Ray Samuels Emmeline XP-7 Review/Impressions (Awesome Budget Component Alert)
Oct 18, 2003 at 6:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

Tuberoller

Divorced an Orpheus to keep his wife.
[size=large]Ray Samuels Audio Emmeline XP-7 Portable Headphone Amp[/size]

[size=small]Awesome Budget Component Alert #5[/size]

Once in while there comes along a product that changes the way we perceive all other similar products, a product that raises the bar by which all others are measured. I really can't remember the last audio component that clearly "raised the bar" and universally impressed every single person who was able to experience it. I have much more difficult time remembering any headphone gear which had such an impact. I can confidently say,without fear of risking my neck and reputation,that the Ray Samuels Audio Emmeline XP-7 headphone amp is one of those products. You guys know I hate to hold you in suspense so I offer my impressions in the first few sentences of my reviews to give you the gist of the remainder of the review so that you know where this is going.

Amps for comparison purposes(portable):

Headroom Cosmic w/reference module,battery power supply and a/c wall power supply

Meier Audio Porta Corda 1

JMT META 42 "Maxed out" (as Jon would put it.)

Grado RA1-9V battery unit

JMT Altoids Amp(this was my first portable headphone amp)

Home amps used for comparison:

Headroom Max w/stepped attenuator

Meier Prehead -LM chip

Meier HA2

Meier Audio HA1 MKII

Phones:

HD600 w/Equinox

Beyer DT880

Beyer DT930

AKG K271 Studio

Grado RS1

Sources:

Philips DVD 963SA

Denon DVD 2900

Musichall Maverick SACD/CDP

Musical Fidelity Trivista (I only had the XP-7 and Trivista for two days together but was able to gather some solid impressions)

Marantz DV 8400

Yamaha DVD-S2300

Musical Fidelity A324 DAC

Sony D-25S PCDP

Archos Jukebox Studio 20

Cables:

Meier Audio prototype Interconnect

Dimarzio M-Path

Acoustic Zen WOW!

Canare digital Coax

Custom Silver Mini

Custom Silver RCA-mini

The music listed below are the recordings I auditioned when I performed the critical listening phase of my impressions. References to specific tracks of these recordings are made in the body of my impressions.

Lizz Wright- "Salt"

Kurt Elling- "Man in The Air"

Ledisi- "Feeling Orange ,But Sometimes Blue"

Rene Marie - "Live at Jazz Standard"

Marvin Gaye-"Let's Get It On" SACD

Tierney Sutton-"Something Cool" Pure DSD SACD

Joe Sample-"The Pecan Tree" Pure DSD SACD

My listening prefences are vocal and instrumental jazz, classic R&B and instrumental Rock. I don't listen at loud volumes and most of my listening is done in a quiet room. My solid-state reference system consists of the Headroom Max amplifier w/stepped attenuator,Sennheiser HD600 phones w/Equinox replacement cable,Philips DVD 963 SACD,MF 324 DAC,VPI Extended Aries Table w/Grado Sonata cartridge,Ray Samuels XR2 Phono stage.My reference interconnect is the Acoustic Zen WOW!.

I have gotten way,way behind on my reviews and have allowed 12 of them to pile up on me. I hate to refuse products to review and hate even worse to promise a review that gets delayed like some of them have. Reviews are really not easy to do and sometimes the words to accurately describe what you hear,see and feel escape you,never to be found again. When I first got the XP-7 I knew I would have little trouble descibing the emotions this little amp elicits when I listen to it. The very first time I heard it,I knew I was hearing something special. How do you describe that? How do I tell you that what I hear is "special"? This is not an "Audiophile Term" which requires a glossary to decipher,it's a feeling of absolute knowledge of something that has moved you. The XP-7 is indeed "Special".

My review sample is the very first unit installed in the production casing and was silk-screened in a manner that Ray Samuels deemed "unacceptable". It is otherwise identical to the current production versions. I never had the opportunity to swap Op-amps and I never used the power supply in my system. I only heard the power-supply at a later date at Ray's home with another Head-fier in attendance. Keep in mind all my impressions are formed on this basis and under these conditions only.

I have always loved the black backround offered by the Ray Samuels Audio gear. This is the genious of Mr. Samuels,his power supplies are some of the best in the business and it shows. The XP-7 is no different. Being battery powered it is not subject to a/c line noise but the chasis shielding is also superb. There is an absolute silence in the XP-7's presentation. With a silent backround to build on the XP-7 constructs a sonic structure of immense detail,depth and impact. The treble on the XP-7 is nothing short of fantastic. The upper frequencies come across clear and focused without the slightest hint of congestion,harshness or strain. Cymbals are given space and reproduced with a faithful timbre and focus. Piano notes in the higher frequencies sound like.....piano. Some amps make piano notes sound almost like an electronic keyboard and/or render these notes as a generic key punches. With the XP-7, and to a like degree the Headroom Cosmic,you can actually hear the Pianist's "touch" on the keys. When I hear the Joe Sample recording I can almost feel Joe stroke the keys in his unique fashion. His sound comes through untouched and altered in no way. Vocals in the treble range are true to the voice of the singers. Ledisi has an amazing vocal range that takes the listener on a trip through all the possibilities of the human voice. Her voice sounds lifelike,with an almost chilling effect. The XP-7 is the portable amp champ here and does very well against the Headroom Max and Prehead home amps with the Prehead offering slightly more treble extension but similar clarity.

The midrange is where the pie is and the XP-7 is serving up Chocolate Cream. It is sweet,airy,detailed and just plain "right". This sounds like a good tube amp in terms of tonality and focus. The XP-7 sometimes runs the ragged egde of sounding too sweet but the stunning clarity and detail keeps the sound in focus. I sometimes here a slight "forwardness" of some vocals,specifically the Kurt Elling disc on the "Never My Love" track. Mr.Elling's voice can sometimes overpower the instruments and make his voice sound "close miked". This was only evident with the DT880 and AKG 271 phones and was never really bad but it did tilt an otherwise great tonal balance. I looked for discs that would challenge the midrange balance of the XP-7 and few tripped it up. There is really no such thing as a "soundstage" on headphone gear but the XP-7 does give a very accurate sense of instrument placement and stage depth. There is an ease with which the XP-7 performs it's midrange magic,you never get the impression that the XP-7 is working hard or has reached it's limits and this seems to be the case with all the phones. The percussions of Peter Escevedo on the Ledisi disc on the "Feeling Orange Again" track are amazing and I hate it when I audition gear that gets this wrong. The XP-7 does this recording justice. When you guys hear me bashing gear because of a poor midrange performance,understand that I'm talking about the complete midrange frequency and all the music that is recorded there. A poor midrange is near inexcusable and will kill an otherwise stellar showing. The next time you audition an amp or phones try some music that has a lot of percussions like some Cuban jazz. If you know what these percussions really sound like then you'll know right away what I'm talking about and why I find anything less than the accurate reproduction of the entire midrange unacceptable. The XP-7 offers this stellar midrange performance at all volumes and has great detail at lower listening levels. The Cosmic is slightly superior in offering a "fleshiness" to vocals but I think this is mainly due to the crossfeed. The Grado has an overly lush midrange that sounds far too "optimistic" and heavily skews the tonal balance. Only these amps come close to the XP-7 midrange as far as portables go. The Max and Prehead give you a more palable sense of presence.

The XP-7 is a bass head,that being stated in the good way, bass is everywhere and it sounds good. It's not the deepest bass but it's the accurate and super-tight kind. You won't hear the big, boomy,sloppy bass of amps like the Gilmores and you won't get the distant,detached bass of the Grado. The bass performance of the XP-7 is in strict maintenance of it's superb overall tonal balance. If bass were any deeper I think it would detract from music in the mids and treble and place an unrealistic focus on the lower frequencies. I like to use only real percussion music to get a feel for what the bass timber and accuracy is like. The XP-7 makes real drums sound like real drums. That electronic snare drum sound has to be the worse sound in music today and I hate it. Some amps make all snare drums sound like this and kill the bass notes for me. Bass notes are easily distinguishable and arrive at your ears sounding like the instrument from which they originated. Again,the specific styles of musicians is easliy heard and felt. Bassist Elias Bailey on the Rene Marie disc has a very unique style, sounding as though he is "tickling" the strings of his upright bass. His "voice" comes through very clearly on the best amps and the XP-7 is one of those amps. I won't tell you that the bass on the XP-7 is the most extended I have heard. The Cosmic goes a bit deeper but does not match the detail of the XP-7. The XP-7 has very good dynamics and considering the loud volumes that Ray Samuels listens,I would have expected nothing less. There is no loss of bass performance at the very lowest volumes,even with the batteries near death. Bass definition was about the same with the optional power supply with perhaps a bit more extension and impact. The XP-7 was very fond of the HD600 and offered the most extended and punchy bass using those phones.

As you might have gathered I am very impressed with the sound of the XP-7,that's only painting half the picture. The XP-7 is so stinkin' cool on so many levels it's hard to go into them all. The chassis and case are of the very highest quality and I'm sure this amp would survive a hard 6-7 foot drop on cement. The battery compartments are the slickest yet and almost too funky for words,too trick. The fact that you can swap op-amps to tailor the sound to your liking is the cat's ass,I don't know if you can do that with any other portable but it's just a neat trick all the way around. I'm diggin' the metal knob,switches,nice jacks and the general feeling that I'm using a high-quality component. This is built right and "like a tank" might be an insult to the XP-7 cause' most tanks are built to be repaired constantly.

I was able to get 37 hours out of two Ray-o-Vac 9V batteries and sound quality never diminished. When the batteries died they did so with the unit powered down,it never shut off with the low batteries. I was only able to get 29 hours with the two rechargable 9v batts I used,which leads me to believe that all these rechargables are the same as some have commented.

If you think I'm lathering up the XP-7 you'd be wrong. I loved it and it reciprocated my affection by giving me the very best sound I have yet heard from any portable amp. This amp deserves my strong feelings toward it and so does it deserve your consideration if you are looking for a great amp. This gets an unconditional "Awesome Budget Component Alert" and I predict Ray will sell as many as he can make.

Ray Samuels Audio Emmeline XP-7

Price: $495.00 $695.00 with optional dedicated power supply housed in HD aluminum chassis

Power: 2 9 VDc batteries housed in chassis via two drawers at rear of chassis

Dimensions: 5 1/2 inches (139mm)wide,5 1/8 inches (130mm) deep from RCA jacks to front volume knob,1 15/16 inches (49mm) tall.

Input/Output Jacks: 1 set RCA inputs,1 1/4" headphone output jack (non locking).

Chassis: 2mm Black anodized aluminum with removeable top and bottom plates,3mm thick face plate secured with counter-sink philips screws at top,bottom and rear chassis attachment points.Faceplate held on with allen screws. Chassis labeled with very high quality Silk Screen lettering.

I'll weigh the unit with and without batteries when I make it by the post office later today.

Oct 18, 2003 at 6:39 AM Post #2 of 41
Fred, another fantastic review. but will you please stop making me want to buy things! once I've better digested your review, I'll be sure to post some questions about the XP-7. (Btw, feel free to email me or post any thoughts you might have about my dilemma in my thread about picking a new headamp
tongue.gif
)

Thanks for the good read

Oct 18, 2003 at 7:13 AM Post #3 of 41
Great Review! Thanks again. Is this amp portable enough to take on airplanes? In other words I have a headroom pouch that fits a portable cd player and another compartment for an amp, is the XP-7 small enough for something like that? One more question. Have you heard Ray's new tube preamp and if so are you going to review that one too?

Oct 18, 2003 at 12:46 PM Post #4 of 41
Tuberoller: Thanks for another fabulous review. I am a big fan of your Budget Component Alerts. I bought your last recommendation - MPX3 - and am extremely happy. Only bad thing with these alerts is that I can't afford to try them all
rolleyes.gif

I hate to ask but how does this compare to the HR-2?

Oct 18, 2003 at 1:29 PM Post #5 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by Kieran Comito
Great Review! Thanks again. Is this amp portable enough to take on airplanes? In other words I have a headroom pouch that fits a portable cd player and another compartment for an amp, is the XP-7 small enough for something like that? One more question. Have you heard Ray's new tube preamp and if so are you going to review that one too?

I've posted a few comments about the Tube preamp in various threads. It's awesome and the build quaility is about the best I've seen from any audio components. The intro price will make it a killer bargain and it is just as good a preamp as it is a headphone amp. I'll most likely purchase the sample I get for review.

I edited my review and posted dimensions. I was able to carry it in my Headroom Traveller bag and my DVD player case.

The XP-7 has a very slightly less "open" midrange than does the HR-2 and it cannot approach the bass performance of the HR-2 when powered by batteries. It is clearly the best portable amp I have heard and truely brings home amp sound quality to the world of portable amps.

Oct 18, 2003 at 6:25 PM Post #7 of 41
OMG wanting this........it's so bad I can't sleep at night trying to find out ways to get the cash as soon as possible, aaaargh!!!

It's been said before but this forum really is evil, pure evil.
biggrin.gif

Oct 18, 2003 at 7:03 PM Post #8 of 41
thanks for your review, Fred.. i like your way of judgement.. so it makes a good read for me.
did i miss the part of which op-amps are installed in your XP-7?

i think my XP-7 is already waiting in the post office
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 18, 2003 at 7:24 PM Post #9 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by AdamZuf
thanks for your review, Fred.. i like your way of judgement.. so it makes a good read for me.
did i miss the part of which op-amps are installed in your XP-7?

i think my XP-7 is already waiting in the post office
very_evil_smiley.gif

Adam,

I am 99% sure that Fred did his review with the standard XP-7 Op Amp the AD825. Op Amp rolling takes some real time to do properly. I found their character and sound continued to change ever so slightly as they burn in. After 80-100 hours of use they really seem to stabilize. Before you change Op Amps I would give yourself a week or so of listening to what is in their so you really become familiar with the sound with a variety of music. I am looking forward to this Winter when I have fewer activities and distractions to try out some more of the seemingly endless variations that are available.

Oct 18, 2003 at 7:37 PM Post #10 of 41
of coarse
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 18, 2003 at 8:01 PM Post #12 of 41
"I hate to ask but how does this compare to the HR-2?"

Yes my question exactly. If you have a chance would you please compare the 2 units?

When will the madness end?

Mitch

Oct 18, 2003 at 8:22 PM Post #13 of 41
Tuberoller, I am just interested in hearing how you think the XP-7 compares to the Corda HA-2/PreHead. Also, too bad you didn't have a PPA around to compare it too.
frown.gif
That would have been great for me since I am looking getting the PPA quite soon. Oh well. Great review, though!

Oct 18, 2003 at 8:51 PM Post #14 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by Hiker
Tuberoller, I am just interested in hearing how you think the XP-7 compares to the Corda HA-2/PreHead. Also, too bad you didn't have a PPA around to compare it too.
frown.gif
That would have been great for me since I am looking getting the PPA quite soon. Oh well. Great review, though!

I'll have a PPA in a few days and you guys should get some solid impressions from a wide variety of members attending the meets taking place over the next few weeks. I strongly encourage you guys to get out to the meets if possible of look into having your own meet. This is still the best way to hear the gear besides doing an in-home audition. Meets are like Tupperware parties for headphone geeks.

The XP-7,HA-2 and Prehead are different flavors. I love the Prehead and feel it is the best Solid State Headamp/preamp combo going. The Meier amps offer a bit more detail in most parts of the frequency but they have superior bass extension that the XP-7 really can't match. The Prehead further seperates itself with an almost hyper-extension into the upper treble frequencies but does this music right and never sounds harsh. If you are looking for an amp with crossfeed then the XP-7 won't do for that purpose,if you are looking for crossfeed and portability only the Headroom Cosmic qualifies. Only with the AKG271 and briefly with a Sony CD3000 did I miss crossfeed while using the XP-7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back