Recommendations for Gaming headphone and DAC/AMP for HD 6XX
Jan 20, 2019 at 2:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

projection903

New Head-Fier
Looking for a new pair of gaming headphones (maybe for music as well) and a DAC/AMP for the HD 6XX and the new headphones for gaming. I want headphones that are good for FPS games (such as BFV, counterstrike, etc). After some research, the HD660S and Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro are the top contenders.

So my first question is:
1. Out of these 2, which pair of headphones is better, or is there another alternative you would recommend.

Current gear:
FX AUDIO DAC-X6 and HD 6XX

The DAC is connected via USB to my Dell G5 5587 laptop (I think it has a Realtek soundcard). I want to upgrade my setup so that I have a DAC/AMP, HD 6XX for music since they are crap for gaming, and another pair of headphones for gaming and maybe music. The Schiit Jotunheim seems the best, however, I'm not sure what module/card option I should get: multibit or balanced DAC?

Second question:
2. Should I go for the Schiit Jotunheim, or are there better alternative DAC, AMP, or DAC/AMP recommendations? And if the Jotunheim is the one, which DAC should I get?

Third question:
3. I also read about getting balanced cables for HD 6XX, are they worth getting and if so do you have any recommendations?

I want this to be my end-game setup or last me quite a while. I am open to getting a completely different setup than the one I have listed, but prefer to buy new rather than used gear. I mostly listen to classical, electronic, and pop.

Budget: I am willing to spend around the cost of the DT1990 Pro and Jotunheim with a DAC which is around £399+420+(160) = £979 (taken from Amazon and their website). I can wait until Black Friday or Cyber Monday for better prices.

My top priority right now is getting a new gaming headphone. The DAC/AMP can be bought when there is a better deal.

Jan 21, 2019 at 3:45 AM Post #2 of 5
Hi. I've recently bought the HD660s. To buy these I've been influenced by reviews of Zeos (he called them "little baby stax" in terms of imaging for FPS competitive games) & metal571 (he said it's slightly brighter, more resolving than HD600 while maintains mostly other qualities of it). HD660s really sounded similar to my ath-msr7 in terms of mids and highs, but msr7 is clearer for my ears, every detail in music is just better "outlined". For online fps gaming, these are really good, because their specs help me play longer with comfort (open back design -> less heating, their sound -> I can hear footsteps in csgo with much lower volume settings than with hd598). I'm a bit confused after reading this post where man says that imaging on hd660s and hd650 (with new pads!) is nearly identical and Zeos probably tested them with old pads, which is wrong.
For now, I think the best blind pick is to buy used hd800 (more correct, but with probably fatiguing 6kHz peak) or hd800s(more bass distortion, but without 6kHz peak) just because of their superb soundstage and imaging as many people say. I suppose they'll be the best set of cans for overall gaming experience.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2019 at 3:18 AM Post #3 of 5
Looking for a new pair of gaming headphones (maybe for music as well) and a DAC/AMP for the HD 6XX and the new headphones for gaming. I want headphones that are good for FPS games (such as BFV, counterstrike, etc). After some research, the HD660S and Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro are the top contenders.
So my first question is: 1. Out of these 2, which pair of headphones is better, or is there another alternative you would recommend.
Current gear: FX AUDIO DAC-X6 and HD 6XX
The DAC is connected via USB to my Dell G5 5587 laptop (I think it has a Realtek sound card). I want to upgrade my setup so that I have a DAC/AMP, HD 6XX for music since they are crap for gaming, and another pair of headphones for gaming and maybe music. The Schiit Jotunheim seems the best, however, I'm not sure what module/card option I should get: multibit or balanced DAC?
Second question: 2. Should I go for the Schiit Jotunheim, or are there better alternative DAC, AMP, or DAC/AMP recommendations? And if the Jotunheim is the one, which DAC should I get?
Third question: 3. I also read about getting balanced cables for HD 6XX, are they worth getting and if so do you have any recommendations?
I want this to be my end-game setup or last me quite a while. I am open to getting a completely different setup than the one I have listed, but prefer to buy new rather than used gear. I mostly listen to classical, electronic, and pop.
Budget: I am willing to spend around the cost of the DT1990 Pro and Jotunheim with a DAC which is around £399+420+(160) = £979 (taken from Amazon and their website). I can wait until Black Friday or Cyber Monday for better prices.
My top priority right now is getting a new gaming headphone. The DAC/AMP can be bought when there is a better deal.

As your using USB, you appear to be gaming in stereo audio, not headphone surround sound.

As your FX Audio DAC X6 comes with line-output (RCA) jacks.
For the 300-Ohm HD6XX, you could get a Darkvoice 336SE OTL tube headphone amplifier, connect the 336SE to the DAC X6.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/dark-voice-366se

Headphones for FPS gaming Audio Technica ATH-AD700X or Sennheiser HD598.
But as you appear to be gaming in stereo audio, not sure how much switching headphone would help?

Jan 22, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #4 of 5
As your using USB, you appear to be gaming in stereo audio, not headphone surround sound.

As your FX Audio DAC X6 comes with line-output (RCA) jacks.
For the 300-Ohm HD6XX, you could get a Darkvoice 336SE OTL tube headphone amplifier, connect the 336SE to the DAC X6.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/dark-voice-366se

Headphones for FPS gaming Audio Technica ATH-AD700X or Sennheiser HD598.
But as you appear to be gaming in stereo audio, not sure how much switching headphone would help?

Right now I'm looking to buy the Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pro since I don't mind paying for it, would you still recommend getting the ATH-AD700X instead?

Regarding the DarkVoice 336SE, the majority say to get new tubes like the Shuguang Treasure CV181-Z and Tung-Sol 6AS7.
https://www.thetubestore.com/shuguang-treasure-cv181-z
https://www.ebay.com/p/Tung-Sol-6AS...iid=312071881729&_trksid=p2047675.m4097.l9055

Would you recommend these replacements or are there better alternatives?

In terms of durability, how long do these last for? Is it necessary to replace the tubes annually?

Finally, do you have any other non-tube Amps you would recommend?

Cheers.

Jan 22, 2019 at 9:59 PM Post #5 of 5
Right now I'm looking to buy the Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pro since I don't mind paying for it, would you still recommend getting the ATH-AD700X instead?
Regarding the DarkVoice 336SE, the majority say to get new tubes like the Shuguang Treasure CV181-Z and Tung-Sol 6AS7.
https://www.thetubestore.com/shuguang-treasure-cv181-z
https://www.ebay.com/p/Tung-Sol-6AS...iid=312071881729&_trksid=p2047675.m4097.l9055
Would you recommend these replacements or are there better alternatives?
In terms of durability, how long do these last for? Is it necessary to replace the tubes annually?
Finally, do you have any other non-tube Amps you would recommend? Cheers.
If your ok spend the cash for the DT1990, go for it :)
After I got my Darkvoice 336SE, I spend about $30 for another set of tubes, not so much to improve audio quality, more so that I would have an extra set of tubes, in case a tube burned out.
I'm not sure what to say on the tubes your looking into, just not knowledgeable enough.

For other headphone amplifiers options, check out Massdrop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back