Recommended IEMs for Grado Nerd
Nov 9, 2010 at 12:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

politbureau

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

Very long time lurker with my first post, but I'm in need of some expert advice.

Frankly I'm sick and tired of trucking my RS-2s everywhere to listen to music. I love the sound, but I look somewhat foolish sporting these on the treadmill.

I need something small and portable that still gives great sound. Since these won't be for critical listening, I don't need to spend a ton of money (less is better, but <$100 is fine), and I imagine my music bias will be more on the heavy side (rock, hip-hop, house) than my home listening (jazz, etc).

I've narrowed it down based on price and a lot of searching on these forums. I realize this is highly personal, but a push in the right direction would be helpful.

$100 - Monster Turbine
$100 - Phiaton PS 210
$ 90 - Panasonic RP-HJE900
$ 68 - Fischer Audio Eterna Rev 2

Fischer's seem to be the best all rounders, and from the comments I've read, the dynamic sound might be what I'm looking for, but I'm not 100% sold on over-the-ear all-the-time.

The same could easily be said of the Panny's or the Monsters, and the Phiaton's are harder to figure out (I've read isolation is bad).

Thoughts?

Cheers!

Nov 9, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #2 of 2
Of the 4 you listed, I only have the HJE900, and as well have Allesandro MS1.  Comparing those 2, they are vaguely similar in sound.  The Panasonic is stronger than the MS1 in the bass and highs, and not as spacious sounding, but that is mainly due to the 2 styles of phones.  Very few IEMs will have the spacious sound of an open full-size HP.

OTOH, the Panasonics are a little heavier than many IEMs, and may not stay in place while jogging, running, exercising, etc.  The Eternas may stay seatead better being over the ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back