Resolved: New default cursor location in "search this thread" field is very annoying
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 21, 2020 at 10:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

dsperber

500+ Head-Fier
When going to the first unread post or a page# in a subscribed thread, the cursor is placed by default in the "search this thread" field of the page. This is very annoying as it is the WRONG place for the almost expected END or HOME or page-up/down or arrow-up/down navigation keys next pressed to work from. If you don't notice where the cursor is and you just immediately start what you think is "navigating" on that displayed page with one of those keys you naturally encounter errors which you then must first recover from with some keystrokes, before actually then clicking somewhere else on the page to give the focus to the "text" so that the navigation keys will then work as expected.

This is new with the forum software changes. In my opinion it is wrong.

I'm glad that "search this thread" is available, but I don't know if it should actually be an entry area on every screen and where the cursor is placed by default when you land on any page. Other forums have a "thread tools" button which drops down and offers "search this thread", etc., so that the cursor is never place into so obviously wrong a location by default that the user is ALWAYS ANNOYED AND HAS TO RECOVER when using a regular navigation method.

The cursor should either be placed in a TEXT AREA by default, or the "search this thread" function should NOT be presented as it is on every page with the cursor placed into it by default when landing on that page. Some other approach is needed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back