Recommendations for headphones upgrade
Jun 23, 2020 at 5:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Helmy93

New Head-Fier
I’m addicted to headphones and amp/dac setups.I had the “hd 58x” for about year and half and I like them in gaming, but in music listening it doesn’t give me that high detailed sound or separation between the instruments that I prefer. I decided to keep them for gaming and look for another pair that would be more satisfying, I heard a lot about planar drivers and why not giving it a try! I had a chance to try the “HE 400i v2”, I was surprised with such detailed sound as if I was hearing them for the first time! But wait where is that punchy bass that comes from planar drivers, I paired them to my “magni heresy” amp, they should had enough power but still lacking bass. They are well extended and I can hear the sub-bass, but wished I could get more punchy feel.
I found some reviewers talk about “Monolith M1060” and how close they are to $1000 headphones. I bought them on sale and yes these are what I’m looking for! Impact and punchy bass with good detail in treble region, but not good as the hifiman. I didn’t have issues with the 5k ringing and overall I was satisfied with them.
Since I don’t live in US and the “monoprice” is rare in Egypt, I had a good offer selling them with good price, and decided to upgrade to better headphones.
I’m thinking in the m1060c with open back mod since people say they are the better version of the m1060’s except for the soundstage. Also considering the m1070’s but from what I heard they lean more to warmer sound which I don’t prefer.
I need to upgrade to $350 headphones or slightly more if they worth. What options that I have other than monoprice? Is the “sandara” has that punchy bass as the m1060’s ?

Jun 23, 2020 at 9:30 PM Post #2 of 7
I bought the M1050’s a while ago and sent them back as they just had flabby bass and just weren’t that good the M1060 could be a different story don’t know as I haven’t heard them. Reviews are just one persons opinion as is mine but how close the 1060’s are to $1000 headphones seems like the are not as good as $1000 headphones but haven’t heard them so can’t say.

Jun 23, 2020 at 9:47 PM Post #4 of 7
If your focus is bass I wouldn't recommend just shopping for planars. They can definitely have good bass but depending on the level of "punch" you want, you might reconsider a closed back dynamic driver headphone. A lot of bassheads seem to still prefer them.

Also have you tried using EQ to increase the bass on any of those headphones?

Jun 23, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #5 of 7
If your focus is bass I wouldn't recommend just shopping for planars. They can definitely have good bass but depending on the level of "punch" you want, you might reconsider a closed back dynamic driver headphone. A lot of bassheads seem to still prefer them.

Also have you tried using EQ to increase the bass on any of those headphones?
Bass is not my highest priority in the headphones, I just felt the “hifiman he400i” lacks to much bass and EQ didn’t help as if it’s the best the driver could deliver.
However, the bass in the m1060 was perfect for me and responded very well to EQ.
Maybe I‘ll stick to m1060c or m1070.

Jun 23, 2020 at 10:52 PM Post #6 of 7
Bass is not my highest priority in the headphones, I just felt the “hifiman he400i” lacks to much bass and EQ didn’t help as if it’s the best the driver could deliver.
However, the bass in the m1060 was perfect for me and responded very well to EQ.

oops I somehow missed that entire sentence in the original post lol

Jun 23, 2020 at 10:56 PM Post #7 of 7

Fostex THX series...or Sony MDRz1 those company love bass

Users who are viewing this thread

Back