RAAL 1995 headphones, Magna and Immanis
Mar 10, 2024 at 3:58 AM Post #556 of 2,069
+1

I'm wondering this as well. I wonder if the VM or Mitch filters can bring out some more CA like bass. :thinking:

I was hoping these combined CA bass with Shang Sr resolution. I guess we'll see...
Why do you want more “CA like bass?” Even without EQ or Mitch‘s filters the bass on the Immanis is deeper than CA-1a. And if you read what simorag wrote earlier, with a little EQ the bass goes subterranean. Chris described the Immanis as “matching or exceeding the clarity and detail of Shang Sr. Sounds to me like you’ve got what you wanted. Now go and arrange to hear them so you can answer your own questions and you can tell us all what you think.🤔

Mar 10, 2024 at 4:09 AM Post #557 of 2,069
My very brief impressions with both of them suggest that Immanis matches or exceeds the resolution & clarity of Shang Sr, but comes up short in the bass. Shang's magic is that much like Susvara it does the clarity AND the bass exceedingly well. But the former maybe a hair less than the ribbons?

I listened to a classical recording on Immanis that I would swear on my life was a binaural recording. They said it was not.
Hi Chris. Our friend simorag confirmed your impression earlier. Alex described how the venting on Immanis only projects forward and allows the sound to flow across the face and into the other ear, thus giving this spatial quality that you experienced. Immanis may not entirely replace what SR-1a/b gives us but it certainly goes beyond CA-1a in this regard.

Mar 10, 2024 at 7:14 AM Post #558 of 2,069
my girlfriend who comes along with me to canjam gave the immanis the thumbs up lol
Cherrish that woman my friend!
Why do you want more “CA like bass?” Even without EQ or Mitch‘s filters the bass on the Immanis is deeper than CA-1a. And if you read what simorag wrote earlier, with a little EQ the bass goes subterranean. Chris described the Immanis as “matching or exceeding the clarity and detail of Shang Sr. Sounds to me like you’ve got what you wanted. Now go and arrange to hear them so you can answer your own questions and you can tell us all what you think.🤔
Ciggavelli uses the closed Donut earpads with the CA-1A. With those the CA-1A has more Bass quantity than Magna and Immanis.

He also is a purist and doesn't use EQ, no matter how much I annoy him into trying it.(to fix the Valkyria sub-bass for instance)

@Aleksandar R.
Last year at Munich high end there was a Sennheiser HE1. This year if possible you should try to arrange a Feliks Envy 25th Anniversary Edition + Immanis setup right next to it. Canjam impressions were very favourable for the Immanis even of those that auditioned the He1 right before it.

Mar 10, 2024 at 7:29 AM Post #559 of 2,069
As a homage to our Ribbon Whisperer @Aleksandar R. , here is a couple of albums from artists born in former Yugoslavia which the Immanis makes especially involving. These are acoustic guitar recordings, and Krushevo in particular is as good as it gets in providing seemingly lifelike timbre and guitar dynamics.

Both are from MA Recordings, which unfortunately does not allow streaming, but if you are willing to get a glance of what this label offers, there are two fantastic free samplers linked on their home page (https://www.marecordings.com/).

1710067051161.png

1710068342402.png

Coming back to bass (or, better, sub-bass), I can reassure all bassheads out there who are open to EQ about the capabilities of the Immanis to suit their tastes, and this comes from someone who has owned the AB-1266 for 7 years.

Aside from a check with a tone generator, where I did not notice any hint of roll-off until 24Hz, being 20Hz still very audible, I indulged myself with my usual test tracks (from Hey Now, to Why Serious, Interstellar, to various organ compositions) and the Immanis did not break a sweat. Actually, the combination of bass quantity, heft after EQ is there with the absolute best in my opinion, together with an articulation and definition which places them into an arena of their own.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024 at 8:22 AM Post #560 of 2,069
As a homage to our Ribbon Whisperer @Aleksandar R. , here is a couple of albums from artists born in former Yugoslavia which the Immanis makes especially involving. These are acoustic guitar recordings, and Krushevo in particular is as good as it gets in providing seemingly lifelike timbre and guitar dynamics.

Both are from MA Recordings, which unfortunately does not allow streaming, but if you are willing to get a glance of what this label offers, there are two fantastic free samplers linked on their home page (https://www.marecordings.com/).

1710067051161.png

1710068342402.png

Coming back to bass (or, better, sub-bass), I can reassure all bassheads out there who are open to EQ about the capabilities of the Immanis to suit their tastes, and this comes from someone who has owned the AB-1266 for 7 years.

Aside from a check with a tone generator, where I did not notice any hint of roll-off until 24Hz, being 20Hz still very audible, I indulged myself with my usual test tracks (from Hey Now, to Why Serious, Interstellar, to various organ compositions) and the Immanis did not break a sweat. Actually, the combination of bass quantity, heft after EQ is there with the absolute best in my opinion, together with an articulation and definition which places them into an arena of their own.
I hope Aleks has agreed to pay you royalties for all the positive things you say about Immanis. I’ve already reserved one but I would do so now if I had not, your experiences are so Informative and I WANT MINE NOW ……..please.

Mar 10, 2024 at 8:29 AM Post #561 of 2,069
Cherrish that woman my friend!

Ciggavelli uses the closed Donut earpads with the CA-1A. With those the CA-1A has more Bass quantity than Magna and Immanis.

He also is a purist and doesn't use EQ, no matter how much I annoy him into trying it.(to fix the Valkyria sub-bass for instance)

@Aleksandar R.
Last year at Munich high end there was a Sennheiser HE1. This year if possible you should try to arrange a Feliks Envy 25th Anniversary Edition + Immanis setup right next to it. Canjam impressions were very favourable for the Immanis even of those that auditioned the He1 right before it.
I see now why you sold your Envy to Leto. What you’re suggesting to Alex (very understandable) is probably not possible. Unless it could be arranged with Thomas or some very lucky owner takes their’s with them. 😜

Mar 10, 2024 at 8:37 AM Post #562 of 2,069
I see now why you sold your Envy to Leto. What you’re suggesting to Alex (very understandable) is probably not possible. Unless it could be arranged with Thomas or some very lucky owner takes their’s with them. 😜
Well the Envy AE + Immanis should be possible to setup at the headphone.shop booth, but the Sennheiser HE1 next to it could be difficult.

Last year it was luckily right next to the headphone.shop booth

Mar 10, 2024 at 8:52 AM Post #564 of 2,069
True, but from where will you source the AE?
Headphone.shop all the Feliks gear is usually at that booth.
The Feliks guys could bring the prototype themselfes.

It's super recommended to visit since the Feliks guys are also really cool to get to know.

Mar 10, 2024 at 9:01 AM Post #565 of 2,069
Headphone.shop all the Feliks gear is usually at that booth.
The Feliks guys could bring the prototype themselfes.

It's super recommended to visit since the Feliks guys are also really cool to get to know.
Thanks, I will see you and the Feliks guys if we can get there this year. Ah, Ok, they could bring the prototype, of course. I expect the AE will all be sold before the Munich show. You’re suggesting the AE specification but wearing “normal clothes” will continue to be sold after the 25 are gone.

Mar 10, 2024 at 9:06 AM Post #566 of 2,069
Thanks, I will see you and the Feliks guys if we can get there this year. Ah, Ok, they could bring the prototype, of course. I expect the AE will all be sold before the Munich show. You’re suggesting the AE specification but wearing “normal clothes” will continue to be sold after the 25 are gone.
Where did I suggest that?

Mar 10, 2024 at 9:18 AM Post #567 of 2,069
Mar 10, 2024 at 9:28 AM Post #568 of 2,069
If you want to read one more impression from Heidelberg you can read the first post from "Fledermaus" via Google translate
https://www.open-end-music.com/foru...24-im-tankturm-in-heidelberg-meine-eindruecke
He writes even more detailed comments on the build quality of the Immanis.
He immensly praised the sound in particular the Bass of the Immanis, but didn't like the build, with most complains regarding the headband construction.

Sound wise he really sees the Immanis a step above everything else except maybe (yes maybe) the Sennheiser He1.

While I can understand if someone is no Fan of the headband in this price segment I certainly can not understand the mentioning of the Composer being better in that regard.
Guess everyone has to see and decide for himself.

Mar 10, 2024 at 9:32 AM Post #569 of 2,069
He immensly praised the sound in particular the Bass of the Immanis, but didn't like the build, with most complains regarding the headband construction.

Sound wise he really sees the Immanis a step above everything else except maybe (yes maybe) the Sennheiser He1.

I read rather conflicting feedback on Immanis (shame I couldnt make it to Heidelberg myself) Some people claim its the Envy that pushed the sound so well, since the unit showcased without Envy was described very differently (for example low bass). I really do wonder if Immanis is similar to Susvara, basically vanishing and revealing the chain fully.

Still would love some comparisons with Sus, fell in love with it again after receiving my Envy.

Mar 10, 2024 at 9:38 AM Post #570 of 2,069
Where did I suggest that?
Only my interpretation. Why would Feliks Audio take a prototype amplifier to a show to pair with Immanis and then tell people it cannot be bought anymore when they are amazed by what they are hearing? It would not be a very sensible Sales and Marketing strategy. I could understand it if they offered it as an even higher performing edition than the Performance Edition, but not if that specification is never offered for sale again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back