Recommendations for a sub-$200 amp to use with AKG K712 Pro headphones on both PC and Xbox One?
Dec 19, 2017 at 3:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

dillydadally

New Head-Fier
Hi all! Brand new to the whole audiophile thing and just spent a ridiculous amount of time learning about headphones and what makes a quality headphone. In the end, I ordered a pair of AKG K712 Pro's as my first higher end headphones! I chose them because although I want a good all around general set of cans for music and such, I play a lot of games and am excited for the K712's soundstage.

Anyway, after 2 weeks of agonizing research and feeling great that I finally settled on a set of headphones, I was dismayed to realize I still needed an amp, and after all that research, I am still completely clueless as to what makes a good amp (just reading through the materials on here now trying to learn).

I was hoping someone could give me some suggestions for the best amp for my needs. I'm looking for:
  • Something under $200, preferably something closer to $100 but can go up to $200 if it will noticeably improve things
  • Would like to use it with both my PC and my Xbox One (is this even possible?)
  • My PC and Xbox One are right next to each other and the amp will just sit on my desk. In other words, portability is not an issue for me.
  • Something that works well with AKG K712 pro headphones
  • I am also looking to buy some decent PC speakers (looking at a pair of Klipsch ProMedia 2.1). Would I hook these up to my amp too?
  • Do I need anything other than the amp? (i.e. a separate DAC perhaps?)
Any advice for me?

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #2 of 10
I think consoles use optical outputs for that sort of thing so what I would do is buy a Schiit Magni 3 and a used Modi 2 Uber or any other DAC that people recommend with optical inputs. The Magni 3 is an easy pick at 100 bucks and is the best amp at that price. I believe it also has pre-outs for powered speakers. But I'm certain you'll need a dac to go between the console and the amp.

Dec 19, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #3 of 10
I am inclined to agree that for around your price range a Modi 2 Uber + Magni 3 is the best bet, it will really open up the K712, try and get the more expensive one (Modi 2 Uber) used.

Dec 19, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #4 of 10
Thanks for the recommendations guys!

As for the Xbox One, I'm not sure about an optical port. I was thinking of using the 3.5mm 3-ring plug on the controller, combined with a cheap microphone plugged into a splitter like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Kingtop-Adap...1513722609&sr=8-4&keywords=3.5mm+mic+splitter

Is that an option or would the optical port in the back of the xbox be better? It seems that no matter what I need to plug my mic into the controller anyway.

Dec 19, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #5 of 10
Thanks for the recommendations guys!

As for the Xbox One, I'm not sure about an optical port. I was thinking of using the 3.5mm 3-ring plug on the controller, combined with a cheap microphone plugged into a splitter like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Kingtop-Adap...1513722609&sr=8-4&keywords=3.5mm+mic+splitter

Is that an option or would the optical port in the back of the xbox be better? It seems that no matter what I need to plug my mic into the controller anyway.
No that's not a good idea, the K712 is a very hard headphone to push properly and plugging it into the controller is wasting its true potential. You need proper power for the K712 like an actual amplifier like the Magni 3.

Connect the Xbox One to the DAC via an Optical Toslink cable. If you use Dolby Atmos for Headphones you'll still get it over an Optical connection to the DAC. Then all that's left to do is just plugging your mic into the controller.

Dec 20, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #6 of 10
Unfortunately, I cannot find the modi 2 uber for sale anywhere, new or used. Apparently, they are a popular DAC!

After rearranging my budget, I've also decided that I can go as high as like $330 if necessary.

I sure appreciate the help so far. Does anyone have any further suggestions? I saw the JDS Labs Objective 2 come highly recommended in the sub-$200 shootout thread. Would that or the Magni 3 be better? Or would something else be better now that I've raised my budget to up to $330?

Dec 20, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #7 of 10
The Objective2 does not have the Optical input that you require for the Xbox One, instead of that you can get the JDS Labs OL DAC and the Objective2. The OL DAC is a DAC that can be customised on JDS Lab's website to have both USB and Optical inputs and the Objective2 is an amplifier that has plenty of power for a K712. Also they are 2 separate units of the exact same dimensions so just like a Schiit Stack they can be stacked too and they look very nice.

Here's an image of how they would look: https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-qjE8tOdv...tlu0WhQreo-OQMmOFN2WrwCLcB/s1600/_DML6675.jpg

Dec 20, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #8 of 10
This is the most asked question here in Head-Fi, and the easiest answer, but do not worry because your problems are over.
500x1000px-LL-f470dc91_15967325_1159803980794035_1310405240_o.jpeg

But I recommend that you extend this amount a bit and buy the Modi 2U, preferably the Multibit because of the coaxial and optical inputs.

Dec 20, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #9 of 10
Thank you all! I finally found out I could still order the Modi 2 Uber on Schitt's website, it's just back ordered so I'd have to wait a while. I have just one final question.

I'm either going to go with the Schitt stack you guys have recommended or stretch for an audio-gd R2R-11. I've done a ton of research in the last 24 hours and have heard a lot of people say that the R2R-11 (and the nfb-11) are a little more expensive but just one level above the Schitt stack. I'm leaning towards future proofing by getting the R2R-11. Does this sound like a good idea and would it work just as well as the Schitt stack to drive my powered speakers on PC and my headphones both on my PC and my Xbox One?

Dec 20, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #10 of 10
Thank you all! I finally found out I could still order the Modi 2 Uber on Schitt's website, it's just back ordered so I'd have to wait a while. I have just one final question.

I'm either going to go with the Schitt stack you guys have recommended or stretch for an audio-gd R2R-11. I've done a ton of research in the last 24 hours and have heard a lot of people say that the R2R-11 (and the nfb-11) are a little more expensive but just one level above the Schitt stack. I'm leaning towards future proofing by getting the R2R-11. Does this sound like a good idea and would it work just as well as the Schitt stack to drive my powered speakers on PC and my headphones both on my PC and my Xbox One?
I would also like to see a comparison between the two, but this comparison would only be fair if it were with Magni 3 and Modi Multibit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back