Recommendation for trying to find my perfect headphone :)
Aug 23, 2015 at 7:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

bclark8923

500+ Head-Fier
Hey All,

I currently have a HiFiMAN HE560 running through a Lyr 1 and Gungnir Multibit. I have the Cavalli liquid carbon on the way as well.

I LOVE this headphone but the only problem is the bass can be a bit lacking. I loved the TH900 but found the V to be a bit too recessed mids and the highs a bit much but loved the bass.

Does anyone have a recommendation for headphones under $1500 that have a similar sound to the HE560 but with more bass?

Thanks!

Aug 23, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #3 of 10
  To save yourself a good deal of money and trouble, you could simply boost the bass with EQ.

Thanks for the rec!

I have actually done that for some of my sources, I listen to a lot of Tidal and that's on their to add list but not out yet.

The EQ works a better but the sub-bass is still not as present as I'd like

Aug 23, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #4 of 10
  Thanks for the rec!

I have actually done that for some of my sources, I listen to a lot of Tidal and that's on their to add list but not out yet.

The EQ works a better but the sub-bass is still not as present as I'd like

If you use a parametric equalizer, you can boost specific frequencies, including sub-bass. (It's just that you said you like the sound of your headphones, but just want more bass, so this is the easiest course of action.)

Equalizer APO (with Peace GUI) can apply the EQ to your entire system as well.

Aug 23, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #5 of 10
Maybe try an HE6 and mess around with modding it. IMO it can trounce the HD800 and LCD3-it has a physicality to the sound that I haven't heard in any other headphone. The bass is also very, impactful and visceral. I haven't heard it on the Lyr though, but the specs seem adequate (6W into 50 ohms, correct?)

Aug 23, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #7 of 10
  Maybe try an HE6 and mess around with modding it. IMO it can trounce the HD800 and LCD3-it has a physicality to the sound that I haven't heard in any other headphone. The bass is also very, impactful and visceral. I haven't heard it on the Lyr though, but the specs seem adequate (6W into 50 ohms, correct?)

I was actually going to mention the HE6, but it doesn't sound its best from normal headphone amps. I even heard it from a MOON Neo 430HA (which has like 8W into 50 ohms or something like that), and it sounded kinda lifeless, without any of the visceral sound everyone talks about. Most of the serious HE6 owners use high-end speaker amps with it and say that it sounds significantly better from those amps than from conventional headphone amps. My guess is that it requires more current than most headphone amps provide, even when there's more than enough power to get plenty of volume. Anyway...my reason for not mentioning the HE6 is that amping it properly can be a challenge.

Aug 23, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #8 of 10

If you use a parametric equalizer, you can boost specific frequencies, including sub-bass. (It's just that you said you like the sound of your headphones, but just want more bass, so this is the easiest course of action.)

Equalizer APO (with Peace GUI) can apply the EQ to your entire system as well.

Ah so I have a Mac, do you know of a good Parametric EQ systemwide for that?

Aug 23, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #10 of 10
The LCD-X is said by others (not me) to be the most V-shaped out of the Audeze lineup. I think it's wonderfully between neutral and natural and well extended. The subbass is crisp and snappy on it :). Maybe a used pair?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back