Reading into headphone graphs/choosing next HP
Jan 3, 2013 at 3:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Bonobo

Head-Fier
I'm trying to learn to read into headphone graphs as I'm in the market for a new headphone (portable or full size) and I don't have a means of listening to a possible candidate nearby.

I just made a comparison between the 3 headphones I own (D1001, D5000, HD25-1 II) with the song from The Knife: Heartbeats through my Fiio E7 (will be replaced, I just ordered an EHP-O2).
Also, I made this headphone graph: 

I like my HD25 best. I don't know the right words to describe it, but it is to me the most engaging headphone. According to the graph, the D5000 should give more bass. But to me everything is more forward/upfront on the HD25, clearly so. Is this because of the smaller soundstage or something else?

Possible candidates I'm looking into (but not exclusively, any other suggestion is appreciated):

-Sennheiser HD650 (most interested, as I like what I read about them and also judging from this graph would be a good upgrade)
-Hifiman HE-400
-Grado SR225 or other
-Beyerdynamic DT990 / Ultrasone Pro 900 or 2900
-Beyerdynamic DT1350

So, it would be nice if somebody can explain to me why I like this 'forwardness' of sound from the HD25 the best and can suggest other headphones (preferably a step forward).

Jan 4, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #3 of 4

So, it would be nice if somebody can explain to me why I like this 'forwardness' of sound from the HD25 the best and can suggest other headphones (preferably a step forward).

I'd like to but it's kind of like explaining to you why you like certain foods.  It's what YOU like.

Amazon has a pretty liberal return policy.  You might think about using it.

Grados are considered forward.

Graphs are interesting as you have found out.  They really don't tell you enough about the way a headphone sounds to make a purchase based solely on that.

Maybe(!) someone can suggest an HD25 on steroids for you.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back