Replacement for Denon AH-D 1100
Apr 3, 2013 at 7:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Aliquot126

New Head-Fier
I have had the Denon AH-D 1100 for the past two years.  I absolutely loved the sound quality and comfort of these headphones, but found the durability lacking for a portable headphone.  I am looking for a good replacement in the $100-$250 range.

The cord was really sticky and seemed to catch on everything, so it got yanked a lot.  5 months after I had them the left ear sound went at the jack.  Had them replaced on warranty and they broke again the same way after another 5 months.  Second warranty replacement, 5 months later same thing!  I just had a new jack put on because the warranty was done.  After that the brittle plastic connecting the cans to headband broke, but I rigged up a fix.  Now the right headphone just suddenly stopped working and I can't find any position in the cord where it lost a connection.  I will probably take them apart and replace the cord sometime, but want a new pair for obvious reasons.

I listen to a lot of different genres:  Classic Rock, Electronic, Classical, Jazz.  I found the Denons to be great for a wide range of music, they had nice bass and well defined highs and mids, so want something similar.

I was looking at the AIAIAI TMA-1s on the recommendation of some friends.  They seem to be well known for both good sound quality and durability.  The only downside for me is they are on-ear rather than over ear, but that is a minor issue.

Can anyone compare the sound between the TMA-1s and AH-D 1100?

Does anyone have a recommendation of a durable headphone with similar sound and comfort?

Thanks for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back