Rank the IEM's you've heard
Apr 19, 2024 at 9:58 PM Post #5,101 of 5,135
fair point, I can't say it's poor because I couldn't hear much of it. My bad. It's just anemic then. High quality anemic.
I’ll admit, bass isn’t Anni’s strong point, especially if you don’t cable roll. But I also think everyone’s ‘want’ from the low end is personal. I love Anni’s bass for Anni, as it plays a strong supporting role to its upper frequencies. But I also understand the point you were trying to make.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 10:00 PM Post #5,102 of 5,135
I’ll admit, bass isn’t Anni’s strong point, especially if you don’t cable roll. But I also think everyone’s individual ‘want’ from the low end is personal. I love Anni’s bass for Anni, as it plays a strong supporting role to its upper frequencies. But I also understand the point you were trying to make.
I totally agree that everyone's want from the low end is personal. I'm just also saying the Anni has anemic bass also. It definitely works for a chunk of people and I'm not trying to take away their enjoyment at all. But let's call it what it is. It's got token bass. Basically, if you like bass and it's important to your listening sessions, that IEM does not have it. Just like others don't have the treble that the Anni provides. These things are ok.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 10:01 PM Post #5,103 of 5,135
There’s been one available in classifieds for like two months if your interested. Unopened, significantly discounted.
I just bought it :D

Apr 19, 2024 at 10:02 PM Post #5,104 of 5,135
It's a very well balanced iem. Smooth and easy to listen for hours. Nothing really jumps out but it does have great dynamics and staging. The low end isn't huge, but it slams and has great texturing and detail, I felt there was a touch more mid bass over sub, but it's done very nicely. Mids are clear, smooth and detailed. Nothing jumps out and no sibilance to be heard, slightly forward though sounding a touch thin. Same with the treble, has great energy and good amount of detail but never felt like there was too much. Overall a very coherent, yet energetic and smooth listen, balanced and neutral. I enjoyed them a lot. But I did feel staging could be better and overall resolution could be a touch better especially for the price and tech. But overall, a very good all rounder iem.
Would it benefit from a cable swap or do you think stock was quite good?

Apr 19, 2024 at 10:04 PM Post #5,105 of 5,135
I totally agree that everyone's want from the low end is personal. I'm just also saying the Anni has anemic bass also. It definitely works for a chunk of people and I'm not trying to take away their enjoyment at all. But let's call it what it is. It's got token bass.
Ahh too many variables for me to agree with that. I bet I could make your favorite sets low end sound anemic with the right, or wrong, combination of source/ tips/ cable.

Apr 19, 2024 at 10:05 PM Post #5,106 of 5,135
I was definitely not the biggest fan of the Annihilator bass, but I couldn't imagine having heard it as anemic?

For me it was quite punchy and full in the mid bass, I just had issues with the texturing (or lack of) and how the driver resolved sub bass frequencies which to me felt quite one-noted. Granted, I have not heard the 2023 Anni so my impressions are based off of the universal and CIEM Anni 2021, but it is the same dynamic driver.

Apr 19, 2024 at 10:05 PM Post #5,107 of 5,135
Apr 19, 2024 at 10:12 PM Post #5,108 of 5,135
Ahh too many variables for me to agree with that. I bet I could make your favorite sets low end sound anemic with the right, or wrong, combination of source/ tips/ cable.
If someone wants to sell me an over 3K IEM that I need to buy an expensive cable for to make it have decent bass, if that's even true, then I'm not interested. If my source sounds great with ten different IEM's but not yours, then that's also not for me. That's just insulting to my intelligence. I have 20-30 different kinds of tips and always tip roll, and I find that totally reasonable. Tips are very personal, but if you can't ship me a cable that represents your IEM right, at over 3K? Seriously, not for me. I find that laughable.

I auditioned the Anni once, and then once again right next to the Pilgrim. Same tips, just about the same nozzle width, big difference in bass. Also A/B'ing to another IEM. I mean it's just how it is.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 10:21 PM Post #5,110 of 5,135
Apr 19, 2024 at 10:33 PM Post #5,111 of 5,135
If someone wants to sell me an over 3K IEM that I need to buy an expensive cable for to make it have decent bass, if that's even true, then I'm not interested. If my source sounds great with ten different IEM's but not yours, then that's also not for me. That's just insulting to my intelligence. I have 20-30 different kinds of tips and always tip roll, and I find that totally reasonable. Tips are very personal, but if you can't ship me a cable that represents your IEM right, at over 3K? Seriously, not for me. I find that laughable.

I auditioned the Anni once, and then once again right next to the Pilgrim. Same tips, just about the same nozzle width, big difference in bass. Also A/B'ing to another IEM. I mean it's just how it is.
That’s cool man. Some of us enjoy rolling cables and sources to fine tune and find the ultimate pair up. I don’t care that you don’t like Anni, I’m just pointing out that you’re wrong. I don’t like Volur, but I publicly express all of its short comings because it doesn’t perform how ‘I’ like. A lot of folks enjoy it, and their reasons are their own. It’s like tuning up a car. Does it need a new exhaust? No, but you buy one because it improves the cars performance and you like how it sounds.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 10:40 PM Post #5,112 of 5,135
I'm just also saying the Anni has anemic bass also. It definitely works for a chunk of people and I'm not trying to take away their enjoyment at all. But let's call it what it is. It's got token bass. Basically, if you like bass and it's important to your listening sessions, that IEM does not have it. Just like others don't have the treble that the Anni provides. These things are ok.
I was definitely not the biggest fan of the Annihilator bass, but I couldn't imagine having heard it as anemic?

For me it was quite punchy and full in the mid bass, I just had issues with the texturing (or lack of) and how the driver resolved sub bass frequencies which to me felt quite one-noted. Granted, I have not heard the 2023 Anni so my impressions are based off of the universal and CIEM Anni 2021, but it is the same dynamic driver.
Agreed with aaf here. Anni definitely does not have the most textured or weighty bass, especially at the $3k USD mark, but it’s definitely not anemic by any stretch.

Its mid-bass graphs quite elevated and sounds that way too. That said, it’s definitely the weakest part of the Anni’s FR so I’m in agreement there.

Apr 19, 2024 at 10:44 PM Post #5,113 of 5,135
God bless your soul… I need to try that.
It’s actually a really solid pick, particularly for the price point a second hand one goes for now

Apr 19, 2024 at 10:45 PM Post #5,114 of 5,135
That’s cool man. Some of us enjoy rolling cables and sources to fine tune and find the ultimate pair up. I don’t care that you don’t like Anni, I’m just pointing out that you’re wrong. I don’t like Volur, but I publicly express all of its short comings because it doesn’t perform how ‘I’ like. A lot of folks enjoy it, and their reasons are their own. It’s like tuning up a car. Does it need a new exhaust? No, but you buy one because it improves the cars performance and you like how it sounds.
There are subjective things and there are actual objective things. People come here to read about people's perceptions of IEMs before they spend thousands of dollars on one. I mean it's great if we could live in this kumbaya world where everything sounded great to everyone but that's just not how it is. We have different ears we listen to different kinds of music. But on some level at some point there is an objective place where something has or doesn't have something to a point. It's okay to tell it how it is.

I know the Volurs strengths and shortcomings and that's why I recommend it only to people that are looking for the sound signature I know it provides. I don't pretend it has acceptable treble technicalities of multiple other IEMs which detail, resolution, and treble heads want. So why should I pretend that Anni has decent bass. It's anemic compared to dozens of IEMs I've heard.

It's weird how people are so attached to an IEM that they can't even deal with actual constructive opinions about it.

It's a very hyped IEM and it's great if you like amazing treble detail and lovely mids. But it's not good if you think bass is an important part of The music you listen to or how you enjoy listening to music.

I'm not insulting your family. Or your friends. It's a product. This whole hobby is about different frequencies working in different ways and other technicalities such as resolution and sound stage and Dynamics. But frequency ranges are pretty damn important. I'm sorry if it offends anyone's feelings but I've heard it for multiple people who have tried many expensive IEMs, The Anni have weak bass.

For anyone who places an importance on Bass. For others if you don't really care about bass then it's not weak.

I fail to see how that's not okay to express.

Also graphs are good to a point, but they are not definitive about bass that is for sure, based on quantity.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 10:53 PM Post #5,115 of 5,135
There are subjective things and there are actual objective things. People come here to read about people's perceptions of IEMs before they spend thousands of dollars on one. I mean it's great if we could live in this kumbaya world where everything sounded great to everyone but that's just not how it is. We have different ears we listen to different kinds of music, It's okay to tell it how it is.

I know the Volurs strengths and shortcomings and that's why I recommend it only to people that are looking for the sound signature I know it provides. I don't pretend it has acceptable treble technicalities of multiple other IEMs which detail, resolution, and treble heads want. So why should I pretend that Anni has decent bass. It's anemic compared to dozens of IEMs I've heard.

It's weird how people are so attached to an IEM that they can't even deal with actual constructive opinions about it.

It's a very hyped IEM and it's great if you like amazing treble detail and lovely mids. But it's not good if you think bass is an important part of The music you listen to or how you enjoy listening to music.

I'm not insulting your family. Or your friends. It's a product. This whole hobby is about different frequencies working in different ways and other technicalities such as resolution and sound stage and Dynamics. But frequency ranges are pretty damn important. I'm sorry if it offends anyone's feelings but I've heard it for multiple people who have tried many expensive IEMs, The Anni have weak bass.

For anyone who places an importance on Bass. For others if you don't really care about bass then it's not weak.

I fail to see how that's not okay to express.

Also graphs are good to a point, but they are not definitive about bass that is for sure, based on quantity.
Brother, I’m sitting on my couch, enjoying a bourbon while simultaneously petting my two pups. Im cool as a cucumber. You’re stating your opinion as fact. I’m telling you no. End of story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back