Recommendation from vintage AKG K340 owners (present and past)
Jun 25, 2012 at 4:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

pentatonic

100+ Head-Fier
These are the phones I've been using for ever it seems and really like the sound quality and signature of these (neutral version). But they are quite big and are a bit too warm the wear for long in summer.

So, with that in mind what would be a decent headphone that would sound similar and be very comfortable. I don't like IEMs or buds. I've never really tried on-ear but am willing. I don't need a closed phone.

Budget? Depends but I always like to look at what is considered the best bang for the $. So if I can find at around $250 I'd be happy.

Jun 25, 2012 at 6:21 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:
Maybe K501, K601 or K240 Sextett's

Your avatar is my guitar hero :wink:

Actually I was thinking maybe something different after all. My K340 shine in jazz, classical, vocal, piano, but maybe not as much with rock and progressive. I like my music crisp, tight but airy soundstage wise. Not a basshead, like my bass fast, detailed but not overwhelming. Mids and highs have to be of same quality but could have a different sound after all. 

So after all what would be a good pair of cans for mostly rock, prog and metal

Jun 25, 2012 at 7:34 AM Post #4 of 8
Maybe HD600, but I  never tried them myself. There are some Ultrasone models around that seem to have the quality you looking for, but I am not sure which one either, sorry:)

Its easy to recommend Grado for rock, but they dont have enough air, most are punchy with guitars and not neutral, so, thats why I stick with AKG mostely, cos they have that soundstaging that many dont, however if you try some SR225 or SR80 at least, you may like them after all and they dont cost an fortune. I wouldnt recommend to go higher than that, its pointless and will be above your budget anyway. The Alessandro models from Grado are more neutral, to start with their MS 2  or even better MS PRO, but than again, MS PRO are not cheap and MS 2 have metal cups, which can cause some issues with comfort, but their MS 1 model seem to be very regarded for many years and cost not much at all.

I think, if you can pass soundstaging and push your budget, MS PRO will fit your needs better than anything, they are neutral and very good with music you like. They are also pretty light weight, but I recommend you to buy used, if you dont mind of course.

Jun 25, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #5 of 8
I was reading up on the D2000, seems very interesting. Those Grado seem also to pop up for rock often. My biggest prolem is finding a dealer that carries some to audition. 

What about B&W phones?

Jun 25, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
I was reading up on the D2000, seems very interesting. Those Grado seem also to pop up for rock often. My biggest prolem is finding a dealer that carries some to audition. 

What about B&W phones?

Doubt the Denon D2000's will fit you. They have recessed mids, reportedly bright highs (sometimes sibilant, depending on the person) and the bass can be a bit loose and slow at times. They do have a very nice, large soundstage, however, as they don't seal properly, so they're more like a semi-open can.

Jun 25, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #7 of 8
As I already wrote, there are not that many neutral hp's for rock that fit to your taste within your budget. I owned  MS PRO and they are great for rock and they are neutral, but if you want Denons or else, I am not sure, sorry. I would check their basic model MS1 first:)

Quote:

What about B&W phones?

Jun 25, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
Doubt the Denon D2000's will fit you. They have recessed mids, reportedly bright highs (sometimes sibilant, depending on the person) and the bass can be a bit loose and slow at times. They do have a very nice, large soundstage, however, as they don't seal properly, so they're more like a semi-open can.

From what you just said I'll forget them. Don't like bright highs.

Maybe I should define what exactly I want soundwise and post in the recommendation thread, hadn't seen that one.

But what I like are

Solid fast tight bass
Lush (velvety) mids with vocals up front. Not aggressive though
Well defines but darker highs
For this pair I wouldn't mind having  a more "clinical sound"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back