Returned my ATH-M50 for a MDR-V6... good idea?
Jan 31, 2012 at 1:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

nothing4me

100+ Head-Fier
The ATH-M50 was great, but my head and ears would hurt because the clamping was just unbearable after an hour. It also felt very hot. So I returned them.

I bought the MDR-V6 today (should arrive soon!) because I heard they were a lot more comfortable (can wear them for a long time) and they sound pretty good (neutral). Did I do a good switch? Will I be missing anything? Aside from the V6 costing half the price of an M50, what are other benefits?

I should mention that I have a 30 day return on the V6's. :D

Thank you.

Jan 31, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #2 of 7
As far as I'm concerned, you traded up. About the only thing I felt the M50's did better was having more bass. Other than that, I think the V6's are a much better sounding headphone, especially their mid range.

Jan 31, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #3 of 7
Thank you :) I will let everyone know how they are once I get them. Hopefully they'll come by tomorrow!

Jan 31, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #4 of 7
Please do! I'd hate to build you up on them only to have you disappointed, though call me on it if you are.
tongue.gif

Jan 31, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #5 of 7
I agree with Kukuk here, but since everyone's ears are different you could perceive it much differently. The same actually goes for comfort.

Jan 31, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #6 of 7
I wouldn't say the V6 are better than the M50 at anything really but they are almost as good and for half price its definitely worth it (which is why I like recommending V6 over M50). I highly doubt you will be disappointed with their performance but I will say that the two problems you are complaining about on the M50 (comfort and heat) are not that much better on the V6.

Jan 31, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
I wouldn't say the V6 are better than the M50 at anything really but they are almost as good and for half price its definitely worth it (which is why I like recommending V6 over M50). I highly doubt you will be disappointed with their performance but I will say that the two problems you are complaining about on the M50 (comfort and heat) are not that much better on the V6.

Much, much better mids on the V6's, I feel. Other than that, soundstage might be a tad bigger on the M50's. But to me the mids just add so much more to enjoyment. I just can't enjoy a headphone that puts mids as it's lowest priority.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back