Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Aug 15, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #23,881 of 24,686
The visual concept designers have a lot of weight when it comes to the way the world is represented on film. Lucas doesn't design world visually, but guides talented people.

The original Star Wars team had the right visual concept designers, and were much more free-er in pursuing their interests as the team was relatively new.

The concepts of the original trilogy was done by Joe Johnston, who refined the designs of Ralph McQuarrie. McQuarrie's designed were formulaically solid, but not well refined, and Joe Johnston made them refined to look very practical.

The prequals storyboarding and concept design was done by somebody different and hence, they didn't turn out to be as epic as the original trilogy.

CNSnuCPXAAAm69q.jpg
0a9ea618675178d6f9690271736181cb.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2022 at 7:25 PM Post #23,882 of 24,686
Jaws - 6/10

I actually have never seen this until now.

This movie hasn't aged well. I just don't get what the draw is, or why I've heard it to be considered a 'masterpiece.' Probably my least liked Spielberg films. The acting felt like it's from the 50's or something. Maybe Hitchcock's 50's style influence is showing here until later he expresses in his personal styles. Different from Spielberg's later productions. I was bored out of my mind.

I have seen too many movies with actually gripping suspense, and even Spielberg's later stuff was better done in terms of suspense. I don't get it. I don't get anything out of this movie. I always thought when Spielberg was in his prime, he put a lot of clever stuff in his films, and this one wasn't like that at all.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2022 at 9:16 PM Post #23,883 of 24,686
You do realize jaws is ranked 35 best film of all time and ranked #1 as Spielberg best flick….. just saying. I mean first someone s-at on preditor now jaws, where is the humanity ?

Aug 15, 2022 at 10:33 PM Post #23,884 of 24,686
You do realize jaws is ranked 35 best film of all time and ranked #1 as Spielberg best flick….. just saying. I mean first someone s-at on preditor now jaws, where is the humanity ?
Jaws #1 Spielberg flick? Bahaha.... That's got to be a joke. This is why ranking don't matter and I kinda knew I would be bored of Jaws so never really saw it until recently and it is quite boring and nothing really special. But, Jurassic Park or Saving Private Ryan on the other hand, I really enjoyed. I've seen the Omaha beach scene countless times on a DTS surround sound system because it's a masterpiece scene. I enjoy majority of his movies around this era. I'm one of his biggest fans of Indiana Jones trilogy. Those films are so much better than Jaws. So, I really don't care if it's 35 best films of 80 year old critic. It's just didn't age well.

There's a lot of top films of all time list that I really don't care for. Just because it's in a list don't mean squat to me. If it's boring, it's boring.

THX 1138 - 7.5/10

This one on the other hand, aged well. This movie shows that young Lucas was a good visionary and a talented photographer. The visual style for it's time is very good. It's very similar to Stanly Kubrick's style which ages better than most old films. Made in 1971, and showed that he's do films like this with a certain non-conventional style. Story is too simplistic and not that interesting (lost me during the middle of the film which got dull), but the visual style was great for it's time. Again, it's from 1971. Much respect to young Lucas.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2022 at 10:44 PM Post #23,885 of 24,686
Jaws #1 Spielberg flick? Bahaha.... That's got to be a joke. This is why ranking don't matter and I kinda knew I would be bored of Jaws so never really saw it until recently and it is quite boring and nothing really special. But, Jurassic Park or Saving Private Ryan on the other hand, I really enjoyed. I enjoy majority of his movies around this era. I'm one of his biggest fans of Indiana Jones trilogy. Those films are so much better than Jaws. So, I really don't care if it's 35 best films of 80 year old critic. It's just didn't age well.

There's a lot of top films of all time list that I really don't care for. Just because it's in a list don't mean squat to me. If it's boring, it's boring.

THX 1138 - 7.5/10

This one on the other hand, aged well. This movie shows that young Lucas was a good visionary and a talented photographer. The visual style for it's time is very good. It's very similar to Stanly Kubrick's style which ages better than most old films. Made in 1971, and showed that he's do films like this with a certain non-conventional style. Story is too simplistic and not that interesting, but the visual style was great for it's time. Much respect to young Lucas.
When Jaws came out, people actually were avoiding the beaches, terrified of going into the water.

When a movie that is not real has that much influence on the general public, its good.

If they remade that movie today, Jaws would have the ability to fly, laser beam eyes, built like a shark version of the Rock, have telekinetic powers, and wear oakleys because why not. And no one would be afraid to go in the water.

Aug 16, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #23,886 of 24,686
American Graffiti - 7.7/10

Fun movie, but I probably wouldn't rewatch it. I'm surprised that Lucas created such style of movie. He seems multi-genre talented seeing this type of film by him. There a good cast of well recognizable actors in the early part of their career.

It started out great, but I got disinterested half way through. This one aged well. This is the kind of movie you'd expect from the 80's and Lucas was ahead of his time in terms making a teen movie. It's from 1973, which is ahead of it's time.

If you like 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off' or 'The Breakfast Club,' you'd be into this. I'm guessing they got the inspiration for TV sitcom, 'Happy Days' from this movie?

Wow, this movie returned $140 mil from the box off from a budget of $777k. Crazy.. I always thought this was some early indie film by Lucas, but that's far from the truth. No wonder Lucas got the budget to do 'Star Wars.'

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #23,887 of 24,686
Jaws - 6/10

I actually have never seen this until now.

This movie hasn't aged well. I just don't get what the draw is, or why I've heard it to be considered a 'masterpiece.' Probably my least liked Spielberg films.

I think this and Close Encounters of the Third Kind are my favorite movies of his.
AI is also a totally underrated masterpiece that more people should see!
Same with "Catch Me if You Can".

Jaws is a film I could never get sick of. I find it entertaining from start to finish and time just flies by when I watch it.
I didn't really appreciate this film much until I finally saw it in the theater. I think that was viewing 3 or 4.
Other than the suspense I think one reason I like it so much is it's characters. Has a good script, perfect cast and acting. It also has some comedy in it (plus for me).

I don't know how anyone could find it boring.
Then again i'm the guy that got bored to death watching "Inception". Was just painful sitting through that.
I don't usually see Marvel movies too because I find them extremely boring. Even during the action scenes.
The only one that comes to mind recently that I LOVED was Guardians of the Galaxy 2. Didn't like the first one. Strange.

Oh and know what the most boring movie made in the last year to me was? Batman!
Even the Christopher Nolan Batman films are pretty boring to me.

BTW I got a movie suggestion for you SilverEars. Alfred Hitchcock's Rear Window.

I'd be curious if you'd find this boring or very suspenseful.
In it the main character is sitting in his home most of the movie and spying on the activities of his neighbors.
Has a lot of suspense it in. One of the few Alfred Hitchcock films i've loved.

You also might enjoy the Jaws-like movie "The Meg".
I actually found it extremely fun/entertaining. A good popcorn movie really.
I still enjoy those. My favorite in the genre is "Independence Day". I've seen that at least 100 times (!).

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2022 at 12:37 AM Post #23,890 of 24,686
The Sinner (Season 2) - 8.5/10

This show is definitely worth watching if you love detective/crime dramas. I'm going to be watching all 3 seasons for sure.
This would have been even better if they left off one important event in the last episode that was just too hard to believe.
It didn't need to be added and they could have done things a bit different.
The "mom" in the movie was also not someone that should have been trusted at the end (she was a cult member).
I actually liked this season so much I binge watched it in just 3 days (which is pretty fast for me).
BTW Bill Pullman is a really good actor in this show.

Also...PS that finale episode of Better Call Saul Season 6 was so good. I seriously could not have come up with something better.
It's too bad the entire season was not that good. Tempted to go and watch every season again. It's easy to do for me and flies by unlike with Breaking Bad :)
Looks like there is no more spin-offs. Oh well. If there is one in the future I hope it's story is focused on what happens to Kim Wexler.
I wanted a spin-off focused on HHM or another law firm, but I think it's obvious by now this isn't happening.
I don't care if it has little to do with the Breaking Bad world (just has to have Kim Wexler in it).

Pretty sure my top 3 all time favorite TV shows now are The Walking Dead, Better Call Saul and Doc Martin.
I think there is no Doc Martin season i'd give less than a 10/10.. seriously.
It's a British TV show that they sometimes play on PBS or public TV.
I think it's free on Tubi or another of those free TV channels.
It used to be a LOT harder to watch. I think Netflix should add it to it's catalog someday.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #23,892 of 24,686
I think there is no Doc Martin season i'd give less than a 10/10.. seriously.
It's a British TV show that they sometimes play on PBS or public TV.
I think it's free on Tubi or another of those free TV channels.
It used to be a LOT harder to watch. I think Netflix should add it to it's catalog someday.
It was on Netflix for a very long time. I think it went to Amazon Prime afterwards.

Aug 19, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #23,893 of 24,686
Rear window is excellent, got to put it in rotation. Started despicable me 3, too stoned, got to try it again.….

day shift 2022 net flix

vampires meet cirque de Soleil meet exorcist, in this vampire multiple genealogy type scenario, where fangs are cash at the local pawn shop. Add snoop and what could be weirder? Not much, just for the giggles gets 3.5 puffs.

Aug 20, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #23,894 of 24,686
Top Gun Maverick (8/10)

Was not expecting alot because of the previous reviews here. This movie was great, flight scenes were amazing, just outstanding. Its a little out there but still within the realm of realism. Its not like other movies that the characters suddenly have superpowers in a non superhero movie. I love the dogfighting scenes, I think this one was better than the original.

I know he's crazy but gotta give him credit Tom Cruise is a great actor and apparently sold his soul to the devil because for eternal youth.

Story could have been a little better but wasn't bad, I felt they could have chosen a better actor for Goose's son, thats a difficult role and I think he fell short of what was needed. Also its hard to make Jon Hamm a dislikable character, they tried to make him the villain but the guy is too likeable, Michael Ironside, James Tolkan, Ed Harris are awesome at this but not Jon Hamm. He's just that guy that your parents compared you to your whole life that was better and more successfull at everything and still nice to you and everyone else despite him knowing that you secretly hate him.

Anyway, I don't know how you give this movie a negative.

Aug 22, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #23,895 of 24,686
"88MPH: The Story of the DeLorean Time Machine" is a documentary I would rate 9/10. This really surprised me, it's free to watch on YouTube, and while I like cars I'm not that much of an enthusiast, this is just a solid documentary that balances fascinating details and history along with some touching personal stories. Well filmed, edited and produced. Watch it here:

Same people put out this documentary as well, haven't watched it yet:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back