Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Oct 26, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #11,236 of 24,686

Cannot believe I've watched two Jean Claude Van Damme movies in one month.
6 Bullets was good for a 6.75/10 and this new Universal Soldier:Day Of Reckoning garners a 6.5/10

Scott Adkins grabs all the face time,he actually gets into a Stallone type repetitive grunting session during one of his scenes that had me laughing.
Old Dolf Lundgren really shows his age during his big fight scene.
Jean Claude plays a character reminiscent of Col. Kurtz in Apocalypse Now.

If there was ever an antithesis of the "Chick Flick" this has to be it.
Rated R for brutal bloody violence throughout was meant for this film.
Solid action sequences,a good vehicle chase and a word of warning: photosensitive epileptics would be advised to turn away at two points,during very intense strobe like special effects.
Honestly,I have never seen anything so bright on my HD screen and had to look away,even though I do not suffer from epilepsy.

The Director really mixed the formula up for this action film,it is one of the better ones of 2012,believe it or not.

Oct 26, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #11,237 of 24,686
That Universal Soldier film looks like one I'd enjoy...I'm gonna check that out. 

Tonight I saw Taken 2....not as good as the first one, and not a realistic film at all, but was kind of a fun ride. 

Taken 2 = 6.5/10

Oct 26, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #11,238 of 24,686
Quote:
Looper was a great movie I think.  Fascinating story and tastefully done.  I'd give it a solid 8.5/9

I'd rate Looper a 2/5. I think it falls short when it comes to explaining the time travelling mechanics.

In the film it's suggested that time is non-linear - young Joe killed himself in the fields, but is still able to travel to China, meet his wife and gain the impetus to return to the past to kill the nascent Rainmaker? The element of time travel is treated too loosely in this film, with no consideration for the subtleties of the butterfly effect. 

Had the film been able to substantiate and explain this alternate paradigm of non-linear chronology, it would have been a true masterpiece. But it chose the lazy way out. Another instance of laziness is the use of telekinetic powers. It simply borrows a concept well established in other franchises, when it could have designed the perfect crime by the smartest villain.

On the positive note, I do accept the concepts of loopers and closing of loops, though surely there are easier ways to kill a person using the time machine? Like send him to a volcano, or to a prehistoric age with T-Rex and stuff.

Oct 26, 2012 at 4:47 AM Post #11,239 of 24,686
i watched Taken 2 whith one of my buddies in the cinema yesterday. 7/10 just because we were laughing and having jokes about how bad and unlife-like some scenes are:)

Jennifer's Body... ewww. i dont think i should rank that movie.its really really bad.

Oct 26, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #11,240 of 24,686
Couldn't sleep, so decided to have a double feature...I enjoyed the HELL out of this one! Not the best choice for when I really should be sleeping, but I was thoroughly entertained. If you enjoy movies similar to They Fly, you might enjoy this one. Michael Shannon is one of my favorite actors, and he was PERFECT in this role. Ashley Judd was also really good...gotta give her props, as well. There is a slight lull in the film just past the midway point, but the first half build-up was very interesting and the last half hour is off the chains. 

Oh, and be sure to watch to the end of the credits. 

Bug - 8.0/10

Oct 26, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #11,241 of 24,686
Moon 9/10

Oct 26, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #11,242 of 24,686
I enjoyed the HELL out of this one!Bug - 8.0/10

How the hell did you hang in there?
Insomnia or watch BUG,I guess.
I lasted an hour and had to fast forward to the end.
Thanks for the movie review,just the same.

Put an alcoholic,cocaine/crack head and a paranoid schizophrenic inside a run down motel room,add an ex-con boyfriend and a hot lesbian into the mix and you get:
(buggered X delusions) = bug
Ashley Judd and Harry Connick Jr. should have stuck to a karaoke duet.
Harry must be putting in some serious time with a personal trainer,he does manage to pull off the abusive,stalker boyfriend act.
BUG - 5/10

Try Universal Soldier:Day of reckoning.You will be much better off.

Oct 26, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #11,243 of 24,686
Lol they really did a remake of universal soldiers with the same actors :p. JCVD is still pretty fit but still.

As for bugs is it as disgusting as the Fly or is it more psychological horror?

Watched War Horse. Worst Stephen Spielberg movie I ever saw. 2/10.

Oct 26, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #11,244 of 24,686
As for bugs is it more psychological horror?

Yes.
Chemically induced paranoid psychosis meets clinically unstable schizophrenic convinced of radio wave emitting aphids in a motel room.
Similar to: "Oh - meth addicts who are hallucinating bugs are on their skin".
Obsessively picking at their skin with their nails, or other sharp objects to the point that it bleeds.
Let's now make a movie...

Lol they really did a remake of universal soldiers with the same actors :p. JCVD is still pretty fit but still.

I am as confounded as you.
Do give this film (universal soldier:day of reckoning) a spin and post a score.

Oct 26, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #11,246 of 24,686
Quote:
How the hell did you hang in there?
Insomnia or watch BUG,I guess.
I lasted an hour and had to fast forward to the end.
Thanks for the movie review,just the same.
Put an alcoholic,cocaine/crack head and a paranoid schizophrenic inside a run down motel room,add an ex-con boyfriend and a hot lesbian into the mix and you get:
(buggered X delusions) = bug
Ashley Judd and Harry Connick Jr. should have stuck to a karaoke duet.
Harry must be putting in some serious time with a personal trainer,he does manage to pull off the abusive,stalker boyfriend act.
BUG - 5/10
Try Universal Soldier:Day of reckoning.You will be much better off.

lol, I can totally get why you didn't care for it....I think it was just one of those times when a movie meshed with the mood I was in, and I tend to really like psychological thriller types. I think this is a film that will have just as many who hate it as they are that enjoy it.

Definitely going to check out the Universal Soldier flick....I've only seen the first one, so I may see the others, as well...at least I THINK there were others, yes?

Oct 26, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #11,247 of 24,686
Quote:

As for bugs is it as disgusting as the Fly or is it more psychological horror?

Mostly psychological and psycho-somatic. The Fly was a MUCH better film, but I enjoyed this one for what it was. I can't stand Harry Connick, but I typically enjoy most roles that Michael Shannon takes on...I find him to be a really solid character actor.

Oct 26, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #11,248 of 24,686
Definitely going to check out the Universal Soldier flick....I've only seen the first one, so I may see the others, as well...at least I THINK there were others, yes?

(1992) (1998) (2009) (2012) four in total.
John Hyams directs the last two and the 2012 effort is the best of the bunch IMO,unless you're feeling nostalgic for the 80's feel of the first one...

Oct 26, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #11,249 of 24,686
Quote:
(1992) (1998) (2009) (2012) four in total.
John Hyams directs the last two and the 2012 effort is the best of the bunch IMO,unless you're feeling nostalgic for the 80's feel of the first one...

Wow, okay I'll definitely see it then if you say it's the best....I remember really enjoying the original. I have my new Roku showing up today, so this will give me a good title to watch on Vudu tonight. I'm glad that Roku and Vudu finally got a deal done...I love me some Vudu!

Oct 26, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #11,250 of 24,686
Contraband 8/10. Very good. I gather it´s some kind of remake? Very dark movie more or less required a really good plasma or projector in a pitch black room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back