remove solder from a through-hole (bantamDAC)
Dec 31, 2009 at 3:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

nullstring

Headphoneus Supremus
so, while I was making my bantamDAC I accidentally got some solder into one of the through-holes. Particularly, the ones where the USB connects to.

Normally, I'd just heat up the solder and push the part through...

but, because I am making a "cable-dac", I need to push strands up thin wire through. This.. is proving to be difficult.

Does anyone have any tips?

Dec 31, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by cobaltmute /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have wick and can't get, sometime I find adding more solder to help.

alright, I can give that a try.

Dec 31, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by dude_500 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
heat it up and move the iron to the edge of the hole and blow hard right at the hole, usually works

That works for me too, just be careful where the solder blows to.

Dec 31, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #9 of 16
braid as solder wick. have any coax in the house you can cut?
wink.gif

Dec 31, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #10 of 16
Get a bag of cheap resistors for a buck or two. Heat up the hole and run the resistor's lead through it a time or two. Use the other end if you need to.

The lead will usually wick up the solder and leave the hole clean.

Also, I usually put all of my clipped leads into a bowl while soldering a PCB. When I muck up a hole, I'll grab one of the clippings with needlenose pliers and use it in this way to clean out the hole.

Putting clipped leads into a bowl also speeds cleanup when you're done, too.

Dec 31, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get a bag of cheap resistors for a buck or two. Heat up the hole and run the resistor's lead through it a time or two. Use the other end if you need to.

The lead will usually wick up the solder and leave the hole clean.

Also, I usually put all of my clipped leads into a bowl while soldering a PCB. When I muck up a hole, I'll grab one of the clippings with needlenose pliers and use it in this way to clean out the hole.

I've been trying that already. Thanks for all the responses, I haven't been able to try anything out yet though.
EDIT: I think it's because the holes are really small, and I can barely get the resistor lead in. maybe if I can find one that has a really small diameter and it'll work.

Dec 31, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #12 of 16
if you cant sort it out; is there anything stopping you from using the pad on the top side for this wire?

Dec 31, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #13 of 16
I've struggled with this problem many a time and I think one secret to getting a lot of these tips to work is that the solder needs flux in it. After you heat it a few times, it dries up and doesn't move nearly as well. Adding flux or some more solder helps it flow again so you can poke or blow it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back