particularly the Immanis have a much fuller sound and the bass is more extended. If you search this thread for posts written by simorag you’ll get the best reports so far about the Immanis because he took ownership last weekend. The only caveat is that his time with the CA-1a was with the VM-1a and it‘s clear that this combination has a fuller-bodied sound than we get with the CA-1a and HSA-1b combination. This means some of his references are based on his time with the VM-1a and not the HSA.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back