Recommendation for a good reliable IEM
Feb 11, 2012 at 4:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Christo4

100+ Head-Fier
Hello guys!

Can you recommend me a pair of good, reliable IEM's?

I have an old pair of around-the-ear(sport-like) Pioneer headphones that i can still use today after more than 4 years (back then i didn't know much about headphones). The sound isn't very good, no bass, distorted highs, but i always know that they won't break when i commute or travel (4 hours on the bus get pretty boring pretty fast...). 

After searching these forums i am a little afraid of purchasing a pair of IEM's. Some monitors that are 5 times or more than my old pair fail after a few moths or even weeks... So pretty much this is the reason why I'm making this thread, i don't want a pair of headphones that will fail me just when i need them the most. I realise that sometimes it's about luck, but on my pioneers i haven't been that gentle, i haven't packed them nicely(their always tangled) and still they lasted for a very long time.

I will also post a little about the type of sound that i like.
I right now own a pair of Sennheise HD 380 Pro and an older HD 570. I also had a pair of Senn HD 558, Audio-Technica SJ33 and Jays T-Jays three.
The sound that i like the most is from my Senn HD 380 Pro. Pretty good bass (although it could use a little more), very nice mids and crystal clear highs(the sound of a violin or cello is just perfect on these, no distorsion and very clear).
Now the Sennheisers HD 558, the Jays T-Jays and the SJ33 both had a problem(which is why i returned/sold them). I don't know if it's a problem with my ears, but sometimes when rendering highs they all hurt my ears. The pain is similar to the scratching sound of a chalk/fingernail on a blackboard. Maybe edgy or grainy i think are the words to describe it.

My ears are rather small but if i didn't have problem with the jays i don't think i will have with other IEM's. I would like to be able to wear the IEM around the ear. I would like them to be comfortable since I'm not very used to in-ear headphones.

Also my budget is around 50 pounds. 

Please help.

Feb 12, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #3 of 3
VSonic GR06 sounds lush and fun as compared to Brainwavz M1 or Soundmagic E30. GR06 has nice soundstage , quite airy and spacious. A bit mid centric. The package comes with many stock tips! If u want worn over the ear style iem and below 50 pounds, Vsonic GR06 is great value for money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back