Recently Bought the AKG Q701'S, I should have dipped my feet into the pond first, not jumped right in it.
Jan 6, 2013 at 12:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Elliott97

New Head-Fier
Hello fellow audiophiles, Recently I have been into music, well I have always loved music and after a year with my Reloop RHP 20's (Great headphones btw, amazing sound for 150$)
I have decided to shoot for the stars and pick up a pair of AKG Q701'S. I thought I understood that this kind of headphone would require an  Soundcard upgrade, or so I thought. Now, I have jumped into a new world of DAC, AMPS etc.... Well, it seems these babies are quite quiet on my Desktop and Laptop. and Now was wondering what I need. If you could kindly do so, explain to me the point of a DAC and AMP so i fully understand the need for both, aswell any good recommendations? Do I need BOTH? I have am getting an IPHONE 5 tomorrow which for sure wont be able to power these things, but anyways.. I will probably keep my Reloops for portable use but I would love to know a good combination for these things, I love them... Just I feel like it's a waste not to use them to there full potential!
Preferred budget -200$>
Max budget - 300$
Thanks :') I apologize... I will test the waters next time XD.

Jan 6, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #2 of 6
Get a Matrix m-Stage, and proceed to burn in the headphones for at least a month straight to improve their sound. Use the dac from your soundcard til you feel like upgrading that as well. Amping the K702 can be a nightmare for many amps-the m-Stage, Lyr, or Burson amps are well known synergistic matches. Only the m-Stage falls within your budget, and gets you most of the way there.  Good luck...and burn those in, haters be damned.

-Daniel 

Jan 6, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #3 of 6
There are a lot of amplifiers that will properly run a Q701, it's just finding one with good synergy for such a touchy headphone.

You need an amplifier for it for sure, highly recommend you get a DAC as well given it's such a revealing headphone. An amplifier provides the headphone with the power it requires to function at its potential, it would be the equivalent of trying to run your PC components without having adequate power supply. Adding a DAC will improve the sound quality of the audio you're pushing through your headphones, I guess the easiest way to explain it is basically it's a really good upgraded external sound card. I'd definitely get both if I were you.

I'm not going to suggest any specifics though as I've not had a lot of experience with the Q701. I'd hate to point you toward something that completely contradicts their sound signature.

Jan 6, 2013 at 1:08 AM Post #4 of 6
are you sure I need the Matrix M stage? It says it powers the headphones of up to 600 ohms... Mines only needs 62 ohms :xf_eek:? am I missing something?
Specs:
  1. Manufacturer Warranty: 2 years
  2. Connector Type: 1/8
  3. Weight: 235 grams w/o cord
  4. Isolation: -10dB ~ -12dB
  5. Impedance @ 1kHz: 62 Ohms
  6. Detachable Cable: Yes
  7. Cord Length: 9ft
  8. Cord Type: Straight Left-Side
  9. Headphone Type: Full Size
  10. Coupler Size: Large
  11. Ear Coupler Type: Full-Size
  12. Driver Type: Dynamic
  13. Acoustic Seal: Semi-Open
  14. Sensitivity: 105 dB

Matrix M stage:
·         New 2012 version with upgraded power transformer and redesigned circuit
·         Powerful output that can drive high impedance headphones (up to 600 Ω) <-------- 600 O.O
·         High quality components including ALPS VR, Nichicon caps, OPA2134 Op-Amps, etc
·         2 sets of line inputs selectable on the front panel
·         Can be used as a pre-amp with the line output on the back panel
·         Gain selectors can set 0, 10, 18 and 20 dB gains
·         Solid build with aluminum faceplate and steel case
·         Fully dynamic and well balanced sound on a dead quiet background
Specifications
Output Power: 200 mW / 300 Ω, 400 mW / 60 Ω
Input Impedance: 47 kΩ
Output Impedance: Line out 60 Ω, headphone out 5 Ω
Frequency Response: 10 Hz (-0.3dB) - 35 KHz (-1 dB)
Signal / Noise Ratio: >95 dB @ 0 dB
Distortion: <0.001 % (6 mW / 300 Ω)
Power Requirements
Power: AC 220-240V 50

Jan 6, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #6 of 6
Search the big m-Stage thread and you'll find tons of positive feedback regarding this pairing. In fact this was the combo, along with a uDac, that got me addicted to this hobby, and made me appreciate the amp/dac importance for hard to drive/finnicky headphones. Like Gnome said, it's a picky headphones-and the m-Stage is just the ticket in your price range-and this is from firsthand experience. There is also an m-Stage with a built-in usb dac, but I didn't own that one so I can't comment on the dac quality. I do feel that the m-Stage is the absolute best amp for the K702 (and probably by extension, the Q-series) that can be had for under $400-and I tried a LOT of amps in that range. Not sure how the newer FOTMs (Schiit Magni etc, O2) fare though as I haven't heard them.

-Daniel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back