Recommend me a good Unix book.
Aug 24, 2007 at 3:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

AuroraProject

Headphoneus Supremus
I want to learn Unix, so I'm looking for some good book recommendations. I want something that starts with the basics and gets fairly in depth, unless that requires 2 books, which is ok too.

Give me some good ones! Thanks.

Aug 24, 2007 at 4:29 AM Post #2 of 10
Is it all text type Unix or Linux?
I assume it is good old text type Unix, and... let me recall... I used to read a book from O'relly. Can not remember exact title though, Tech books from O'relly are usually quite good, covers basics and depth at the same time. I am sure someone else will recommand you a nice book or two, but I want you to check those books from that company in your local bookstore and see for yourself if its for you or not. Good luck with that.

Aug 24, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #4 of 10
oreillyowl6dx.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist.

That's all I got. Sorry I couldn't help.

Aug 24, 2007 at 4:49 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Text only for now please. I'll check into O'Relly.

Edit: O'Relly didn't get me very far, but O'Reilly has a nice Unix collection!

+1 I've always looked for O'Reilly books for Unix/Linux, Networking, Programing books.

Aug 24, 2007 at 6:56 AM Post #7 of 10
Believe it or not, the "UNIX for Dummies" book is actually pretty good. The UNIX book I wish I had when I was starting out is "The UNIX Programming Environment" by Kernighan & Pike.

Aug 24, 2007 at 11:41 AM Post #8 of 10
I learned UNIX by getting Linux, a "linux bible" and trying to make it work. At the time there was an O'Reilly book called Learning Red Hat Linux that helped a lot too.

Google "linux how-to" and you'll find articles on how to do damn-near everything on linux.

GAD

Aug 25, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by majid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Believe it or not, the "UNIX for Dummies" book is actually pretty good. The UNIX book I wish I had when I was starting out is "The UNIX Programming Environment" by Kernighan & Pike.

x2 on the UNIX for Dummies. It's the only tech book that I didn't want to put down. It's incredibly funny. It's a good intro. It's what I started with. It's a decent reference for the basic stuff, and the first place I look for answers. Unfortunately, I don't always find the answer in it. My other Unix books are at work, so I don't know off the top of my head which ones I have. I think I have a O'Reily Nutshell book, but I could be wrong. The other books I have, you need to know what you're looking for to find it, which is not great for me since I'm only an occasional user of Unix.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I learned UNIX by getting Linux, a "linux bible" and trying to make it work. At the time there was an O'Reilly book called Learning Red Hat Linux that helped a lot too.

Google "linux how-to" and you'll find articles on how to do damn-near everything on linux.

GAD

The first time I encountered Unix was in the early 80s. The next time, I tried the method suggested by GAD. At the time, Borders had 3 Linux books. I picked a SAMMS book if I recall correctly. I think the author or editor used Word to write the book, or at least some word processor that had auto correct turned on. If a command started a sentence, it was capitalized.
blink.gif
blink.gif
as well as things like misspelled commands being added to the dictionary. I spent a very frustrating 2 weeks trying to get it to work. I got the basic command line up pretty quick, but X was pretty bad.

It should be a lot easier now.
biggrin.gif
It would be a lot easier for me now since I work with a lot of Unix geeks. Then, I was the senior Unix geek with all of 4 months experience on workstations doing word processing with nroff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back