Recommend me a portable headphone amp!
May 16, 2022 at 2:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Gabbbbbbbbbbbb

Head-Fier
Hello!

I'm looking for a budget portable headphone amp to drive my HD600s sufficiently well. Something at or below the $100 range, I don't need perfection, just enough power to properly deal with the 500ohm impedance peak these have in the mid bass at normal listening volumes.

I've been thinking about either getting a used Fiio A5, or biting the bullet and having a shot at building an O2 & using it battery powered. Is there something else worth considering? Perhaps something that can be powered by power bank?

Last edited:
May 16, 2022 at 2:59 AM Post #2 of 12
Schiit Magni 3 +

May 16, 2022 at 4:15 AM Post #4 of 12
Sorry. Portable... what about a used Creative E5

May 16, 2022 at 6:09 AM Post #5 of 12
No portable amp for 100 dollars is going to be ok with HD 600s. Not sure there is even something at any price.

May 16, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #6 of 12
Last edited:
May 16, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #7 of 12
With a $100 budget I would also be looking in the classified ads. There are usually great deals and feel you end up with a better sounding device compared to buying new.

Last edited:
May 18, 2022 at 5:42 AM Post #10 of 12
Hello!

I'm looking for a budget portable headphone amp to drive my HD600s sufficiently well. Something at or below the $100 range, I don't need perfection, just enough power to properly deal with the 500ohm impedance peak these have in the mid bass at normal listening volumes.

I've been thinking about either getting a used Fiio A5, or biting the bullet and having a shot at building an O2 & using it battery powered. Is there something else worth considering? Perhaps something that can be powered by power bank?
As @earmonger already said, Megatron from Venture Electronics is worth looking into.

I guess another option you could look into is E1DA (company).

Edit: Since you are searching for such a low-budget amp, you will really have to dig for the underground companies that make low-budget-high-performance products.

Last edited:
May 18, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #11 of 12
Hello!

Something like a FiiO E12, E12A, or A5 would work perfectly. Even a CMoy should be sufficient. I've happily used the E12A— which is the older, less powerful A5— and a JDS CMoyBB with my HD 650 (same impedance, somewhat more sensitive than HD 600).
If you decide to buy a used portable amp, make sure the battery is either in good condition or that it can be replaced with relative ease.

May 18, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #12 of 12
Get a 2.5mm balanced cable and a Radsone EarStudio ES100 MK2. It runs my 6XX’s without a problem and has a really nice app with 10 band EQ and ambient sound control for mobile use and takes calls. Really small as well with a good 12 hours of play time single ended haven’t used balanced all day so not for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back