Ram Question.
Sep 14, 2006 at 8:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

GoRedwings19

Headphoneus Supremus
One of my corsair value select memory modules developed a fault, so I had to get some memory.

I wanted to get the corsair 3500ll pro. But there seems to be a shortage and the prices have been going up.

But I managed to get a set of Mushkin redline xp4000 used off ebay for reasonably priced. I want to test the that the memory is working fine.

I have set of Ram voltage to 2.8v as I read they love higher than average voltages. I have set the timing to 3-3-3-8 and it running at 260mhz per channel.

Do I run prime95 in blend mode? or large fft mode?

Also could I get tighter timings?

Here my pc specs to help with any advice you could give.

asus a8n-32sli, 4800x2, seasonic s600-s12, 2xsata2 7k250

Sep 14, 2006 at 1:55 PM Post #3 of 16
Use Memtest like Drewpy suggests. My DFI mobo got memtest built into its BIOS for exactly this purpose - very handy!

You could very likely tighten up those timings, but doing this is an artform in itself that depends on many, many factors.

I suggest you read up on the topic over at www.xtremesystems.org

Sep 14, 2006 at 2:41 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Torm
Use Memtest like Drewpy suggests. My DFI mobo got memtest built into its BIOS for exactly this purpose - very handy!

You could very likely tighten up those timings, but doing this is an artform in itself that depends on many, many factors.

I suggest you read up on the topic over at www.xtremesystems.org

thanks for the advice drewpy and torm. Now I am somewhat weary but some people have said they run it at lower timings with the volts set at @3.5 which then let's them hit 280mhz per channel. Does this seem extremely high voltage wise? I think they have the timings stupidly low like 2-2-2????

Sep 14, 2006 at 3:00 PM Post #5 of 16
I'd use MemTest myself.

3.5V sounds very high. I wouldn't do it. Tighter memory timing doesn't do much for Athlon64 because it's memory controller is integrated into the CPU. It makes more sense to increase CPU (and thus memory controller) speed
wink.gif

Sep 15, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
I'd use MemTest myself.

3.5V sounds very high. I wouldn't do it. Tighter memory timing doesn't do much for Athlon64 because it's memory controller is integrated into the CPU. It makes more sense to increase CPU (and thus memory controller) speed
wink.gif

Interesting, I also have the A8N32-SLI. So, I think I'll be increasing CPU speed then.

Sep 15, 2006 at 2:47 AM Post #7 of 16
Is it the old or new version of the XP4000? I have 2GB of the old stuff that loved volts: I ran them for over a year 24/7 @ 3.65v, 272mhz 2-2-2-5 timings. Of course, I had a small fan on them and the surround mosfet. They still work perfectly today, although since I have gotten out of extreme overclocking I backed the voltage down to 3.2v.

I would also like to point out that your A8n32-sli only allows 3.2v max, and if you have the older ram, I would leave it at 3.2v and set the timings to about 2-2-2-5 or 2-3-2-5 and see how high they go. Then play around with dividers and fsb speed to get the best combo of cpu/memory speed performance.

Sep 15, 2006 at 5:02 AM Post #8 of 16
i've got a 2 gig pair of the non redline pc4000 chips and they to love higher voltages, running 2.9v at 285 mhz stable as a mac

as for timings, your best bet is heading over to the mushkin forums, their very supportive of overclocking, and provide tons of help, not to mention the many users over there that have pushed the memory to insane levels, a while back someone had gone up to 33x mhz on your memory, so you know theres probably plenty of room left

Sep 17, 2006 at 9:22 AM Post #9 of 16
okay I ran memtest thru themand they seem to be stable. I have set the voltage to 2.65v as I went over the mushkin forum and the mushkin ram advice is the redlines I have like lower volatage. So these are not the high volt versions.

I have set the memory to 3-3-3-8 and they are running at 250mhz at the mo. I will try running them at slightly tighter timings and a slightly higher frequency.

Although I did read something interesting on the mushkin forums. For the mushkins if the timings or frequency is set to much for them to handle it will crash within the first few mins of running a 3d application something like the 3dmark series rather than memtest.

Sep 17, 2006 at 4:23 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
okay I ran memtest thru themand they seem to be stable. I have set the voltage to 2.65v as I went over the mushkin forum and the mushkin ram advice is the redlines I have like lower volatage. So these are not the high volt versions.

I have set the memory to 3-3-3-8 and they are running at 250mhz at the mo. I will try running them at slightly tighter timings and a slightly higher frequency.

Although I did read something interesting on the mushkin forums. For the mushkins if the timings or frequency is set to much for them to handle it will crash within the first few mins of running a 3d application something like the 3dmark series rather than memtest.

you probably have Samsung UCCC IC's (judging by the timings and voltage) You shouldn't need to give your RAM more than about 2.75v even to OC it some more. You should also be able to get a bit more out of it. my UCCC (g.skill) will do DDR550 (275mhz) and a little faster at 3-4-4-8

Sep 26, 2006 at 3:38 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2
you probably have Samsung UCCC IC's (judging by the timings and voltage) You shouldn't need to give your RAM more than about 2.75v even to OC it some more. You should also be able to get a bit more out of it. my UCCC (g.skill) will do DDR550 (275mhz) and a little faster at 3-4-4-8

Okay dude I tried what you said.

I raised the mem volt to 2.75V and now it will do either 260mhz 3-3-2-6 or 270mhz 3-3-3-8. I haven't tried pushing it beyond this limit though. But I did the memtest thing and it fine. So which is more ideal?

Sep 26, 2006 at 4:09 PM Post #12 of 16
IIRC Redline is not UCCC. Or if it is, that's awfully expensive UCCC compared to some other UCCC memory.

I wouldn't worry about the memory. As far as I know, on the Athlon 64 memory timings and bandwidth has a negligible effect on performance. Stuff like CPU speed is much more important, and I wouldn't worry about the memory bandwidth unless you get your CPU speed up enough that dividers might be required on the memory.

Sep 26, 2006 at 5:04 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by K2Grey
IIRC Redline is not UCCC. Or if it is, that's awfully expensive UCCC compared to some other UCCC memory.

I wouldn't worry about the memory. As far as I know, on the Athlon 64 memory timings and bandwidth has a negligible effect on performance. Stuff like CPU speed is much more important, and I wouldn't worry about the memory bandwidth unless you get your CPU speed up enough that dividers might be required on the memory.

I currently run the cpu at 2.6 mhz. I can run it fine at 2.88ghz but it kicks out a lot of heat I am not that comfortable with it running at that temp all day long.

I have one of the 4800x2 which is not a very good overclocker. It needs a lot of volts to hit 2.88ghz about 1.65V but seeming I only have air cooling I feel uneasy about running at this temp and voltage. I am undecided if water cooling is the way to go as to be honest for the amount of money to spend to make it hit 2.9ghz 24/7 hardly seems worthwhile to me. Although the lowering of temps would be welcome.

What is the safe full load temp for a chip like an amd4800x2? when I dual prime it and it running at 2.88ghz it hits about 63-65 celcius.

Sep 26, 2006 at 5:44 PM Post #14 of 16
that seems a bit high, but not dangerous, a better air cooler wouldn't hurt, but certainly not a necessary upgrade unless you really want to push clock speeds further, but then again, my cpu hasn't seen temps north of 30c (watercooling ftw) so you might want to take a look at what other peoples temps are with comparable cpu's on air cooling

Sep 28, 2006 at 3:10 AM Post #15 of 16
I believe the maximum temperature for the AMD X2 series is 65 degrees C. I do not know, however, if this is referring to the core temperature, in which case you are really pushing it, or if it is referring to the case temperature, as I once thought I saw. I tried to search for this in the past, but to no avail.

Still, I wouldn't stay at those temperatures. I have a AMD X2 3800+ which only clocks to 2.3Ghz since I was afraid to increase the voltage (from 1.35V), as at load one of the cores goes up to 55C. I think redoing the thermal paste application job might help lower the temperatures for me, but I honestly don't care about the extra 300mhz and in fact have it at stock right now.

Edit: I definitely don't think watercooling is the way to go, it would probably be not that much more expensive to just do a platform jump and move to Conroe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back