Re-cable to balanced for headphones. Wondering if there is a standard way to go back to SE
Feb 20, 2011 at 3:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

bobfa

Head-Fier
I am in the process of re-cabling my headphones for a balanced amp and I am thinking about building an adaptor into the cable so I can do balanced or singled ended.  I would need some sort of inline connector sets to create short adaptors.  I was wondering if anyone has developed a "standard" way of doing this?  Two XLRs are bulky and a bit of a mess in portable operation.

rjf

Feb 24, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #2 of 10
I have the same dilemma and the best way is to terminate the cable in a small 4 pin xlr and then build adaptors for SE, SR71 connectors, Hirose connectors etc.  In this way, when use in portable condition, you are still dealing with a single cable.

Feb 24, 2011 at 7:57 AM Post #4 of 10
What are you going to plug the headphones into? Does it require a single 4-pin XLR or 2x 3-pin XLR plugs?

Feb 24, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #5 of 10
The headphones will be plugged into a iBasso PB2 and an RSA SR71B so i need two connectors for that and one for singled ended.

Feb 24, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #6 of 10
My ED8LE comes terminated in a single 4 pin XLR, then I have adaptors made for 4 pin xlr to a mini, 4 pins xlr to 2 x 3 pins xlr, and a 4 pins xlr to SR71b balance connector, later, I will add a 4 pins xlr to Hirose connector for the PB2.  All the cable companies around here can do that for you, Moon, ALO, Whiplash, Apuresound etc.

Feb 25, 2011 at 6:31 AM Post #7 of 10
I'm doing something a bit clever with a pair of headphones I have on order. I had someone make a cable that ends with a 4-pin mini XLR and adaptors made that convert that to a regular 3.5mm jack and others.  This is less bulky than full-sized 4-pin XLR plugs for when I am not using them with a full-sized balanced rig.  

However, a simpler solution might be to use the plugs iBasso uses. Then you can simply adapt from the iBasso plugs to the right-angled things RSA uses.

Feb 25, 2011 at 8:23 AM Post #8 of 10
That is what I was thinking about.  I have not found an inline female connector for the Hirose types iBasso uses.  (I have not looked that hard).  It would be good to have a "Head-Fi" standard so that we could all use them at meets, etc..... 

rjf

Feb 26, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
I'm doing something a bit clever with a pair of headphones I have on order. I had someone make a cable that ends with a 4-pin mini XLR and adaptors made that convert that to a regular 3.5mm jack and others.  This is less bulky than full-sized 4-pin XLR plugs for when I am not using them with a full-sized balanced rig.  

However, a simpler solution might be to use the plugs iBasso uses. Then you can simply adapt from the iBasso plugs to the right-angled things RSA uses.

That is what Drew at Moon Audio suggested to me when I was thinking how to terminate the ED8 both for home and on the road.  Unfortunately the mini XLR is a little harder to find, but you've got the right idea.  I was on the Crystal Cable site and noticed that all of their speaker cable terminate in the same way but with their own special adaptor, then the end user can choose the connectors one needs, RCA, XLR etc.  They claim there is no loss of sound quality with their setup.

Feb 26, 2011 at 4:35 AM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
That is what I was thinking about.  I have not found an inline female connector for the Hirose types iBasso uses.  (I have not looked that hard).  It would be good to have a "Head-Fi" standard so that we could all use them at meets, etc..... 

rjf

The female balanced connector for pb1 is HR10A-7R-6S . If pb1 and pb2 has the same type of plug than you should search for that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back