Recommend me a closed back foldable headphones
Aug 8, 2019 at 6:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

androidodo

New Head-Fier
What's up, guys?
I need a headphones to travel with, but suitable for audio works (mixing, editing) as well. So, DJ cans or gaming headphones are not an option. Preferably in a higher end of the line compared to my MDR-V6 and AKG k240. It should be a closed back design and must be foldable.
My initial choices are: HD380 Pro, Shure SRH940, or ATH M70x. I tried the M50 and M50x, but don't like the excessive bass on them. The M70x are supposed to be more flat/neutral.
Does anyone has experiences with them? I'm open to other recommendations.

Best~

Aug 8, 2019 at 8:20 AM Post #4 of 14
ATH M40X is actually a M50X without the bass IMO. It is cheaper also. Have u tried it?
M40X is extremely neutral and very ideal for studio work to hear what the artiste intended.
But i personally find it boring to listen to music with it. Isolation is above average. The pads for M50X I heard are a bit different from the M40X and the M40X is quite uncomfortable for me after long listening sessions (I wear specs).

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #6 of 14
What's up, guys?
I need a headphones to travel with, but suitable for audio works (mixing, editing) as well. So, DJ cans or gaming headphones are not an option. Preferably in a higher end of the line compared to my MDR-V6 and AKG k240. It should be a closed back design and must be foldable.
My initial choices are: HD380 Pro, Shure SRH940, or ATH M70x. I tried the M50 and M50x, but don't like the excessive bass on them. The M70x are supposed to be more flat/neutral.
Does anyone has experiences with them? I'm open to other recommendations. Best~
For audio production (creating, mixing, editing, etc), why not just keep using the Sony MDR-V6?

Aug 8, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #7 of 14
Budget?

Aug 9, 2019 at 7:45 AM Post #9 of 14
Focal Listen Professional
Sony MDR7506 Professional
Sony MDR7510 Professional
BeyerDynamic DT990 (dont fold though.. :frowning2: )

Aug 9, 2019 at 9:02 PM Post #12 of 14
I'm keeping the V6, but I have reasons to get a new pair of headphones :smile_phones:
USD 200-250. Used cans are okay.
Audio Technica ATH-ESW9 headphones, sometimes used ones are sold on Ebay.

Aug 9, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #13 of 14
The M70x are supposed to be more flat/neutral.
Does anyone has experiences with them? I'm open to other recommendations.

Best~

M70x indeed have flatter bass than 50x, good bass IMO if you can get a seal. However they are quite bright in the treble. I'm not a mixer but IMO sort of 'over-detailed' . Also IIRC they fold flat, but not inward (this is how the case was arranged at least).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back