Recabling made sound worse - possible error?
Feb 12, 2019 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Alku

New Head-Fier
Hello,

Recently i came in possesion of HD681's and liking the sound, i decided to see if i could improve it with some simple mods, one of which being replacing the yanky wires leading to the driver with something more substantial.
Using a van damme starquad cable, it has 4 conductors inside, so i came to the idea i should use 2 conductors per terminal (i guess giving the current effectively twice the wire to travel trough, so half the resistance).

cans.jpg
(Excuse the poor soldering, it has been soldered and unsoldered like 5 times)
here's also the scheme, just so we're on the same page
scheme.png

Immediately upon completing this i noticed the sound changed drastically, and not necessarily for the better. The soundstage is gone and it sounds like everything is coming from one spot, like its all somewhere in the middle. The highs seem even harsher and more distorted.

I was confuzzled, I cant explain it in any other way but maybe the two wires somehow make it interfere with each other? So i tried unsoldering one of the wires (that is why one is unsoldered from each terminal on the headphones on the photo), to make it effectively single wire. However this didnt help either. i asked myself if this is only placebo, but there definitely seems to be something off with it. I didnt even replace the main cable yet, and im questioning if i should if it will only make it worse.
Did i make a rookie mistake somewhere, or is this headphone supposed to use cheap china wire it comes with to sound better than with a quality wire?

Thank you for reading, any advice is appreciated

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019 at 9:00 PM Post #2 of 3
I'm afraid the only way to see if something is broke is to place it back to the way it was and see if the sound goes back to normal.

If it still sounds bad then I suspect you damaged or melted the speaker while heating the solder and it now does not move correctly to sound right. You did say you melted the solder like 5 times.

I hope they are ok. I just did the same thing on some old headphones ear to ear with new wire and it came out good not super great.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back