Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Jun 22, 2022 at 6:59 PM Post #5,551 of 7,888
Bass wise, I've run through Hostiles: Cradle to the Grave at 94db with no bottoming/distortion.

Public Enemy, Dr. Dre, Beastie Boys, Cosmic Hippo, Macy Gray - Stripped all with no EQ and with a bass shelf (88hz, +4.8, q=.67) @ 90db possible peaks (limit) with no concerns or thoughts that it's lacking or grabbing for the volume due to other aspects of the frequency range getting out of sorts.
Cradle to the Grave, the CA-1a's own small victory.

I think I'm going to skip the CA-1a as it fills no desired gap. I'm pretty satisfied with the Uberamp and SR1a along with the rest.

My own small victory.

Jun 22, 2022 at 7:08 PM Post #5,552 of 7,888
Cradle to the Grave, the CA-1a's own small victory.

I think I'm going to skip the CA-1a as it fills no desired gap. I'm pretty satisfied with the Uberamp and SR1a along with the rest.

My own small victory.
Having not owned the SR-1a makes buying the CA-1a a much easier decision for me.

Jun 22, 2022 at 11:00 PM Post #5,553 of 7,888
I moved my Schitt Jotunheim R to my office and connected the RCA output of my Benchmark DAC3B to the XLR inputs of the JR amp (I have a Benchmark cable for that). I used the RAAL Copper/Silver headphone cable that is supposed to be best with the JR on the CA-1a. The JR has a switch to toggle between the CA-1a and SR1a.

I have my RAAL VM-1a amp connected to the XLR output of the Benchmark DAC3B. I have a SR1a with the RAAL Silver cable besides me. Both outputs of the DAC are live with music.

The VM-1a with the CA-1a is the attention getter every time. The power and clarity of the music is amazing. However, I do prefer the 2-channel sonic presentation of the VM-1a with the SR1a. With the VM-1a and CA-1a | SR1a headphones it is hard not to just stop what you are doing and listen. That is not always a great thing when you need to get some work done. The music is amazing with this amp.

The JR and SR1a was never a favorite of mine. I tolerated it because I needed the amp in my second office. The sound was a tiny bit fatiguing on occasion. I tried the SR1a with both cables on the JR. Though I dislike changing cables, since I think I can damage something. I did not try this setup today since I know how poor that sounded.

The JR and the CA-1a with the Copper/Silver cable was not fatiguing, which was a surprise, since the SR1a had some issues for me with the JR. This combo was not an attention getter as the VM-1a and its super clarity and drive. It was a bit more of slightly blurred sound (compared to the VM-1a) that in some ways made me concentrate better on the other things I was doing. I was still really enjoying the music.

I was interested in comparing how the CA-1a + JR compared to the Meze Empy + Benchmark HPA4 (using the DAC3B on both). The cost difference between the 2 is $2800 vs $6500 (I think). The bass is bit more prominent on the Meze but it sounds cleaner on the CA-1a. Both are very relaxing listens and I can listen for hours. I remember doing all-nighters (work) with the Meze and still listening after 5 AM when my work was done. The CA-1a sounds the same that way with the JR (not VM-1a). I have done a lot of late night listens already with the VM-1a and the SR1a. They were incredible but I would not say relaxing more like going to a live performance.

I am really happy with how the CA-1a is sounding on the JR. I wanted the CA-1a to be my bedroom headphone (head on pillow) and hopefully work with the JR. As of now the JR has become much more valuable.

I should add that I use the VM-1a mostly in Pentode mode, occasionally in Triode.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2022 at 12:40 AM Post #5,554 of 7,888
I moved my Schitt Jotunheim R to my office and connected the RCA output of my Benchmark DAC3B to the XLR inputs of the JR amp (I have a Benchmark cable for that). I used the RAAL Copper/Silver headphone cable that is supposed to be best with the JR on the CA-1a. The JR has a switch to toggle between the CA-1a and SR1a.

I have my RAAL VM-1a amp connected to the XLR output of the Benchmark DAC3B. I have a SR1a with the RAAL Silver cable besides me. Both outputs of the DAC are live with music.

The VM-1a with the CA-1a is the attention getter every time. The power and clarity of the music is amazing. However, I do prefer the 2-channel sonic presentation of the VM-1a with the SR1a. With the VM-1a and CA-1a | SR1a headphones it is hard not to just stop what you are doing and listen. That is not always a great thing when you need to get some work done. The music is amazing with this amp.

The JR and SR1a was never a favorite of mine. I tolerated it because I needed the amp in my second office. The sound was a tiny bit fatiguing on occasion. I tried the SR1a with both cables on the JR. Though I dislike changing cables, since I think I can damage something. I did not try this setup today since I know how poor that sounded.

The JR and the CA-1a with the Copper/Silver cable was not fatiguing, which was a surprise, since the SR1a had some issues for me with the JR. This combo was not an attention getter as the VM-1a and its super clarity and drive. It was a bit more of slightly blurred sound (compared to the VM-1a) that in some ways made me concentrate better on the other things I was doing. I was still really enjoying the music.

I was interested in comparing how the CA-1a + JR compared to the Meze Empy + Benchmark HPA4 (using the DAC3B on both). The cost difference between the 2 is $2800 vs $6500 (I think). The bass is bit more prominent on the Meze but it sounds cleaner on the CA-1a. Both are very relaxing listens and I can listen for hours. I remember doing all-nighters (work) with the Meze and still listening after 5 AM when my work was done. The CA-1a sounds the same that way with the JR (not VM-1a). I have done a lot of late night listens already with the VM-1a and the SR1a. They were incredible but I would not say relaxing more like going to a live performance.

I am really happy with how the CA-1a is sounding on the JR. I wanted the CA-1a to be my bedroom headphone (head on pillow) and hopefully work with the JR. As of now the JR has become much more valuable.

I should add that I use the VM-1a mostly in Pentode mode, occasionally in Triode.
May I ask...do you here hiss/noise in Pentode mode with the SR1a?

Jun 23, 2022 at 12:58 AM Post #5,555 of 7,888
May I ask...do you here hiss/noise in Pentode mode with the SR1a?
With no music playing and the volume turned 100% to the right (max position) I hear no hiss. This was in Pentode mode. My chain is super quiet. A RAAL VM-1a | Benchmark DAC3B | Sonore OpticalRendu (and some other streaming things) | all connected to the Torus RM15 power conditioner.

With music playing I do not have hiss. This was also in Pentode mode.

There is some static on the right earpad when changing volume. I attribute that to some sort of tube 'click'. It goes away immediately.

Jun 23, 2022 at 1:16 AM Post #5,556 of 7,888
With no music playing and the volume turned 100% to the right (max position) I hear no hiss. This was in Pentode mode. My chain is super quiet. A RAAL VM-1a | Benchmark DAC3B | Sonore OpticalRendu (and some other streaming things) | all connected to the Torus RM15 power conditioner.

With music playing I do not have hiss. This was also in Pentode mode.

There is some static on the right earpad when changing volume. I attribute that to some sort of tube 'click'. It goes away immediately.
What is the chain of gear you are using?

Jun 23, 2022 at 1:36 AM Post #5,557 of 7,888
I have an Aries Cerat Heléne DAC. It is has no noise. Then it is connected with a Shunyata Venom XLR cable direct to the VM1a.

Power comes through a Trafomatic Classic 1000 providing balanced power. All power cables are Shunyata Venom NRG.

It's not the system. And the hiss (in Pentode mode) is not dependend on the volume. Min-Max...the same.

Jun 23, 2022 at 1:38 AM Post #5,558 of 7,888
I am no tube expert but maybe one of the tubes is failing?

Jun 23, 2022 at 1:50 AM Post #5,559 of 7,888
I don't think so...both side is the same and the tubes are brand new as the amplifier too

Jun 23, 2022 at 6:36 AM Post #5,560 of 7,888
I've experienced this sometimes with stepped attenuator's in a few amps/preamps. Perhaps a slight difference in the way the left and right channels mechanical steps settle fully into position as the volume knob is rotated. It's never caused any damage to any of my phones or speakers.

Jun 23, 2022 at 7:07 AM Post #5,561 of 7,888
what’s the difference between TI 1A and 1B? I believe 1B will be coming out next month, trying to understand what is the right interface to get with CA 1A if I were to run them on Chord TT2? And is that a pairing anyone has tried?

Jun 23, 2022 at 7:18 AM Post #5,562 of 7,888
what’s the difference between TI 1A and 1B? I believe 1B will be coming out next month, trying to understand what is the right interface to get with CA 1A if I were to run them on Chord TT2? And is that a pairing anyone has tried?
TI-1a utilizes the metal interface box that was used for the SR-1a that has the inputs from the amplifier on the back. It will not be available in the long run. The 1b has the same functionality in the new material, with the inputs and headphone outputs located on the front. Same internals.

Jun 23, 2022 at 10:00 PM Post #5,563 of 7,888
I don't think so...both side is the same and the tubes are brand new as the amplifier too
I spoke with Danny about the hiss and he said the way to eliminate the tubes as the source of the hiss is to remove the front middle tube (65n7) and then turn on the amp. Listen for hiss, if no hiss is there, then it is the tube at fault. If there is hiss, then turn off the amp and remove the other 2 tube in the front (EL34). I would think you would test this 1 tube at a time. Turn on the amp and listen for some hiss.

If you still have hiss then it is not the tubes.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #5,564 of 7,888
BTW - this afternoon I ordered the Topping D90LE (no MQA) DAC ($799) to be my DAC with the Jotunhiem R amp and CA-1a. I owned this D90SE before and it is similar to the Benchmark DAC3B.

Jun 24, 2022 at 12:27 AM Post #5,565 of 7,888
I spoke with Danny about the hiss and he said the way to eliminate the tubes as the source of the hiss is to remove the front middle tube (65n7) and then turn on the amp. Listen for hiss, if no hiss is there, then it is the tube at fault. If there is hiss, then turn off the amp and remove the other 2 tube in the front (EL34). I would think you would test this 1 tube at a time. Turn on the amp and listen for some hiss.

If you still have hiss then it is not the tubes.
Wow, thank you for take time to discuss it!! I will try this later. (It is also interesting, that the amp itself will get no harm by turning on without tubes. Lot of tube amps whitstand this not at all.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back