Recommendations please - Closed back headphone with good/great isolation, forward mids, around $300 (for work)
Jul 16, 2013 at 10:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

GoldfishX

100+ Head-Fier
Currently, I am running my DT660 with a Leckerton 6UHA MkII amp at work. They are great for classical music, but almost totally hit or miss with just about everything else. They have a wide soundstage and mids tend to sound very passive on them (on top of the overall sound being bass-light), to the point of being non-involving and almost annoying. So looking for something to deal with pop, classic rock and heavy metal.

Criteria:

Closed back with virtually no sound leakage.
Around ear (no on-ear), for reference Sennheiser Momentum is too small for my ears
$300 price range (will go higher for more quality, I already have the amp)
Comfortable
NO recessed mids, either forward or neutral mids
NO bloated bass, bass lite is fine though

Cans that I don't like:

Denon AHD2000 - Inconsistant from song to song, recessed mids, bloated bass, poor imaging, fatiguing to me
Sennheiser Momentum - Hated the look/fit, also inconsistant from song to song.
UE6000 - Too small around ears, didn't like at all from demo.

Cans I am considering:

AKG550 - Demoed them, they feel like a DT660 with stronger mids. Not in love with the fit and it sucks with thrash metal, but of the ones I'm actually able to demo, it's pretty good.

Sennheiser 428 - Cheapie, but I really liked the demo. Thinking it might be worth it for rock music only before I find something better. I liked their sound more than the Momentum, surprisingly.

Sennheiser 429 - Any difference between this and 428? I wasn't able to demo it.

Beyerdynamic T70 P - I love the fit of the 660 and this seems to be a more balanced alternative. Pricy, but looks like quality. 770 was also considered, but it has recessed mids.

ATH-M50 - Lots of recommendations for this guy, but worried about recessed mids again.

Sony - MDR-1R or MDR-7520 - How is the isolation on these guys? I know little about Sony phones, but the look on these are cool and they have been reviewed well.

Feel free to offer up suggestions.

Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back