Replacement for my SE215s
Feb 7, 2023 at 9:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jack33001

New Head-Fier
Howdy everyone, first post here.

Finally, after six and a half years, my Shure SE215s have kicked the bucket. Now, I'm looking for a replacement in the $100-$150 range - I listen to a wide enough range of genres that I would like a fairly versatile IEM, which I will be running off of my iPhone. So, here are what my thoughts were on the SE215s:

Pros:
- Excellent isolation
- Super snug fit
- Good in the mids and lows - maybe just a little bit bass heavy, but I'm nitpicking here
- Replaceable cables

Cons:
- Lacking a little bit in the high end
- Mediocre soundstage
- I can't really put my finger on it, but they felt like they were missing *something*; like if you took 'veiled' to an extreme. Maybe I'm unhappy with their detail?
- The cables were kind of crap

And here are the must-have features in my next pair of iems:

- Replaceable cables
- Good isolation
- Can be run from my iPhone (no amp)
- Maximum price of $150 new

So, given this info, what should I go for? Is there now a better fit for my needs than the SE215, or should I just get another pair? I should note, I think it would be fun to switch it up and try something new, but if you don't think there are better options for my needs, then by all means just recommend the SE215 again.

Feb 8, 2023 at 12:52 AM Post #2 of 3
Here's one possibility: Etymotic ER2XR. Highs are sharp; lows depend on the fit, which is crucial. With this design, your ear canals need to be deep; if so, bliss.

There's a return policy if the fit is not for you. Although they are always photographed with the triple flange tips, try the foamies for better comfort.

https://www.adorama.com/etyer2xr.html

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #3 of 3
Here's one possibility: Etymotic ER2XR. Highs are sharp; lows depend on the fit, which is crucial. With this design, your ear canals need to be deep; if so, bliss.

There's a return policy if the fit is not for you. Although they are always photographed with the triple flange tips, try the foamies for better comfort.

https://www.adorama.com/etyer2xr.html
That's an interesting option, but in the times I've tried deeper iem tips, I haven't been able to keep them in for more than ten minutes. I really liked the foam tips of the SE215s, but there's probably a better option now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back