This is a neat thread
cool.gif
. Describing the best traits of each headphone, I'll chime in:

1. T50RP Mk3 - Speed/Clarity
2. Alpha Dog - Sub-Bass/Sound stage
3. NAD HP50 - Extension/Non-fatiguing
4. HD600 - Accuracy/Comfort

Aug 13, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #5,537 of 8,138
1. HE-400I - Intimate, Fast, Tight, Smooth - Great All Around.  Better than 560 for Rock/ Electonic / Pop IMO. Warmer than 560.  

2. HE-560 - 400I with wider Sound Stage. Slightly more resolving.  Slightly Colder than 400I / more neutral.  Probably better for Classical.  Otherwise, I preferred 400I on most other recordings.  

3. HD 700 - Fast, tight bass, natural treble, smooth mids (like 400S and 650 had a super baby)

4a. HE-400S - Fast, tight bass, natural treble (maybe slightly better detail than 700, but thinner), mids are nice (sometimes seems congested, seems odd for such a fast headphone)  

4b. HD 650 - Great all around, bass slightly loose, treble seems not quite as detailed (although, I think it's just more recessed), lush and easy going, more forgiving than either of the others above which can be a good thing.  

Including previously owned:

5. HD 598 - Bass light, but rest is really nice, not quite as detailed as above (less natural).  Mids Forward / great for Vocals and Acoustic

6. Grado SR 60e - Bright, sibilant, really good detail and image in price range, nice bass (Best for price if you can stand the treble - I couldn't)

7. HD 558 - Bigger bass than 598. but loose, everything else decent, but 598 kills it on everything else

Aug 21, 2016 at 8:24 AM Post #5,539 of 8,138
This time I try to rank them categorized, because there isn't a single pair I find overall, in an allround way superior.

Neutrality. (well to my ears that is. And with neutrality I mean the overall pitch/hue of the sound, especially the mids)
1. B&O Beoplay H6. When putting the H6s on and play some music I don't step in a different sound world compared to the sound in my surrounding (room and outside noise)
2. Denon AH-D5000. The big subbass and elevated treble aside, the pitch itself is very neutral, similar in a way as the H6s.
3. Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Very well balanced. Only slightly darker than the H6s and D5000s.
4. Sony MDR-Z7. Definitely colored in the mids, not warm per se but there is this distinct beige (coffee au lait) coloring going on.
5. Audio Technica ATH-A900X. Darker, warmer hued in the mids.

Naturalness: How the music enfolds in ‘authentic’ timbre, texture. To me the sound doesn't need to be neutral to be perceived as natural.
1. B&O Beoplay H6. Unforced, soft timbred, but with lots of presence. To me they sound the most true to life
2. Sony MDR-Z7
2. Denon AH-D5000. Lacks a bit texture in comparison with H6s and Z7s. The highs are not always without grain.
2. Sennheiser Momentum 2.0
5. Audio Technica ATH-A900X. There is a dry-ish texture that is very pleasing and convincing in the low mids and upper bass, but can grate in the high mids and low treble. They appear to be the most smooth at first listen, but with high pitched violins for instance there is this edge/glare that causes listening fatigue. This dry texture can cause a resonating artefact in vocals as well.

Euphony:
1. Audio Technica ATH-A900X. The textured upper bass and low mids add such a pleasing, eargasmic character to the music. The warmish color/hue of the A900Xs I find the most desirable of the headphones I own.
2. Sony MDR-Z7. The mid bass is epic with 70's music
2. B&O Beoplay H6. The soft, lush, unforced and detailed mids, lows and highs with classical music. The whole package!
2. Denon AH-D5000. They can sound so fluid and liquid at times.
2. Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 With vocals they can sound magical, at times there is this pleasing harmonic distortion.

Soundstage
1. Denon AH-D5000. The most natural sounding soundstage. Not the widest, nor the most holographic, but just right. Mids do take a backseat though
1. B&O BeoPlay H6. Lesser depth than the D5000s, but the mids are better defined and imaging is unmatched.
3. Sony MDR-Z7. The most holographic sounding, but not always natural. Very good imaging and depth. 
3. Audio Technica ATH-A900X. The widest sound of the pairs I own. Imaging is not on par with Z7s and H6s, but I enjoy the unique headroom these headphones give: an upfront sound coupled wih a huge soundstage.
5. Sennheiser Momentum 2.0. A bit cramped in comparison with my other headphones, but in itself big enough to even enjoy classical music with.
This soundstage of the Momentums  is where I would draw the line, anything with less width and depth than the M2s I will have a hard time with.

Allround capabilities Which pair is good with every genre out there.
1. Audio Technica ATH-A900X. Besides A900Xs dry-ish nature that can grate at times, they sound great with everything you throw at them, they have no preference.
2. Sony MDR-Z7. Vocals have enough presence. Mids have good clarity for classical music. Soundstage is big enough for classical. Bass is Hip Hop proof (do I listen to hip hop???) Midbass maybe just a bit too much for classical music.
3. Denon AH-D5000. Vocals are bit recessed to have supreme all-round talents, but apart from that I like them with every genre. They are surprisingly good with classical.
4. Sennheiser Momentum 2.0. Great with everyting, except classical...not awful with classical, but my other pairs are better with it.
5. B&O BeoPLay H6. Ironically enough I find the most neutral and natural sounding pair I own to have the least all-round capabilities. It all comes down to their mid and upper bass that generally are a bit lacking for pop and rock. And generally they sound amped too clean and detailed to enjoy those genres. (There are some rock albums however that sound the best with the H6s) With classical they are divine and beat my other pairs with a big margin.

Aug 25, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #5,540 of 8,138
IEM's

1. Auglamour RS1. Great soundstage and perfect treble to my ears. Strictly for acoustic jazz though.
2. Auglamour R8. Sound like the RS1 with more bass. I ditched the memory wire cable for a non-memory wire cable. Great synergy with the iBasso DX50 and the good ol' Fiio E11.
3. HCK UES. Dual drive IEM that sounded absolutely boring before switching cables and heavy EQ. When I want heavy bass,I go to the UES first.

Aug 25, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #5,541 of 8,138
1. Mitchell and Johnson GL2SE (Electret+Dynamic)
2. Music Maker Tk13 (2BA+1DD)
3. Etymotic Research HF5
4. TFZ S5 (first gen)
5.V-Moda V-80
6. Puro Sound Labs IEM500 (2DD)
7. Venture Electronics Monk and Monk Plus
8. Auglamour R8
9.Phillips SHE3590

All out of budget-fi gear (Xduoo X3 and Topping NX1A)

Aug 27, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #5,544 of 8,138
1: Sennheiser HD800 (SuperDupont Resonator)
2: Sansui SS-100 (various mods) -- barely below the Senns in detail and cleanliness, superior in clarity, tonality, and bass

-enormous gap-

3: Pioneer Monitor 10-II -- nasty enclosure + insanely good driver; bassiest of all by far and very resolving but also very dirty
4: Sony DR-Z7 -- cleaner than and almost as resolving as HD800SDR, but horribly bright and uncomfortable

Aug 27, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #5,546 of 8,138

For the HD800... do you find the sound thickened up a bit overall with that mod, rather than more low end?

Aug 27, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #5,547 of 8,138
Time for an update:

1.    HiFiMan HE1000
2a.  Sennheiser HD 800 (modified)
2b.  Electrostat 1
4.    Electrostat 2
5.    Sennheiser HD 650

(all individually equalized)

Aug 28, 2016 at 4:03 AM Post #5,548 of 8,138
Fairly logical sequence, no surprises:

1. Sennheiser HD650 (but much less of an edge that I've expected over #2, I say maybe 10-15% at most)
2. Sennheiser HD598
3. Audiotechnica M50 (but could switch with #2 if its heavy old school EDM/trance)
4. Sony MDR7506 (many say neutral, I say boring beyond belief)
5. Koss Ph17 (don't remember the exact name, but one has to start somewhere....)

Aug 30, 2016 at 3:35 AM Post #5,549 of 8,138

For the HD800... do you find the sound thickened up a bit overall with that mod, rather than more low end?

midrange became cleaner and clearer, 6kHz resonance calmed down a lot. bass is entirely unaffected -- the HD800S has thicker bass because the driver is tuned looser, nothing to do with the resonator.

Aug 30, 2016 at 7:22 AM Post #5,550 of 8,138
1. Audeze LCD-XC - best performance across the frequency spectrum
2. Audeze LCD-2 (pre-fazor) - best bass, though treble is recessed
3. HifiMan HE-500 - accented treble which gives air to acoustic instruments
4. HifiMan HE-5 LE - similar to HE-500, but bass is less refined than HE-500
5. Grado GS1000 - harsh treble, but large soundstage for classical
6. Sony MDR-ZX770BT & MDR-ZX770AP - natural & balanced sound, though treble is the weakpoint
7. Sony MDR-10RC - detailed treble, lacking bass
8. AKG K451 - pleasant mid-bass rich signature
9. AKG K430MKII - less refined version of K451
10. Roland RH-A30 - monitor presentation, but lacking detail for professional use
11. Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear - lacks dynamics
12. Camen CT-1000 - fun signature, but lacking detail
13. Sony XB950BT - sub-bass, but at the expense of everything else

I've ordered the Stax SR-207 & SR-404, my first electrostats, so I'm eager to find out where they'll fit in the list :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back