Replacement for my Westone 3's
Jul 31, 2013 at 8:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Mcarter3

100+ Head-Fier
Thread has been relocated to Help and Recommendation section. Apologies 
redface.gif

Been quite a while since I have been on the site. I have my dream setup for over ears and amp and have been very happy with my portable rig (Ipod 5 running rockbox and westone 3's) until the time I decide to try out some customs. That was until my portable rig was stolen 
frown.gif

At this point I have replaced the ipod and gotten a storage upgrade as the 5.5 generation is now working with rockbox. For the headphones I know I could simply replace the W3's and be happy enough, the problem is there is something in me that would feel more cheated if I had to spend all this money over again and be right back where I was. I would like to use this as an opportunity to try something different, equal in quality or better that might suit me a little or a lot better.

I am looking for some input from some of the heavyweights of head-fi to steer me in the right direction

Taste in Music (in order of frequency of listening): 
I listen to the portable rig mainly at work and like lyricless music as it helps me zone in and concentrate. 

Electronic music -  Glitch Mob, tons of stuff from Beatport, Deadmau5, 
things like -Lindsay Sterling, Ratatat, Gramatik
Epic soundtracks- GOT, LOTR, etc
Classical

Then stuff with lyrics- Mumford and Sons, Monsters and Men, Edward Sharpe, Regina Spektor, Coldplay, Muse... Hip hop
Occasionally I get back to my rock roots but don't need the phones to be tailored for this

Thoughts on Signature:
I want- Natural, warm, musical, effortless. Something that will get my foot tapping and head nodding 
etysmile.gif

I am beginning to realize I am a bit of a basshead. I like it to be really present without drowning out the rest of the frequency range. I love really clear detailed highs. I am less concerned with mids but recently getting into some of the mumford and sons types of music I have found my D7000's to be a little lacking in clarity and texture. Not bad with this music but not impressive either. What I would really like to have is something that will impress with bass presence AND quality as well as overall clarity through the frequency range. Words I want to describe the highs: crisp, sparkling, clear. All this while being pleasant to listen to mid centered music , vocals and guitars etc. Mids are less of a priority though.

Usage:
Most of the time I will listen to these at the office, needs to be acceptable for leakage for a normal office environment (mainly not to disturb people around me as the office isn't very noisy) Would need to be able to use them on the occasional flight and long car ride. 

Price range:
600 USD is probably the max I could justify to myself and would definitely not want to push to that level without being very impressed with the headphones performance over the Westone 3's

Source:
gen 5.5 ipod classic all lossless music
Phones need to work great unamped or be able to be amped within the budget (and beat something of similar price without an amp)
I may get an amp in the future but its not on the buy list yet

IEM's on my radar:

Probably want to stick to universals:
JVC FX-700 (worried about leakage to co-workers)
Earsonics SM64
Westone 4
Monster Turbine Gold (worried about TOO much bass)
Heir Audio?? (Don't know much about their sound, don't know why they intrigue me)
IE8 (comes up a lot in my searches and don't know why it doesn't intrigue me)

Might consider customs... just a lot of commitment...
1964 quads

Last note: My stolen rig consisted of a gen 5 ipod classic in really nice condition. I had a leather case with red stitching and of course they were stolen with the Westone 3's and my long comply tips were on them. If you would, keep an eye out for things for sale that would match this description. The setup was stolen in the Peoria IL area.

aaaaaaannnnd GO!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back