Recabling and mic addition for a Senn HD 555?
Jul 2, 2013 at 10:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

kennyj

New Head-Fier
I'm considering adding a microphone to, and also recabling (because while I'm drilling holes, why not) my HD 555.  I was thinking I'd put two 3.5mm jacks on each side, and connecting the front pair together as a pass-through using the existing internal wire.  Each channel as well as the mic connect with a single 3.5mm audio plug; the mic connects to its cable through the headset's internal wiring.  The idea is that I won't have three jacks, two wires AND a boom mic all on one side of my head.  An added bonus that I can easily swap out the cables and the mic at any time, even build different cables for different purposes/occasions.

First, any ideas about this approach - am I being silly?  Should I just hardwire the drivers and the mic jack? Or, perhaps build a cable using a TRRS connector with both drivers and the mic included in a single cable, and keep the internal wiring otherwise intact as with some other mods that are floating around?

I'm going to base it off existing mods I've been able to find; I have one of those "laptop mics" already, although mine is a straight plug from a GE headset.  I was thinking about maybe even modding an inexpensive standalone boom mic instead, if anyone has any good suggestions for one, but I suppose that would stray more into non-removable territory.  The Plantronics 300 3.5mm sounded like it had potential based on its "monitor mount" option, but I couldn't find much information about it.

Jul 2, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #2 of 2
Okay, so I got some 24AWG silver-coated copper teflon wire, a white nylon sleeve to go over it, some fairly generic looking 3.5mm mono jacks, and those gold-plated screw-apart plugs in both 3.5mm and 6.3mm to do each end (the "better" kind that Rat Shack usually sells, better relative to their cheaper stock.)  Should I reserve this stuff for another project and order some neutrik plugs and mogami cable like everyone else is apparently doing, or should this be even a small improvement over stock?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back